Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Atomic EFI anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 01:32 AM
chriscdev

Default Atomic EFI anyone?

I have just purchased a complete MSD Atoomic EFI setup for my 65 289 equipoed Mustang. I would like to hear from anyone who has already installed one on their car. I plan on documenting the installation and carefully describing any difficulties I encounter along the way. Would be great to hear from others who may be able to offer their insight!

Chris D.
El Paso, Texas
Old 09-10-2013, 02:11 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

I just got off the interweb looking for a goid price on it. I am gonna buy in the next two weeks. When are you gonna start your install
Old 09-10-2013, 11:30 AM
chriscdev

Since I live in El Paso, I am lucky enough to have MSD headquarters just a few miles away and also Rick's Tank's http://www.rickstanks.com/ just a mile from home.

Rick's is making me a custom high capacity EFI fuel tank with an in tank pump and a provision for a return line. It should be ready to pick up this week and I will begin my install this weekend.

All the research I did lead me to the conclusion that the best way to install the Atomic EFI (or any EFI System for that matter) was with an EFI specific tank and the return line - even though you can install without a return line. I wanted to make sure I had an extremely reliable system for my Mustang - do it right the first time!

I purchased the following items for my install from MSD:

Atomic EFI throttle body kit - part 2910
MSD distributor - part 8579
Black cap (instead of red) - part 84313
Adjustable rotor - part 84211** See note below
6A Box -part 6201
Fuel Return Pump Kit - part 2922

I purchased the following items from http://www.anplumbing.com/, they sell the same push on hose that comes with the return line kit so everything matches!

Aeroquip hose (for supply) - part FBN0600
XRP 6-AN push on fittings - parts 239006BB & 23006BB
Product Eng Fuel Filter - part 7507-6

**I bought the adjustable rotor so that the Atomic can control the timing - watch the MSD how to video here:

A few other items I bought were a fuel pump block off plate and a water outlet with a 3/8"NPT port for the engine temperature sensor, since the one on my intake was not the right size and I wanted to retain the stock temp gauge in my dash.

http://www.atomicefi.com/uploadedIma...r%20Outlet.jpg and http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...&keyword=84831

I will keep you posted on the install, hopefully I will be up and running by the end of the weekend!
Attached Thumbnails Atomic EFI anyone?-atomic-efi.jpg  
Old 09-10-2013, 12:51 PM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

I move to El Paso next summer (to attend the Sergeants Major Academy)...Are there any good paint / body shops there? I've been putting the paint / body thing off for almost 6 years. Sorry to change the subject.

I'm also interested in how your EFI gets installed, I was looking at an EFI for my 428.

James
Old 09-10-2013, 04:48 PM
chriscdev

James,

I bought my car fully restored because I could not find the right shop in El Paso.

I had a 66 that needed lots of panel replacement and such and found that the local shops were not interested in a restoration. Your car doesn't look like it needs extensive work like my 66 did so you may have better luck than I did.

My new Mustang was a rotisserie restoration and is beyond perfect on every square inch of the car, however I do not have the specific information on that process as I purchased the car through an intermediary.

I am looking forward to the EFI. I went to visit Rick's Tanks today to see the progress of the new EFI tank, it is a piece of art! I will post some pictures soon.

Chris

Chris
Old 09-10-2013, 05:55 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Make sure the ECU is powered directly by the battery, and all your wiring is kept clear of other power sources, and especially the ignition system components. EMI is the single largest bane of all EFI systems, and not properly isolating the wiring will cause you endless problems that are difficult to diagnose.

With any EFI system, how it's wired up is the single most important thing to do right.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:57 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Originally Posted by chriscdev
James,

I bought my car fully restored because I could not find the right shop in El Paso.

I had a 66 that needed lots of panel replacement and such and found that the local shops were not interested in a restoration. Your car doesn't look like it needs extensive work like my 66 did so you may have better luck than I did.

My new Mustang was a rotisserie restoration and is beyond perfect on every square inch of the car, however I do not have the specific information on that process as I purchased the car through an intermediary.

I am looking forward to the EFI. I went to visit Rick's Tanks today to see the progress of the new EFI tank, it is a piece of art! I will post some pictures soon.

Chris

Chris

Yep because it is very labor intensive doing resto work. in a shop they will have a car for a lonnnng time and only work on it when they are really slow or they will charge more to concentrate on it. you can make a lot of money more quickly doing simple bumper jobs instead of putting multiple guys on one resto
Old 09-12-2013, 11:56 AM
chriscdev

Default Rick's Tank progress

Here are a few pictures of the progress on my new EFI Tank, I had them make it taller so I could have additional range. It should hold approx. 21-22 gallons. The sending unit and pump mounting flanges are tacked in, and the filler neck and vent are ready to set as well. Of course they still need to put the mounting flanges on and polish it up, but things are looking real good!
Damn I'm excited.
Attached Thumbnails Atomic EFI anyone?-ricks-tank-1.jpg   Atomic EFI anyone?-ricks-tank-2.jpg   Atomic EFI anyone?-ricks-tank-3.jpg   Atomic EFI anyone?-ricks-tank-4.jpg  
Old 09-15-2013, 06:14 AM
shelbymustangdan
2nd Gear Member

Hi Chris,

I purchased the Atomic EFI last year. I have a 67 with a 408W, Edelbrock top end package, etc.

What I have done/learned so far:
1. I could not stand the fuel pump noise with their externally mounted pump in "pulse mode". (non return style fuel system) About 5 month ago, I purchased the Aeromotive Stealth Fuel tank, which includes thier fuel pump and sending unit. The tank is made by Tanks Inc. MUCH quieter and I'm happy with the tank, although I wish it had a drain plug.
2. Also, regarding the return sytle -vs- returnless style. In my case, a return style fuel set up was the way to go. I ran with both, and it seems better with a return. (although I was primarily addressing the fuel pump noise issue)
3. The throttle response is better than ANY carb set up I have ever driven. It is truely as nice as a new car EFI. (throttle response)
4. After running it, I changed over to allowing the Atomic to control timing. Again, another noticeable difference. I wanted to install the EFI only first, then install the Digital Ignition Control box a few months latter, therefore introducing changes one at a time in case there were issues.

My biggest challenge, even today, it tweaking the various settings. In part because I'm a self taught weekend warrior mechanic and don't thoroughly understand some of their explanations of the settings. I would love to find a shop somewhere close, who has experience tuning them on a dyno, save those settings, and call it a day.

If I can think of anything else, I will share my experiences.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:07 PM
chriscdev

I have completed the installation of the Atomic EFI, all I can say is WOW!!

It is so much smoother, and idles like a champ at 800 rpm, even with the AC on. I have not messed around with the settings yet, it has all the factory defaults. I can only imagine how much better things will be once I dial it in.

I plan on taking the car to MSD here in El Paso to show let them see it and maybe get some pointers on how to adjust the settings to the car.

Will post more pictures of the installation process next week when I have some time to do so.

If you are on the fence about the Atomic, get off and buy it!! Worth every penny and more!

Chris

Quick Reply: Atomic EFI anyone?