Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Need help identifying a part on my i6

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 11:33 AM
Voxel

Question Need help identifying a part on my i6

I'm trying to find where I would plug in the hot air intake that comes out of the thermostat port on my automatic choke. It previously just had some sort of rubber nipple over it. I'm guessing it is this tube that has been cut and screwed, but I wanted to make sure.

Part ID

Context
Old 07-15-2015, 12:05 PM
MtnMustang
1st Gear Member

The tube that is cut and crimped off looks like a vac port for a distributor, automatic kickdown or even vac wipers etc.

The hot air port comes from the exhaust manifold, sometimes its a hole in the manifold the same diameter as the tube, sometimes its a tin type bracket attached to the exhaust manifold. In your first pic there appears to be a hole that is plugged on the exhaust manifold just to left of the blue block with the vac lines attached.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:25 PM
Voxel

Originally Posted by MtnMustang
The tube that is cut and crimped off looks like a vac port for a distributor, automatic kickdown or even vac wipers etc.

The hot air port comes from the exhaust manifold, sometimes its a hole in the manifold the same diameter as the tube, sometimes its a tin type bracket attached to the exhaust manifold. In your first pic there appears to be a hole that is plugged on the exhaust manifold just to left of the blue block with the vac lines attached.
So, turns out you are correct, but for some reason it is fused shut and I can't remove it. Looks like I'll have to take off the intake and exhaust manifolds to see whats going on.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:02 AM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

Th squished line that points to the front is a vent hose for the valve cover and needs a regulator valve in the cover. The forward of the two hoses that come out the side is for the air conditioner vacuum. The rear from the side is for windshield wiper vacuum. This was called Ford IMCO Improved performance modification for 170 and 200 motors only. The block was removed and a plug installed if no vacuum takeoffs were required. Doesn't look like you have AC and if you have electric windshield wipers, you can remove and plug. Was this a replacement engine?
Are you sure that the point where you have the crankcase vent tube is connected to a vacuum supply (intake manifold)? Some 6 cyls had a coolant heated spacer block. The coolant ran through this block by means of an inlet and outlet hose.. So if that port is not connected to the intake manifold you have it wrong and there should be another hose connection on the other side of that spacer.
There also should be a hose that goes from the air cleaner to the oil filler cap..
Old 07-17-2015, 11:28 AM
MtnMustang
1st Gear Member

Well you wont need to remove the intake manifold to remove the exhaust manifold as it is integral to the head and the intake is not removable. The exhaust manifold is pretty simple to remove though. You may look for a replacement exhaust manifold and they are pretty cheap to buy new ones with the hole drilled out for the choke heater tube.

I agree in the fact that you should carefully review the vac tube layout, something does not look right.