Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Killeen, TX area

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 12:30 PM
carlosintx

Default Killeen, TX area

Hi. I'm new to the forum and have quite the dilemma.
I am the proud owner of a 1967 coupe but there is a problem. It is sitting in my garage and I can't get it to start. I've talk to some people and they have mentioned everything from starter to timing belt. I could really use some help. Would love to get it started so I can drive it to places and start getting it fixed up.
If anyone can help, please let me know.
Thanks in advance.

Carlos
Old 06-05-2013, 01:05 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

You need to supply more info. What engine? Does the motor turn over, but not start? Does the starter not engage. Does the starter solenoid click? You have to start troubleshooting, not by what you think it is, but ruling out what it's not. If it cranks it could be weak spark, bad gas, gummed up carb. If it won't even turn over it could be a dead battery, bad starter, bad solenoid. If it just clicks like clack, clack clack, it could be just a bad battery. Had you tried a good battery or jumping it?
Old 06-05-2013, 10:17 PM
carlosintx

Sorry, I guess I should of put more into my message.
I believe it is a 351W, not sure. Right below the Holley 4 barrel it says "performance 351W".
It clacks but doesn't catch to start. Just keeps going like it is trying to engage to start but I can't even get it grab.
I had the battery checked and it is good.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:00 AM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

If it clacks and your battery tests good (not always conclusive) CLEAN all of your battery connections to the starter, solenoid, ground, and the battery terminals. If they are oxidized you won't get the power to the starter and you would get the symptoms described. You can also take a screwdriver to the solenoid and bridge the connection between the battery and the starter. If it turns over your solenoid may need replacing.