Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Removal of dead weight

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 12:37 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Default Removal of dead weight

And I don't mean a body in the trunk!

Finally got enough parts to start on the next project which is All new suspension, steering, brakes, subrames and little stuff, in preperation for the big bad voodoo daddy V8 coming this spring.

Today was spent removing the old 6 cylinder components. Figured since I'm not reusing anything but the steer column and shaft, I'd remove it with the least amount of effort possible. The nice thing about a 6 cylinder car is that nothing gets stressed, so when you take things apart the body and frame stay where they are supposed to be. Also seeing as the steer box has a date with the garbage can, I cut the shaft at the box (5 minutes with a hack saw) instead of doing it the way I've seen some of these magazine article do it.

This big pile of dirt in the picture is out of the indent in the frame below the upper control arm. I'm thinking of putting it on ebay as "Dirt that Elvis almost drove near". That alone should pay for the whole project!

Got the under body cleaned up and painted, so tomorrow will be modifying the steer column and installing bearings in the pedal support. Then if I can get away with hiding in the garage I might start some of the reassembly.

So here is the list of what goes up front:

Opentracker Upper contol arms and roller spring perches
Global West Lower control arms.
Street or Track strut rods
1" sway bar w/Prothane bushings
Randall's Rack Power rack and pinion
V8 spindles (yes I'm actually using a couple of original V8 parts...just for Soaring)
13" Cobra disc brakes
Power brake booster with dual stage Master cylinder for 4 wheel disc (next project is rear end)
TCP Subframe connectors with Cross mount
Roller bearing kit for clutch & brake arms
rebuild of stock clutch linkage

Here's a couple of pictures of the old stuff.

I'll post as stuff goes together.

[IMG]local://upfiles/16598/BDF89125558442F5B86D6E1E913CB107.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16598/AB891349AFD54948A8ADBADB84C3183E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16598/63AD09F99A50499793E4AB8C4928D0DF.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-01-2005, 12:43 AM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Removal of dead weight

That thing is going to handle nice, when finished.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:45 AM
nualln
3rd Gear Member

Why keep the steering column? Go with a collapsible one.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:47 AM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

Man i would love to just have a decent cash flow. the things i would do. This summer i have to work my *** off 24/7.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:00 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

6Mustang6,

that is the plan. This car will see auto-X/opentrack as well as a little drag racing.

Nualln,

Thought seriously about that, but a proper colapsable column takes more engineering time to do correctly then I can put into the project at this point. So that will have to come at a later date. Tilt, and colapsable will be the eventual install, probably before complete dissassembly for restoration in a couple of years.

Tylerdru,

Been in your shoes. All I can tell you is stay in school, get good grades, and don't settle for a carreer if you don't like the work. The most successful people do it for the love. The money just comes along with it. BTW: most everyone I know who is successful works their *** off. They just love what they do, which makes it seem like it's not work.

Oh, and marry a rich, non-famous girl
Old 10-01-2005, 01:03 AM
nualln
3rd Gear Member

What's the safety factor in putting in a collapsible column. Any horror stories of people getting a steering wheel in the face because of their solid column?
Old 10-01-2005, 01:21 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Great question, and I have not done the research yet to give you a good answer.

There are issues with tech inspections at opentrack events, and autocross, and to some extent drag racing, as well as I want to make sure that what I do works right and gives the best possible protection.
That means I need to spend the time to talk with other racers, and tech inspectors, so that hopefully I will not have to re-invent the wheel (no pun intended) and can come up with something that doesn't involve all kinds of time modifying. Best case scenario is finding someone who has all ready done it, has a kit, and it works incredibly well.
It's really a time thing (as in, I ain't got enough time!!!!![:@] ). I'm really kind of pushing it with all this that I am doing. I just promised her it will be a car she will enjoy driving.

I keep looking, and I've heard a few things but nothing concrete...yet.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:24 AM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

At fifteen I already have a job but due to laws i cant work past 7:00pm at night and no more than 3 hours during school days. It is stupid IMO because I make good grades. I think my parents should decide how late they want me to work as long as my grades stay up.
I dont know what im doing after high school. Im joining the navy and getting paid to learn. Or going to college only. College and the navy have the same job types that im looking into. Both my uncle and Grandpa were in the navy. Now my uncle makes 130,000 a year and my grandpa makes about 60,000 a year doing nothing but fishing out on the gulf. Man I love saltwater fishing!
Old 10-01-2005, 01:30 AM
nualln
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tylerdru

At fifteen I already have a job but due to laws i cant work past 7:00pm at night and no more than 3 hours during school days. It is stupid IMO because I make good grades. I think my parents should decide how late they want me to work as long as my grades stay up.
I dont know what im doing after high school. Im joining the navy and getting paid to learn. Or going to college only. College and the navy have the same job types that im looking into. Both my uncle and Grandpa were in the navy. Now my uncle makes 130,000 a year and my grandpa makes about 60,000 a year doing nothing but fishing out on the gulf. Man I love saltwater fishing!
Tyler, dont do what I did at your age and work my *** off. I know there are things you want, but you have the rest of your life to work. Take it easy for now, cause you'll hate it once you get to be in your late teens.

Also dont be in a hurry to finish your car. There are things I'm putting off just because I need something to do on a rainy day. So take it slow and you'll love what youve done.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:39 AM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

Its not rushing. its money! I am pretty much done buying things after christmas (i hope) then i will save up for paint until the end of summer, or until i have the money. My parents might front me money for some disc brakes because drums are not too safe. I saw a video of somebody doing wet sanding. It was like they were washing their car with sandpaper. (very random) I will cut my work time down a good bit once its painted.

Quick Reply: Removal of dead weight