Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Biology, Eleanor, the Mona Lisa and the philosophy of the restomod.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 02:47 AM
ttoney
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Biology, Eleanor, the Mona Lisa and the philosophy of the restomod.

Grrr. I hate accidental double post. Sorry.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:37 AM
Frankus

Well I said in an other topic that I plan to someday implement the technology of making my car run on the combustion of hydrogen. Itd still make a rumbling sound and its only exhaust would be water, plus it might be cheaper than gas if I can figure out a cost effective way to seperate hydrogen from water. Of course If I did Id be rich for coming up with an alternate fuel source *Wishful thinking*.

If everyone restored thier stangs back to origional then itd be the same stang of color and year as any other. The reasons I like the mustang is that not many people drive them and theyre easy to modify. Bottom line, I can throw my personal touches at it like no tommorow. Literally.

P.S. I dont like the Eleanor either. Tastes like rice to me.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:55 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yeah, we basically have 3 schools of thought regarding our classics. There are the concours guys who never drive them, then there are guys like me who keep theirs original as possible with a few modern upgrades, then there are the restomods.....some nicely done, and some riced out. They are all still Mustangs though, as Nualln pointed out. It's your car, do with it as you wish. I just prefer originality, especilly with body parts.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:06 AM
gta289
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lClutchl

Nualln - You should post that to a few of the Mustang magazines as an editorial. You managed to express the "restomod" point of view very well.

GTA289 - Sounds to me like you actually drive the car - which in my opinion pulls you out of the "concorus nut" catagory. The nuts they have up here push the car off the trailer and onto a piece of carpet at an outdoor show. The engines of these cars probably siezed up years ago because the owners are afraid to heat up and discolor the exhaust system. -That in my opinion is a complete waste of a car. Like I said, you drive yours, so I hate to say it - YOU ARE ONE OF US!

And by the way I have a lot of respect for a guy that detailed the underbody of a car and actually drives it a few hundred miles to a show. I have a hard enough time keeping up with the exterior/engine bay/interior/trunk after each show. To crawl under and scrub a underbody every time you go out proves how commited you are to the car. -Bravo bud!

i was not trying to batter your comments on the concourse life, i was mearly trying to let everyone know out there, i dont ever intend to keep my car on a trailer, and there are so many concourse classes now that trailer queens are there own class. i do admit that i dont really like the fact that everytime i go to a show, i have to bring the car home and dust off the engine and crawl under the underside just because on the way home from that show, there was some water in the street... trust me its nerve wrecking and a pain in the *** at times but i wouldnt do it any different. thats not to say that when i take a trip onto ebay that i dont cringe when i see the words, all original, check the car out and to find out its a hack job. but as far as peoples work at shows, i appreciate the hobby and do understand, people do build there cars to how they like.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:32 AM
jrrhd73must
3rd Gear Member

Nualln,
I agree to a point. Personally there comes a point where you get to much "ricer" crap added on to the car that cheapens it and the sport.

As for the resto guys that drive it Bravo! Nothing irritates me more than to go to a car show to have the overall winner be a traired to the show, and even winched into the trailer. That is not a car that is garage trophy, cars by definition are made to be driven.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:54 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: jrrhd73must

Nualln,
I agree to a point. Personally there comes a point where you get to much "ricer" crap added on to the car that cheapens it and the sport.

As for the resto guys that drive it Bravo! Nothing irritates me more than to go to a car show to have the overall winner be a traired to the show, and even winched into the trailer. That is not a car that is garage trophy, cars by definition are made to be driven.
Yep, and especially Mustangs. Now, if it was a 1929 Mercedes SSK, I could see not driving it. But these old mustangs are meant to be driven, and there are plenty of parts places out there to keep them running. Good point.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:43 AM
dcohen
4th Gear Member

I perfectly agree with what you said nualln. I'm 15 years old and just bought my first mustang. Its a 66 coupe with a 289 and a 3 speed manual transmission. I want to be able to drive my car and enjoy it. I want to be able to pull up beside some punk in his little buzzy four cylinder and blow his doors off. Another thing about concours resotrations is that they are expensive. Not that a restomod isnt but good grief. Im tryin to get some pictures loaded but yall would probably laugh at it if ya saw it. Its in rough shape but when i get done its gonna be the baddest mustang at West Rowan High School
Old 10-23-2005, 02:21 AM
BillyBobJoe
4th Gear Member

lol, i know sort of how dcohen feels. I'm 16 and been working on my 69er for 6 months now. i want my stang to make other cars bow to me. well, maybe. but i have another 69 Mach 1 at my school, i jsut want to be able to whoop him in horsepower,lol, that'll make me feel good enough. i plan to keep my 69er as original looking as possible, original paint type, most of the body, but the engine is another story. Going for the hipo look with chrome, possible MSD ignition, the tranny will become a T-5 probably, and probably a flowmaster exhaust system...but to outsiders it's an un-noticeable difference and to us mustangers it's not that big a deal to have a "semi"-modded pony.

but i will never rice my stang. i will have soaring come to my house and pee on my car before i rice it.