Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

67 i6 runs but dies after 2 minutes

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Ghost67cyl6

Default 67 i6 runs but dies after 2 minutes

My 67 has difficulty starting and when it finally does it will run perfect or about 2 minutes then dies without spitting or sputtering. So far it has new: fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel lines, ignition coil, plugs, plug wires, exhaust manifold, points, condenssor, vaccum advance, dist. button, dist. cap, radiator, water pump, starter solenoid and I just finished rebuilding the autolite 1100 carb. I've adjusted timing, checked the dwell and tach and tried everything that I can think of. It all started the day I bought the car. The previous owners put stop-leak in the radiator and it overheated. I had to replace the entire cooling system after that and the car hasn't run since. I'm not sure if that is connected to all of this but thats when it all started. This is my first classic car so if you have any advise I'd be glad to accept it, please just try and dumb it down a little for me.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Firstgothenshow

I would check for an excessively low carb float level and or a sticking needle / seat at the fuel inlet of the carb. Just for the heck of it check to ensure that the arrows on the fuel filter are pointing the correct direction. Next time it dies after running a few minutes look down into the carb with a flashlight and while looking open the throttle to see if there is any fuel left in the carb for the excellerator pump to give a good healthy squirt of fuel. If not, time to open the carb up and see where your problem is.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:40 AM
JHPSTANG
2nd Gear Member

Will it restart if you try it after it dies?
Old 12-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Ghost67cyl6

it will restart only if I use some starter fluid and even then its iffy
Old 12-06-2012, 09:16 PM
Cruzzar
1st Gear Member

Next time is dies go to the fuel filler cap and unscrew it an listen for the sound of air rushing into the filler neck. This would indicate a non vented tank. If so check the cap for a plugged vent hole. Could be the problem or may be not.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:34 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

In addition to the above suggestions...

There is a small 4-5" rubber hose connecting the fuel tank to the hard fuel line running up to the engine bay. Check to make sure that this little piece is in good shape and hasn't collapsed or filled up with goop. That'll stop your fuel flow in a jiffy.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:37 AM
Ghost67cyl6

Originally Posted by Cruzzar
Next time is dies go to the fuel filler cap and unscrew it an listen for the sound of air rushing into the filler neck. This would indicate a non vented tank. If so check the cap for a plugged vent hole. Could be the problem or may be not.
One of my buddies is a Ford mechanic and suggested removing the fuel cap at some point to see if that would keep it running. I guess thats the same thing that you are suggesting, but it didn't have any effect. So I guess theres something else happening here. I'm getting so frustrated that I've dreamed of setting the car on fire and dancing around it like a hethan.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:40 AM
Ghost67cyl6

Originally Posted by fastbackford351
In addition to the above suggestions...

There is a small 4-5" rubber hose connecting the fuel tank to the hard fuel line running up to the engine bay. Check to make sure that this little piece is in good shape and hasn't collapsed or filled up with goop. That'll stop your fuel flow in a jiffy.
I have great fuel flow to the carb. I'll check the hose when I get home just in case. Any thing else I can do in case the hose is fine?
Old 12-07-2012, 02:09 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Start back on ground zero. After it dies, do you still have good, blue spark at the plugs?
Old 12-08-2012, 05:18 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Is the fuel tank clean? You could be picking up trash.

What carb is on it? If its an Autolite 1100, some of the have issues with the needle and seat not staying in place. Some are pressed in and some are threaded. Unfortunately mine was pressed in. I know mine did back in high school when it still had the 200 in it.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 12-08-2012 at 05:38 AM.

Quick Reply: 67 i6 runs but dies after 2 minutes