Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

which headliner

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 04:23 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Default which headliner

So I installed Fat Mat on my roof prior to installing my new headliner. Suckily, I live in AZ and it got too hot from the sun and melted. The glue dripped onto my most awsome, perfectly installed liner and ruined it. It is so bad now that the hoops are tearing free from the liner.
I am going to buy a new liner and remove mine, and the shat mat. I'm looking at the MTF abs one piece and the uni suede from CJ.
Which is better. I have a black interior so color is no issue. The abs looks more a peaking but will it be louder than the uni suede? Please let me know what you guys have experienced.

Thanks
B
Old 08-14-2015, 08:42 AM
ajzride
1st Gear Member

I have the MTF unit and love it. I've not noticed any extra noise caused by the hard surface on the roof versus my traditional vinyl headliner. Not having the suede wrap, you wouldn't have to worry about separation between the cloth and backing, ever. Also the TMI unit is fiberglass instead of ABS (I'm pretty sure), so it is not as flexible during the install process.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:51 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

I too have an mustangtofear one piece ABS unit. Haven't finished the install to make room of the rollbar, but so far fit is very good. little secret, use a heat gun or hair dryer on the backside to mold the corners and edges better for a tighter fit.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:54 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

by the way, TMI has one also, but I believe its fiber board, not ABS, and it has a crushed valor material in predetermined colors. In my opinion, looks 70-80's. TMI will change the cover, but theres the TMI "up-charge" to do so.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:38 AM
MustangsToFear
1st Gear Member

One thing you don't want to use on your roof is Fat Mat because it won't stick. We ONLY use Hush mat for that application, then we glue a 1/2 inch piece of carpet padding to the Hush Mat.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:02 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

i definitely learned that using any of the rubberized sound insulator doesn't work here. It just gets too hot.
I am definitely going to use the carpet padding before I install the one piece unit.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:07 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

so i purchased the TMI blavck carbon fiber from CJ. it looks nice but i will be sending it bacck. it is a fiberglass unit with a stick stick/glue on fake fiber material. I just opened the box and the material is pulling away from the fiberglass backing.
I read that this was an issue in the past but also that it had been taken care of. its too bad because it looks nice. i think that in the AZ heat though it will be even worse given a few hot summer days. I should have stuck with the MTF abs. this is what i get for trying to save a few bucks.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:32 AM
MustangsToFear
1st Gear Member

By cheap and sleep in the street is what my dad use to tell me. TMI has had nothing but problems since they came out with there headliner. We've only had 2 warranty claims in 5 years. Extreme heat will always be a problem with that design, that's why we don't do it.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:06 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Now Im getting the brush off from CJ. what a mess.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:19 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Man what a waste. Now CJ pony parts won't take back this defective part.
I just don't get it. I bought the oart, waited for it. It shows up and is no good. Now they won't return it.
Why would a company that spends so much time and money on advertising, screw me over for a part less than 300.00.
I thought they were a good company. Maybe they are having tough times or somethjng. It's unfortunate

Quick Reply: which headliner