Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-04-2014, 11:59 PM   #1
Will G
Will G's Avatar
Join Date: May 2014
Vehicle: 1965 Ford Mustang Convertible
Location: Washington State
Posts: 2
Default How to convert column shift C4 to floor shift for 65 Stang

Hi Guys,
Getting closer on my 289 V8 Swap into my 65 Convertible.

My donor parts included a C4 transmission of unknown origin. The pump is dated 1980. The side of the case by the shift lever is 1970. The there are other parts dated 1965. It's kind of a frankentranny it would seem.

The first issue I found was when trying to mount her up to my 289. The bolt circle on the TC was too wide for my 157 tooth flexplate. I needed 10.5 and the existing TC was more like 11.5. Problem solved by purchasing a new TC

Now that it is mounted in the car I see that the shift linkage lever is set up for a column shift car. Pointing down rather than up. My console shift linkage needs the c4 lever to be pointed up. SEE PIC

The date code above the linkage levers starts out D0 which tells me 1970. I have read that you can change this shift arm assembly to a correct one for console shift by dropping the pan and valve body. Has anyone done this? Where did you choose to buy the part? I have aslo read that this part is different for my 1970 than the 69/68 and older C4s.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140502_002200.jpg (50.9 KB, 4 views)
Will G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:42 PM   #2
Will G
Will G's Avatar
Join Date: May 2014
Vehicle: 1965 Ford Mustang Convertible
Location: Washington State
Posts: 2

I have read that some people have re-used the existing linkage by dropping the pan, removing the valve body and then unbolting, then re-indexing the shift lever 180 degrees to point up.

On that note, I have also read that this causes binding in park as the angle of the lever itself, "THE S BEND" is not correct.

Anyone have any input. I'm kind of stuck at this point.

Will G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:56 PM   #3
1st Gear Member
Join Date: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1966
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 54

Yes, I've read that the linkage that points down for floor shifters are too long.

This is the correct part:

The valve body has to be dropped to replace it.
mushaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:56 PM
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
New Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39 AM.

© Internet Brands, Inc.

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Emails Backup