Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Lifters keep collapsing wth is going on??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 12:20 AM
Gun Jam

ones i have now
Old 03-23-2013, 09:40 AM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
ones i have now
I don't think you can Do it that way and get perfect results, I do beleive that you must use a solid lifter for proper measurements.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:28 PM
Gun Jam

In the center is in the center its only as exact as my eyeball....but yes best case is I should have used a mock up lifter to help measure push rod lenght... but the result looks dead on.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:42 PM
Gun Jam

Hey check this out

The above image is of the collapsed lifter. Notice the metal fragment protruding from the check valve. multiple metal fragments lodged in check valve viewable by looking down the bore.

Above image same lifter check valve removed fragments blocking check valve now visible.

above image of second lifter that was functioning normally despite the same failure of whatever the **** that metal disc thing is because metal fragments had not entered check valve.

wtf is going on??

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2013, 04:50 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

im wondering if you are having PTV clearance problems??
Old 03-31-2013, 05:43 PM
Gun Jam

whats ptv?
Old 03-31-2013, 09:13 PM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Default lifter issue?

Hi,
Two questions...
1. Given the lifters are considered quality lifters, was all of the due diligence given to PR Geo? Have you spoken with the seller/mfg.
2. Given the lifters may be China knock-offs? Poor quality?
Just asking not judging!
One does not, normally, see shrapnel in a lifter.
Good Luck!
Old 03-31-2013, 10:19 PM
Gun Jam

1. again what is pr geo.( pushrod geometry?) If so I asked comp how to determine if it was correct. They said color top of valve stem black with marker and roll engine over by hand ... you should have a wear mark center of the valve stem approximately .080 wide I have this its dead center and a perfect rectangle shape. I used adj pr tool to find length... It could be wrong but I dont know what I could do to make it better or determine if it was wrong. I have spoken to comp and I just found this today so I plan to speak to them further and they are still helping me out.

2. not knock offs ordered direct from comp.

shrapnel is from what appears to be a thin steel disc used to guide oil to the edge of the lifter exit on top before entering the pushrod rather than allowing it to blow straight through the center. This disc is sandwiched between a ledge inside the lifter piston (thing in top photo silver in color with hole in it.) and the cap (black in color push rod sits in it) and it got split into a lot of pieces somehow

Thanks
Old 03-31-2013, 10:22 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

ptv=piston to valve clearance
Old 03-31-2013, 10:41 PM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
1. again what is pr geo.( pushrod geometry?) If so I asked comp how to determine if it was correct. They said color top of valve stem black with marker and roll engine over by hand ... you should have a wear mark center of the valve stem approximately .080 wide I have this its dead center and a perfect rectangle shape. I used adj pr tool to find length... It could be wrong but I dont know what I could do to make it better or determine if it was wrong. I have spoken to comp and I just found this today so I plan to speak to them further and they are still helping me out.

2. not knock offs ordered direct from comp.

shrapnel is from what appears to be a thin steel disc used to guide oil to the edge of the lifter exit on top before entering the pushrod rather than allowing it to blow straight through the center. This disc is sandwiched between a ledge inside the lifter piston (thing in top photo silver in color with hole in it.) and the cap (black in color push rod sits in it) and it got split into a lot of pieces somehow

Thanks
Hi,
Sorry for the use of acronyms. Yes, push rod geometry is an important process in setting up a valve train. They (Comp) stated.080, OK. As long as that process was followed through to a successful completion, as a lot of stress can be placed upon lifers. Just as being too tight, too tight, tends to lower vacuum and stress lighter internals, as mentioned.
Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Lifters keep collapsing wth is going on??