Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Early toploade/hydraulic clutch/hydroboost questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 09:29 PM
HAVEaSigAR

Default Early toploade/hydraulic clutch/hydroboost questions

68 Fastback, 351w, automatic (but clutch pedal still in the car), long tubes, power steering, manual Disc brakes.

Body work is almost complete, paint very soon, so it's time to start gathering parts for the next step. I have an early (5 bolt) toploader (wide ratio 4 speed with 28 spline output shaft). I'm going to use a cast iron bellhousing drilled and tapped to accept the early toploader, and want to fabricate a mount for an external slave rather than go with a hydraulic throw out bearing. I'd also like to go with a hydro boost power brake system.*

Anyone have experience with a similar setup? Any problems I may run into? What modifications need to be made to the pedals? Suggestions on which parts to use for hydraulic clutch and hydroboost? I'm pretty sure I will have to run a 164 tooth flywheel with the bellhousing I need to adapt for the early toploader to work. Clutch and pressure plate suggestions? Anything I'm forgetting to account for?
Old 05-31-2015, 01:57 PM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

For the clutch pedal I would recommend a master cylinder kit like modern driveline sells. Should be easy to install and have great feel. Their slave cylinder or one with the same bore diameter should work fine. Let me know what you find in the way of hydroboost brake systems, I hate the way the factory boosters look and the space they take up and would like to see some examples of a kit like this. I am running manual discs up front and drums out back.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:51 PM
HAVEaSigAR

I've looked in to the Modern kit, and it seems like the easiest way to go. But $$$. I was hoping to see some examples of DIY versions, and save a few bucks because the hydroboost kits are like $900. There are some great looking bolt in kits from Hydratech and a few others, but $1000 would go a long way in other aspects of the build.