Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Is there a resto mod class in judging?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 09:17 PM
skiprCH
2nd Gear Member

Default Is there a resto mod class in judging?

Hi all!
It seems to me I've heard that there is a resto mod class at some of the Mustang rallies? If you put a resto mod GT in would they look at the door tags to see if it is a real GT A code? Just curious so when I get mine to GT status what class I'll be in. I sent my request in to Santa fer a Rally Pac.
Pricey little buggers these days! 400 plus on ebay and it might not work!!!
Walt

[IMG]local://upfiles/18678/2DC304BCD0B645F5BB6F5E6C64AEB37B.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-23-2005, 10:14 AM
gta289
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Is there a resto mod class in judging?

Are you converting it to a GT or is it on with add ons?
Old 10-23-2005, 10:59 AM
skiprCH
2nd Gear Member

Hi gta, I am convertin her to a GT, A code. I got the 4 barrel put on this summer. Did it with all orginal parts. Found the Manifold and carb ones on ebay. I got the assy. manuals and followed them. You may not have saw my eariler post. I was looking at a a GT on ebay. It went for 30 plus K. I thought about selling mine and buying that one. With 2 kids in college made my decision for me. So I decided to start working on mine and change it to a GT. With it having a pony interior made the interior part easy. I added a console. That was my first project. I will add a rally pac this Christmas.
Walt

[IMG]local://upfiles/18678/D9F1E680CD1C401E94C4F576D00DE46A.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-23-2005, 11:27 AM
gta289
3rd Gear Member

walt,
its not hard to convert a Standard over to a GT, if you do it right, no one will know. Yes its true 65-66 have to have either an A code or a K code to be a GT. If yours is not a real a code, you will still be able to get away with it. First off not every 65-66 mustang came with the vin stamped on the fender apron (driver side) most were covered up from the factory, if your shows, put filler in the vin and itll be out of your hair. The door tag is and isnt a problem. If you plan on having a concourse judge, judge it, than yes he will catch it right off the bat, and you will loose points.if not , its not like someone will pop open your door to check. The fog lights for 1966 had to have a seperate wiring harness tied in with the orignial, unlike 67-68 that every car had one. I would unwrap all the harness in the engine compartment and wrap the new fog light wire in with the old one, because its easy to tell if you or the factory did it. Next the trumpets for the back exhaust have a different valance as you probably know, you can get good repos, but they dont fit good at all, and people will take notice. (it does not suck up to the body all the way). Gas cap say GT ,Style steel wheels actually were an option, were no standard believe it or not, just most the GT had them. the sway bar is larger, and steering box are different (keep that in mind) Im not teaching you this so you can make a knockoff and sell it as a real one, just if you want to fool people at shows, go for it, thats a good achievement, but keep in mind there are purists that can spot a fake, if you fool them the skys the limit for you (who knows, might even fool a judge)
Old 10-23-2005, 12:14 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Hmmmm. I don't personally think it is a good idea to intentionally try to fool an NCA judge. Just enter it as a GT restomod. Afterall, it would be dishonest to try to pass it off as a real GT.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:24 PM
gta289
3rd Gear Member

i wasnt telling to try and pull it off, and if he wasnt in a competition, undoubtably they would catch him, like i said, theres no problem with making the car of your dreams, just dont sell that car to another guy who thinks it is what its really not. Sory for the confusion, trust me nothing drives me more crazy when you go on ebay to see, 66 GT fastback numbers matching, and the first thing you read in the vin is a C, and looking at the discription, shows it has four wheel drum. Thats the point im trying to make, dont pass it off as one, if you build it, build it so if guys like the ones in this forum walked up, would have a tough time finding it to be a standard car.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:38 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

AH...Yeah, it would be easy to fool idiots like me. Before I bought an advertised GT, I would get a Marti report. If the seller refuses to give me the original VIN, then I would walk away. We had a poster on another site who built a C code from ground up. She used an abrasion wheel to get rid of the fender VIN and filled it in with lead, and smoothed it and repainted it. The rear valance didn't fit well as you pointed out, and the badge and fuel filler cap were obviously aftermarket. She got chastised for advertising it as a GT. I don't really know if this sort of thing is illegal or not, but if it isn't, it should be. To me it is fraud.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:58 PM
gta289
3rd Gear Member

what she did is illegal, because it raises the value of the car, and thats why i cant stress enough do not sell it as a fake, u will get in trouble for it, legally if someone buys the car as a GT and finds out its not ,its criminal fraud. so yes soaring it is fraud to answer the question.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:27 PM
skiprCH
2nd Gear Member

Hi all,
From what I can see from this web site. http://www.karmustang.com/ it does not matter if it is a factory GT. Look under Mustang inventory. The red one with blk stripes. Number 65159 What they did was change it to a GT and they say it was a dealer upgrade. They are the dealer and they upgraded it. They also changed it to a pony interior. If you read on it also says it took gold awards in the MCA concours driven class. No way is this is an orginal GT A code pony!!! To me the judges can not look at the numbers in this class because the change to a pony interior would show up, not the GT change. NO code for a GT on the door tags. Were they trying to fool the judges?? So I guess they are twisting the truth. They both went for 30k plus. I do not intend to sell and if I do I will let people know it was a resto mod. My orginal question should have been what class I would be in. According to what I see at karmustang site I could enter as a concourse driven class [sm=smiley25.gif] I guess I better get a rule book gta, check out the '67 vert GTA there.
Walt
Old 10-23-2005, 01:35 PM
gta289
3rd Gear Member

very true walt, most dealers did offer gt packages, i have never in my life seen a car from a dealer, because i will assume that the dealer does things differently. but yes theydid offer add ons to cars, hell if you wanted you coukld get a Ford trash can installed in the car, good observation

Quick Reply: Is there a resto mod class in judging?