Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Big poops

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 08:50 PM
jterr

Default Big poops

Been working on a 67 Coupe and it somehow shifted off the scissor jacke...not sure what happened..
It is now sitting on 3 stands as the drivers side rocker is not attached(replacing off donor).
I'm trying to figure out how to get it re-leveled. I have 2 jacks where the front of the rear springs connect to the frame and have that level.
Any suggestions as to where to go next???
The drivers side A-pillar,firewall,floorpan is not connected(removed to replace).....LOST as what to do
Old 05-25-2013, 06:33 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Take that scissor jack and toss it, those should never be trusted to do what it sounded like you were trying to do with it. If you were under the car when it happened, well........ Get the idea?

Please post pics of what things look like now so we can try and help you get the car back up to where it should be.

At least you weren't under the car when it shifted off the jack, so thank god for small favors in giving you a lesson.

Good luck.
Lynn
Old 05-25-2013, 11:23 AM
jterr

As you can see I'm working on a flat bed trailer,so I don't have to deal with the sand floor.
Have some pics ,but don't know how to get them on here..figured out

The only area I got level is under the rear of car on the frame. There is a area from windshield pillar across that is level but the drivers side is not attached to anything.

I'm trying to level up so I can finish attaching drivers side rocker and A-Pillar, then fix firewall and proceed I hope.

Before it shifted all my measurements were within .001-.005.

I'm only using the scissor jacks to adjust heights.

Appreaciate any suggestions

Last edited by jterr; 05-25-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:50 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Next time maybe use a small floor jack.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:18 PM
jterr

Originally Posted by fastbackford351
Next time maybe use a small floor jack.
Great advise;;;;; but not solving the problem that is NOW at hand
Old 05-25-2013, 08:41 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jterr
Great advise;;;;; but not solving the problem that is NOW at hand
But the scissor jack was/is part of the problem and needs to go before you continue. It is not stable enough for what your doing, AS YOU FOUND OUT, loose it and get a better jack. You will kill your self or someone else should they go underneath that thing with that scissor jack under it.
Lynn

Last edited by LynnBob Mustang; 05-25-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:42 PM
jterr

Originally Posted by LynnBob Mustang
But the scissor jack was/is part of the problem and needs to go before you continue. It is not stable enough for what your doing, AS YOU FOUND OUT, loose it and get a better jack. You will kill your self or someone else should they go underneath that thing with that scissor jack under it.
Lynn
Still don't understand why y'all can't just answer my question and get over the scissor jacks(I Get IT). I also have a small floor jack,,but it leaks down so I use the scissor to go up and down, they don't stay there.
I nor anyone else goes under the car unless it is completly supported..
Thanks
Old 05-26-2013, 06:55 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Am I missing something? Are you asking how do you re-level your car? Not trying to be a wise ***, (somebody make a note of this).

If the scissor jack is all you have then you could use chocks of wood & shims placed under the car to crib the whole rig up in place while you are working to get it level.

Put some cribbing under the car so the whole thing can't come tumble turding all the way down.

Last edited by fastbackford351; 05-26-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:28 AM
jterr

Originally Posted by fastbackford351
Am I missing something? Are you asking how do you re-level your car? Not trying to be a wise ***, (somebody make a note of this).

If the scissor jack is all you have then you could use chocks of wood & shims placed under the car to crib the whole rig up in place while you are working to get it level.

Put some cribbing under the car so the whole thing can't come tumble turding all the way down.
Thanks makes sense..

Yes I need help with getting the car back level, as you see in one of the pics I only got the bottom level at the rear frames. There is nothing in the front on drivers side to put any kind of jack; so I'm dealing with only 3 points.
Hope that is clearer...
Old 05-28-2013, 09:33 PM
Couper
2nd Gear Member

Not a flame, and you're waaaay past this point, but why did you start this on a trailer and not a flat ungiving surface. Even when you get it back level, this will change with tire pressure.

Any chance of moving it to a flat surface and starting over,....?

Quick Reply: Big poops