Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Weighing options after Fuel pump crapped out... time for EFI?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Mike Pettit

Default Weighing options after Fuel pump crapped out... time for EFI?

Hey everyone,

I've been talking with a few people at local shops around Los Angeles and I'm getting varied responses, figured I’d check in here and see what type of feedback I receive with my situation...

I recently bought a '67 mustang and I'm doing everything I can to it to make it a comfortable, reliable, efficient daily driver. Power Disc Brakes, front suspension upgrades and a new aluminum radiator with electrical fan are some of the upgrades I’ve done so far.

Recently my fuel pump went out and I thought maybe this is as good of a time as any to upgrade to a fuel injected system. I've been told my car will start easier on cold mornings, give me better gas mileage and be more efficient from a power standpoint with the conversion. The downsides seem to be the cost, seeing that I don’t mind modifying it away from an "original" car.

Some have recommended the Prof Products Powerjection 3, some have recommended removing a EFI system from a 87-93 mustang, some have said don’t put any RetroTek components as they fail regularly and need constant maintenance, so I’m left now contemplating my options and welcome any help/advice/feedback!

Do I go aftermarket EFI system? used from late model stang? just fix the fuel pump and dont sweat the EFI? reputable/affordable aftermarket EFI maker?

Thanks in advance...

Mike
Old 11-10-2012, 04:11 AM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

If you have the change to spare, a lot of self learning efi kits out exist out there and some of them make installation pretty freaking easy. But, I have imagined that the added cost of doing so would be equivalent to many miles of fuel you could buy leftover with the money you saved if you stuck with carb. I like many efi kits out there, for street cars anyways, and think it would be awesome to go fuel injection ( almost for the hot starting issues it would save alone!)
Old 11-10-2012, 05:55 AM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Hi,
I've pondered similar situations during my resto. I considered, "costs vs reward", "why I'm doing this", "am I bored", "am I comfortable afterwards with the maintenance", and "can it easily be reversed"etc. These questions, usually cure me and cause me to just do the simple fix....replace the component, save the money for another "hair-brained" idea.
Happy Motoring!
Old 11-10-2012, 09:58 AM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Consider an electric fuel pump?
I've had decent luck with Carter.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:44 PM
chillininnh
2nd Gear Member

If you are interested in TBI self adapting EFI systems a couple builders are coming out with their second generation units early in 2013. Holley is set to introduce "Terminator EFI" and Fast is releasing "EZ Efi 2.0". I have been reading up on the various aftermarket TBI Efi systems for a long time now and haven't heard enough positive reviews of any one system to take the expensive leap.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:02 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

if i was to go EFI id set it up with factory ford efi unless you want a more traditional look... take a look here at JamesW website on his EFI setup http://www.midnightdsigns.com/james/

if you decide to go ford efi find an explorer intake manifold it flows way more than the stock 5.0ho manifold. the explorer is basically a poor mans gt40/cobra intake
Old 11-11-2012, 06:49 AM
shelbymustangdan
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mike Pettit
Hey everyone,

I've been talking with a few people at local shops around Los Angeles and I'm getting varied responses, figured I’d check in here and see what type of feedback I receive with my situation...

I recently bought a '67 mustang and I'm doing everything I can to it to make it a comfortable, reliable, efficient daily driver. Power Disc Brakes, front suspension upgrades and a new aluminum radiator with electrical fan are some of the upgrades I’ve done so far.

Recently my fuel pump went out and I thought maybe this is as good of a time as any to upgrade to a fuel injected system. I've been told my car will start easier on cold mornings, give me better gas mileage and be more efficient from a power standpoint with the conversion. The downsides seem to be the cost, seeing that I don’t mind modifying it away from an "original" car.

Some have recommended the Prof Products Powerjection 3, some have recommended removing a EFI system from a 87-93 mustang, some have said don’t put any RetroTek components as they fail regularly and need constant maintenance, so I’m left now contemplating my options and welcome any help/advice/feedback!

Do I go aftermarket EFI system? used from late model stang? just fix the fuel pump and dont sweat the EFI? reputable/affordable aftermarket EFI maker?

Thanks in advance...

Mike

Hi Mike - I just converted over to the MSD Atomic EFI. I had some issues early on with a MAP sensor failure where the entire throttle body had to be swapped out since the MAP sensor wasn't designed to be replaced in the field. Something you may want to consider while shopping.

Prior to that, I had a 87-93 EFI on my 67. If you decide to go that route, PM me. I should have just about everything you need to do the conversion.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:34 AM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by shelbymustangdan
Hi Mike - I just converted over to the MSD Atomic EFI. I had some issues early on with a MAP sensor failure where the entire throttle body had to be swapped out since the MAP sensor wasn't designed to be replaced in the field. Something you may want to consider while shopping.

Prior to that, I had a 87-93 EFI on my 67. If you decide to go that route, PM me. I should have just about everything you need to do the conversion.
Wow that eliminates MSD EFI from my possibility list!
Old 11-12-2012, 11:25 AM
1971mach1
2nd Gear Member

You didn't say what engine you have. A smaller engine will get more noticable MPG gains from EFI. A big motor will see some gains but they just suck gas anyway.
Also what about your budget? Most new EFI kits are at least $2000 just for parts. As said, that pays for alot of gas, much more if you include labor to install EFI.
A new mechanical stock style fuel pump is really cheep, minuits to install and fairly reliable, so that's not really an excuse to go EFI.
On the Mach1, I went with a new Edelbrock carb with elect choke and it is almost as good as EFI (and much much cheeper and easier), so I forgot about the EFI idea.
If you start your car in very cold weather and/or high altitude, EFI will have a big advantage. But in moderate climates, not so much.

Last edited by 1971mach1; 11-12-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

I have used the Powerjection 3 for about 4 years now and have had ZERO issues. Start up is just turning the key,day or night, summer or winter.My buddy has the FAST EZ EFI and hates it.

Most of the comments you will get are usually from people that heard or read about bad experiences and not actual use.

Quick Reply: Weighing options after Fuel pump crapped out... time for EFI?