Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Help make my Stepdad's Dream come true

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 07:54 PM
jpflick

Default Help make my Stepdad's Dream come true

My stepdad recently suffered a mild stroke which left his right hand with no feeling and very little movement and grip. Thankfully he still has his speech aside from intermittent slurs, but his hand paralysis has minimized his ability to operate his vehicles including his late 60's mustang coupe. It took him over 20 years to finally get a car he has been dreaming of for so long. Now the car is sitting in the yard with grass growing around it and it upsets me to think that the car my stepdad worked hard on to restore it is now turning into a junker. I would like to take over the project for him, but my main concern is his ability to drive the car with ease. He is the kind of guy that hates feeling helpless to perform such a simple task like driving and is slowly losing motivation to try driving vehicles. For a guy that gives so much to everyone, but never asks for anything in return, I feel that he deserves to have some good fortune thrown his way. Now that the story is out of the way, this is what i was thinking of doing and i will need someone's help with ideas and input on how to go about:

1. making it right hand drive so he can easily put the car in drive since the shifter will now be on his left (his good side)

2. Or, somehow fabricating a steering wheel shift lever on the left side of the steering wheel.

Which option would be the ideal approach? Or if there is any other ideas out there that would help, I'd Gladly appreciate it.

3. Finding a reliable shop in florida (preferably North florida) that can do either listed above as well as helping with the restoration process.

And, what are a few websites I can use to hunt down parts for the car.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:05 AM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

I believe a few companies sell rack and pinion steering for right hand steer, google might help you out there. Also, in Australia most old fords were right hand drive, so maybe an Australia ford forum could help? I am sorry for your stepdads troubles, is it only his right hand or right side of body that is disabled? IDK if his car is a stick but obviously converting it to an auto would eliminate issues with using both hands for driving. Wish you the best of luck.