Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 11:24 AM
82gibsonlespaul

Default Help please

Hey guys, a couple questions,
1. I bored my 70 302, .40, went from a 2V to 4V (600 holly), high rise aluminum intake, ported and polished, bigger cam and headers.... how much hp do you think that will give me?

2. I went to start it up, she fired but I heard a really LOUD scraping sound... Though it was the starter not disengaging.... shut it off immediately...Changed out the starter yesterday, tried it again and same sound... took off my inspection plate and saw some metal chips. Did I put the flywheel on backwards (Didn't think that was possible) or could I have missed spacers?

Any help would be awesome; I would like to drive my car once more before I get deployed again.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:50 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

automatic or manual?
Old 05-22-2013, 11:56 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

if it's an automatic, the converter might not be fully seated. Remove the spark plugs and turn the motor by hand. Could be the starter, or converter, or flywheel (manual). You gotta flywheel tool? There about $20 at any parts store. use it to turn the motor from under the car and listen closely.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:19 PM
82gibsonlespaul

Its an automatic..
Old 05-22-2013, 05:58 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

put the front up on jack stands and throw it in neutral. With inspection plate removed on tranny, turn the motor using the flywheel tool and listen for scraping. it will make it easier to turn if the spark plugs are removed. If your are confident you're not rubbing metal on metal, inspect your starter and bendix closely. The converter and flexplate should be comfortably seated a good 1/4"-1/2" or more from the block and adapter plate. If its close, then the converter bolts ends are probably hitting the block or bell housing. To correct it you'll need to unbolt the converter, loosen the tranny to motor, and turn the converter til it seats. Secret, use old head bolts at 10 and 2 as you remove the bell housing bolts, they can be used as guides to slide the tranny back, and then forward once the converter is seated. Last you discover the converter/flex plate is not the prob, it's likely your starter. Ohh, just remembered something, if your converter has a drain plug, there's only one spot (hole) where it can line up and match up the the flex plate, otherwise the drain plug pushes on the flex plate, which pushes against the adapter plate. (this is the one that got me)

Last edited by groho; 05-22-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:41 AM
82gibsonlespaul

Thanks for your help, you hit the nail on the head.. the plug wasn't lined up. you rule Bro thanks.