Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Mystery piece

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 06:28 PM
iraqandroll

Default Mystery piece

Hi folks, looking for a little help if you could. I recently purchased a 66 coupe and was replacing the instrument bezel. All went well and it came out great. However, after I hooked up the speedometer cable, I found a round plastic piece on the floor with two springs in it. One is verticle in the center and one wraps around the outside. It is about the size of a half dollar. I know pics would make the all the difference but don't have one right now. It came from the area of the ignition i believe. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:09 PM
iraqandroll

Old 05-06-2014, 08:38 PM
iraqandroll

sorry

Old 05-07-2014, 06:58 AM
Al Newman
2nd Gear Member

Well, I guess your piece will forever remain a mystery, since my wore out old system cannot open the pic.
Best,
Al
Old 05-07-2014, 10:43 AM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

doesn't open for me either...
Old 05-08-2014, 08:58 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

I saw a brief picture of an old nickle and a real fuzzy picture of something that looked like maybe a piece of the headlight switch rheostat but now neither one open up for me.

Gonna need a crappier picture and another link that doesn't work to really tell though.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:34 AM
wsovonick
1st Gear Member

This is the only thing that isn't a coin in that photo bucket page. Any opinions?

BTW, I got to it quickly by right clicking on the link and clicking on the option, open link in new tab.
Attached Thumbnails Mystery piece-getattachment1_zps43798c76.jpg  

Last edited by wsovonick; 05-09-2014 at 06:36 AM. Reason: sp
Old 05-09-2014, 09:42 AM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

Sure looks like the interior light dimmer that is part of the head light switch. Did you pull out the switch **** with the shaft by any chance? One spring is the resistance element which is wiped by a graphite brush. This variable resistor has to carry a lot of current for all the lights so it is a high amperage unit. You probably have no dashboard or radio lighting. Looks like yo probably need a new light switch.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:48 AM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wsovonick
This is the only thing that isn't a coin in that photo bucket page. Any opinions?

BTW, I got to it quickly by right clicking on the link and clicking on the option, open link in new tab.
(smartie pants)!
Old 05-11-2014, 06:36 AM
iraqandroll

I am real sorry about the pics. I tried to bring it over from photobucket and messed it up. Everything seems to be working including the headlight dimmers. I looked online at original parts for everything I could think of, I guess it will remain a mystery. Thanks again for the help and sorry again for the pic.

Quick Reply: Mystery piece