Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 03:47 PM
teepee542
2nd Gear Member

Default Opinions needed

I normally hang out in the s197 sections so if this is not in the right place please move and if it is not appropriate please delete.

My first car was a 67 coupe. I had to sell it in 1987 and have been wanting another one since. I recently found this. They're asking $3,000. Is that reasonable?

Car has freshly rebuilt 289, C4 trans shifts great.new tires all way around. Everything on suspension rebuilt...springs, bushings , control arms, shocks, brakes brake lines and cylinders. Heater box and core replaced. Floor pan on driver side replaced. 4 barrel brand new edlebrock carb. New dual flowmasters and shorty headers.

I haven't seen it in person yet. here are some pics

Old 01-10-2013, 04:31 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Seems like a good deal. I paid 2500 for mine, solid body but worn out engine. Its got over 3000 in just the engine/transmission so I would go for it. Assuming that is your price range any car you get is going to need a lot of body work/paint.

Ask them if/when the gas tank was replaced. Not a show stopper, but something you might want to consider given that it has a new engine, hate to junk it up with 40 year old gunk.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:33 PM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

seems like a good deal, check it out in person and check for rust and see what shape the wiring is in
Old 01-11-2013, 04:46 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Sounds like a good deal,But that drivers quarter looks kinda ugly like rust covered in bondo but a quarter panel isn't hard to replace as long as nothing else is rusted out.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:03 AM
paulo
1st Gear Member

Probably a good deal. But b/c of rust in quarter, who knows what you find underneath. First picture looks like it is running and there is smoke coming out of the right tail pipe. Take a look at that. If really fresh rebuild rings may have not set or set incorectly. Or possible it just had not warmed up and was running rich. But probably a good deal as long as the underside is in decent shape.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:35 AM
teepee542
2nd Gear Member

I saw the smoke but thought it was condensation. we have had alot of cool wet days recently.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:45 AM
Bklyn 5.0

Sounds like a good deal but you never know for sure until you see it in person.

Don't forget your flashlight
Old 01-11-2013, 08:23 PM
paulo
1st Gear Member

Yeah could be condensation also. Thats why I said might not be warmed up lol. As long as it is not oil, its fine. I know some people do a bad rebuild or break in wrong and rings wont set. Or they have a bad ring and claim it was due to recent rebuild. If it is oil, be careful. Ask how long ago was rebuild done. Pictures tell a little but not enough lol. Looks a little blue (oil) so not sure whats going on. When you look at it, have him have the car cold when you get there. Then have it warm up to operating temp. If burns oil at first then stops, probably valve guide seals. Most cars not too bad of fix if you really want the car. If continues then there are other issues which could be as bad as taking engine apart. If white, then get close to pipe after it warms up. If rich, you will smell the unburned gas. If headleak and car has antifreeze may smell sweet. You will know if condensation b/c after running for a few minutes, it will disappear. I am providing this info b/c I dont know if you know it. If you do sorry for extra info lol. Part of my reservation is why so cheap if as advertised lol. But if as advertised, a good deal. if not you can get him to lower price accordingly or walk away.

Last edited by paulo; 01-11-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:04 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

looks kinda rough...there are holes torched in the shock towers...as said the quarter is fairly mangled...check the cowl to see if its solid or rusted out..if the cowl is gone the front floor pans are probably gone...id rather pay 3k for a car thats super solid with no drivetrain than a car with a drivetrain that needs a ton of sheet metal work...5.0's in explorers are a dime a dozen waiting to be dropped in a car or out of a late model mustang etc
Old 01-12-2013, 02:30 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

It has a cowl cover and said the drivers floor pan was replaced so the cowl is probably rusted out.I missed that hole in the shock tower with that and everything else pointed out 1500 to 2k is the max i would pay for it.If you can't weld i would pass on the car fixing that shock tower and quarter adds up fast and if the cowl is rusted out walk away from it.

Quick Reply: Opinions needed