Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Front Floor Support repair suggestions: 67 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 01:38 PM
shelbymustangdan
2nd Gear Member

Default Front Floor Support repair suggestions: 67 coupe

The two front floor supports on my 67 coupe have seen better days. Years of using them as jack points, and who knows what else, have left them in sad shape. In fact, the passenger side on actually has a tear in the metal, not just dents. (not pictured)

Anyway, I have replaced my battery apron and radiator support in the past couple of months, and I'm feeling good about my work. So I am now considering repairing or replacing the two front floor supports since they are in sad shape.

I have attached two pictures of the drivers side support for reference, and here are my questions for those who may have done this before.

1. Do I have to remove the "Front Floor Crossmember" (the support piece that arches over the transmission tunnel and touches both floor supports) ? Or just the welds that attach them to the Front Floor Supports?
2. How do I deal with the Torque Box metal plate that attaches to the bottom side of the Front Floor Support? Do I grind away those welds (not spot welds) shown in the picture? Should I just cut the metal around the torque box metal plate? Ideas?
3. I am the type of guy that likes to do things right. (any project around the house) Am I missing a better solution than complete replacement? Do they make repos that would fit around the outside of the existing ones, like a glove, so they don't need to be removed? Is there a better approach not mentioned above yet?

Any feedback or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Dan
Attached Thumbnails Front Floor Support repair suggestions: 67 coupe-torque-box-2.jpg   Front Floor Support repair suggestions: 67 coupe-front-floor-support-2.jpg  
Old 01-27-2014, 12:27 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

Major task to replace front subframe. You've got torque boxes, so you should be lifting there. Realizing the previous owner should take ALL the blame for this, you're gonna have to live with it. I was able to improve mine by going through the floor inside the car, cutting a small 1/2 inch square, and working the metal from above, then welding the piece back in when I was done. This involves removing the carpet and padding, etc. Far less work than replacing the subframe.