Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Locked up and skidden into ditch, help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Divarose

Unhappy Locked up and skidden into ditch, help?

My son was driving our 66 mustang doing about 60mph on a highway, when he said he heard an unusual rattle. He pulled over checked the car and couldn't find anything. When he started up again the rattle was gone. About 2 miles down the road the rattle came back and in what he says was a minute the car locked up both rear wheels and he started skidding and ended up in the ditch. Had the car towed (flatbed) home and just wondering what you all think might be the issue.

Current symptoms:
Rear wheels turn in opposite directions when on jacks.
Transmission locked in gear, can't get it into neutral.
Starts and runs fine.

We are thinking either the rear end locked up or the transmission failed? Suggestions?
Old 06-03-2013, 03:09 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

No disrespect...how old is your son? wheel hop causes allot of rattling... Just saying....
Old 06-03-2013, 03:11 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Sounds like the trans. When in the air with a diff, the rear wheels will typically spin in opposite directions...that's just how differentials work. They spin in the sme direction with lockers or certain limited slip diffs.

If you can't get the trans out of gear, and the rear locked up....my guess is a bearing failure in the trans. Manual or auto? In either case a bearing failure will jam it up and prevent rotation, which also misaligns the shifting linkage and jams it up from changing gears.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:12 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

I thinking the same, but wouldn't a bearing problem be evident all the time once its failed, in other words it can't clear up on its own and fail again. If everything turns like it should, try checking the u-joints.

Last edited by groho; 06-03-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:16 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

U joints could be inconclusive though. If the trans locked up, the shock from the initial lock up could possibly damage u joints. So bad u joints could mean bad u joints....or they could be bad from the trans.

Pull the driveline and see if the output shaft in the trans is off center. If you can't get it out of gear, can you turn the engine over by hand with the driveline out, or see if it's locked.

If it's an automatic, do you guys use the parking brake BEFORE you put in in park, or BEFORE you let off the brake pedal after putting it in park?
Old 06-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Gun Jam

When the car starts and runs fine...both of the rear wheels also spin correct? Im guessing you started the car with it on jack stands.

-Gun
Old 06-03-2013, 03:49 PM
Divarose

Hi all,
Thanks for all your quick responses. Answering a couple questions:
Our son is 18yo.
It is a 1966 200 3 speed manual.
It is locked in gear. It starts fine, but if I let off the clutch it stalls out and will not move the tires.
It seems like it is in neutral, NOT!! Cannot get it into neutral.
The tire rotation done on the jacks was moving it with my hand not under engine power. That is when they go in opposite directions.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:52 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Time to pull the trans. Get it rebuilt, or replace it with something more modern.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:00 PM
Divarose

So I understand that the wheels are suppose to turn in opposite directions, lol, learning a lot. Thanks. So that leads me to believe with what you all are saying it is the transmission. We have only had the car for a couple months and are still in the process of going through the mechanical stuff and either replacing things or repairing / oiling / greasing, etc. etc.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:02 PM
Divarose

Thank you all very much!!

Quick Reply: Locked up and skidden into ditch, help?