Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

How to adjust clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 08:33 AM
Frznrth

Default How to adjust clutch

Hi. I need some help with adjusting my clutch. I have a 65 with a T5 tranny. Should there be any play where the pin pushes against the clutch fork? My top adjustment is maxed out so I only have the bottom to play with. Is this a bad thing? I did what I can and it is shifting ok but I still have what seems like too much slack , 2 inches or so, at the peddle.
Thanks much for your time.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:50 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

IIRC, the T5 throwout bearing is designed to have a little bit of preload on it, to account for the auto-adjusting cable setups they were designed for. Go ahead and adjust it until it just touches the fork.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:18 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

hello;

if you installed a diaphragm pressure plate you are kinda screwed. it does not belong in an early mustang. you can try to set it up with around 1 1/2" of freeplay but i would not use less. there is a spring the goes from your fork to the front frame rail and one that goes from the fork to the bottom of the z bar.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:02 PM
Frznrth

Thanks. I was wondering if there should be a spring. There should be two? Could you explain a bit more where they should go and if you have an idea of how much tension there should be in them.
Thanks
Old 06-07-2014, 06:50 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

the long one goes from the hole in the fork to the hole in two holes in the mount for the lower a arm.

the short one gores where i described. you can live without this one if you have the other.

the short one in the link below is the retracting spring

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...chassembly.jpg

here it is

http://www.ebay.com/itm/66-67-68-For...ht_1499wt_1009

Last edited by barnett468; 06-07-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:06 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Barnett, there is (almost) no problem installing a diaphragm style clutch in an older Mustang. I've put a good 30k mi on the one behind my 331. In fact, it's becoming harder and harder to get a long-style clutch for these cars. As long as you remove the over-center assist spring under the dash, you're good to go.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:04 AM
Frznrth

Thanks. I'm a bit confused as to what I should have for springs. I don't have one at the peddle - this is good? Why wouldn't I want something to pull it back up? Right now I'm always lifting it up a bit with my foot - not that it makes any noise or anything if I don't - just seems that it should be all the way up - shouldn't it?
Thanks much
Old 06-09-2014, 12:50 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
Barnett, there is (almost) no problem installing a diaphragm style clutch in an older Mustang. I've put a good 30k mi on the one behind my 331. In fact, it's becoming harder and harder to get a long-style clutch for these cars. As long as you remove the over-center assist spring under the dash, you're good to go.
i have installed dozens at customers request and had them all sign a waiver when i did. they certainly fit but do not operate properly because they are not designed for these cars. this is why you removed your over center spring.

Originally Posted by Starfury
In fact, it's becoming harder and harder to get a long-style clutch for these cars. As long as you remove the over-center assist spring under the dash, you're good to go.
mcleod makes them, always has, always will. i helped them determine spring rates for their "almost" stock" pressure clutch covers you can get an almost stock one..

Last edited by barnett468; 06-09-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:55 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Frznrth
Thanks. I'm a bit confused as to what I should have for springs. I don't have one at the peddle - this is good?
yes because if you did, the wrong clutch you installed will cause the pedal to try and ram your knee into the steering wheel when it comes up past center.

Originally Posted by Frznrth
Why wouldn't I want something to pull it back up?
the long spring from the fork to the frame will help with that.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:20 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

sorry to hijack this discussion ...
this is somethign I was never aware off. I have a disphragm clutch, and a spring (i think it's under the dash) causes the pedal to come out as far as possible.
with the rubber part being fried in my car that is supposed to stop the clutch pedal at some stage it comes very far out.

So what you are all sayijng I could fix my problem and even do what I'm supposed to do by just removing that spring? (i'll change the positive stop anyway) ?

Quick Reply: How to adjust clutch