Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

HELP! New to me '66 Stang - Brake lights/alignment issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 01:52 AM
nc98405

Exclamation HELP! New to me '66 Stang - Brake lights/alignment issues

So I just purchased a 1966 Mustang... I am hoping I made a good purchase, but I guess that is to be determined! I have so many questions, but I think I will start with some of the more pressing ones... I could really use the help as I am a complete novice at this, and hoping to get my hands dirty.

So some details: The car came with a set of '98 Cobra wheels.. I believe they are 18 inches. They are pretty big and it gives the car pretty neat look when it is sitting there parked. Also at mild speeds the ride is not too bad. But the previous owner told me he thinks the wheels are too big, and on the freeway at faster speeds it'll pull in every which way <--- he was right. The steering wheel is always pulling and if it hits any bumps than the steering wheel jerks to each side pretty hard.. I mean it was making me pretty nervous just being on the freeway! It made me nervous but he seemed to have just lived with it that way. My immediate reaction is to think that it is not the wheels.. but instead the alignment is off... one thing that I noticed is that when I am making a gradual turn towards the right the car rides real smooth.. Any thoughts?? advice?? -would any good tire shop be able to check on that?

ALSO... and maybe this is more important because as of right now I won't drive her around too far... but the brake lights are not working. When I turn on the lights, the back ones come alive, but there's no change when I am braking.. the turn signals work just fine.. just no brake lights.. I purchased one of the 'fix-it' guides and am going to continue to do some research.. but maybe there is someone out there smarter than I who can point me in the right direction!!

Thanks guys! excited to be apart of the forum and get working on my '66!!
Old 02-26-2014, 06:31 AM
Boogie's_AutoRama
1st Gear Member

Welcome.

Get it to an alignment shop.
It may have worn bushings, tie rods, ball joints. All of which could cause bad handling problems.
However, it may never ride right with those big wheels.

Brake lights:
Do the turn signals work? same bulb filament as the brake lights.
Check/replace the tail light bulbs.
Check fuses. The tabs that hold the fuses are know to corrode and may need a good cleaning.
Check the plug on the brake light switch (down there on the brake pedal arm).
The running lights are working so it shouldn't be a ground issue. But check that anyway.
Make sure there is a engine block to body ground cable.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:29 PM
nc98405

Thanks for the reply!

I will get it to a shop right away... I hope they can diagnose the steering problem.

As for the lights.. the running lights are working and so do the turn signals! I have been trying to read up on this subject for the last couple days.. and I am leaning towards either a fuse problem/brake light switch issue.. I will go out and check on those. I am the type to read and digest as much info as I can before I start actually poking and prodding along the car. I do not have a volt meter.. and I should probably invest in one.. any suggestions??
Old 02-26-2014, 03:24 PM
jonahdeich
1st Gear Member

Definitely take it in to a shop as stated. I would recommend getting the voltmeter because it will be needed for future problems most likely. I also dealt with the brake lights not working. What helped me was bleeding the brakes for my 64 1/2 that had a pressure switch and checking the brake switch that's attached to your pedal on (65-on). Sometime the wires will go bad and sometimes you don't have enough brake pressure to set off the switch. You should post some pictures of your ride!

Last edited by jonahdeich; 02-27-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:13 PM
nc98405

Thanks guys for the help! I'm off tomorrow to get it checked at a shop for the alignment/steering issue.. And I'm going to investigate that brake light switch.

I need to for sure get some photos of her.. But I'll also make sure I post the findings tomorrow!
Old 02-27-2014, 06:53 AM
Boogie's_AutoRama
1st Gear Member

This is all the test equipment you'll need on an old Mustang:

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-funct...ter-69096.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/circuit-tester-30779.html

Originally Posted by jonahdeich
........the brake switch which is either attached to your pedal or on your master cylinder. Sometime the wires will go bad and sometimes you dont have enough brake pressure to set off the switch. You should post some pictures of your ride!
I've never seen a fluid pressure switch used as a brake light switch. It's always a mechanical switch on the pedal.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:54 PM
jonahdeich
1st Gear Member

I've never seen a fluid pressure switch used as a brake light switch. It's always a mechanical switch on the pedal.
Actually "Boogie" your wrong, on the 64 1/2 if there is not enough pressure in the master cylinder it will not set off the switch!
Here is a picture of a 64 mustang pressure brake switch.

Last edited by jonahdeich; 02-27-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:58 PM
nc98405

Hey guys... so I switched out the Brake Light Switch on the pedal there... and the brake lights lit up like nothing was ever wrong. So that's a plus!!

Onto the steering issues... I took it by an alignment shop to have them diagnose the situation, and they told me that I'll need a new "front end"... as in new tie rods, bushings, idler arm... He suggested that not everything is completely bad, but looking like it's moving in that direction. That there was a little give/play in each piece but that the Bushings for sure are bad/cracked. He is working up a quote, but just looking around the web for parts I am not too worried?? Any thoughts?
Old 02-27-2014, 06:01 PM
Boogie's_AutoRama
1st Gear Member

Thanks for enlightening me.
I'm not wrong however, I said I had never seen it before.

I have a '64 that is yet to be restored, I'm gonna go check it out.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:05 PM
jonahdeich
1st Gear Member

Oh my bad I thought you said pressure switched didn't exist my bad bro. I have a 64 and a 65.

Quick Reply: HELP! New to me '66 Stang - Brake lights/alignment issues