Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Mustang Sally

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 07:13 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang Sally

Im 17, and heres a list of people and groups that have sang a Song called Mustang Sally

Bruce Springsteen
Buddy Guy f Jeff Beck
CCR
Commitments
Eric Clapton
Fat joe
Grand Funk Railroad
Hootie and the blow fish
Joe Cocker
John Fogerty
Johnny Lang
los lobos
Magic Slim and the teardrops
Mitch Rider and the detroit
Muddy Waters
Otis Redding
Rufus Thomas
Stray Cats
Tom Jones
Tracey Steele band
and last but not least Wilson Pickett.

Now, ill say it again, these are people who sung a song called MUSTANG SALLY, but it might not be the same song.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:36 PM
66 Hardtop 5.0
2nd Gear Member

First of all Dan66, you don`t have to be an old fart to have knowledge about "old" music!!! Our young friend 6mustang6 has his facts straigth. Though I`m not sure `bout the Eric Clapton part.

And to be sure we haven`t missed any of the the well-known artists with recordings of Mustang Sally, here`s a few more (no it`s not any obscure concert bootlegs etc. I`ve only included those who have the song on any official album release)
The Coasters
The Rascals (The young rascals)
Van Morrison and Joe Cocker
The Kingsmen (excellent btw)
The Gadjits
All of these five has, in my opinion, excellent interpretations of the classic song
And 6mustang6, the bands you`ve listed don`t have a song called Mustang Sally, they have the song Mustang Sally. (except maybe Clapton, who I only know for sure has Lay down Sally)

btw I`m 29
Old 10-03-2005, 11:54 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

WEll, least i was mostly right., just because im young mean doesn't mean i dont any any old music. Actually, i like alot of the old bands, like the beatles, Eagles, etc.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:00 AM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

I like the eagles but not the beatles
Old 10-04-2005, 12:03 AM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

well, i like Paul Macartney. Did you watch him last years Super bowl? but the EAGLES are awesome.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:28 AM
Dan66
3rd Gear Member

Well, I certainly could be wrong - it happened once before. But here's where I'm coming from: I've been listening to CCR since the early 70s. I grew up on them. I've bought every CCR and post-CCR solo effort. I've played and sang their stuff in clubs and have seen John Fogerty live front row center. I've scavenged up everything "CCR" that I can find for years. (I'm just trying to establish that I'm a real hardcore fan!) So, how have I missed their cover of my favorite soul song about my favorite car? I'm not saying it isn't possible; I'm just wondering how it's happened!

I checked the back of every album this evening (to no avail) and have found this online listing of the complete CCR discography: http://www.leirvag.no/creedence/discogr.htm

Mustang Sally is not listed anywhere on any of their original releases or collections or live recordings. If they did cover it, I need a copy now! But where is it available and how could I not have ever heard it? Surely you can understand my confusion!
Old 10-04-2005, 03:30 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

There have probably been more bands that have performed it than we might expect. I too have never heard Creedence perform it, but who knows, maybe they did. Here is an obscure version that I had never heard of. http://www.mp3.com.au/album.asp?id=5549
What I remember from CCR is "Proud Mary", "Walk on the Water", "Down on the Corner" and "Who'll Stop the Rain." They may have recorded Mustang Sally, but it is not listed in their discography. http://www.creedence-online.net/
Old 10-04-2005, 06:54 AM
66 Hardtop 5.0
2nd Gear Member

Sorry, missed that one in my last post. Bad, since the CCR listing is really the biggest issue in this thread. I can`t find any recordings of CCR and Mustang Sally.
What I did find though, is that in an overview, Mustang Sally is number 30-something on a list over incorrectly tagged mp3 files on peer-to-peer share sites. This may be the reason why so many believes CCR did an official recording.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:53 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Here are so more bands that recorded it.
http://www.secondhandsongs.com/song/11408.html
Old 10-05-2005, 12:26 PM
Dan66
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 6mustang6

I know CCR has done it, Eric Clapton, and others. I can look them up tomorrow.
Had a chance to confirm either one of these? I still say neither touched it...

Quick Reply: Mustang Sally