Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

no more T5 for me

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 05:38 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Default no more T5 for me

I just spent a few hours on the side of the road with a blow to pieces t5. It's my second one in a year. And yes, it was a cobra spec unit that was also built to be stronger.
I have decided to go with an automatic. I am looking for info here to lead me to the right desision.
I do know I want an overdrive because I do a ton of highway driving. But I also want the quickness off the line. Right now with me new engine, I dynoed out at 399hp and 420ft.lbs. of torque. My car is a 3 day a week driver for running errands.
I know I will also need a new radiator, torque convertor, and a shifter, please recommend that too. I have a flywheel already.
The price is not that much of an issue. I'm in so deep at this point it needs to be right.

Bring on the info....
Thanks guys
Old 10-24-2015, 06:14 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Ouch

I did a bunch of research a while back on T5's with the plan of eventually putting on behind my 331. I discovered a lot of people complaining about broken mainshafts and tailshafts, and had almost settled on getting a beefed up unit from AstroPerformance or the like. Then I scrounged up a close-ratio Toploader off cragislist around the same time I stopped driving the car on the freeway all the time, and I haven't looked back.

As for an automatic, I've heard that AOD's can take a fair amount of abuse and are almost plug-and-play. Lots of fox body guys keep them behind their strokers.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:16 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Astro A5, not the Gforce T5, might be the answer.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:44 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Cobra units were built a little stronger than other stock T-5s, but nowhere near enough for the power you're making there. I've seen aftermarket built T-5s that claim to be up to the task of 500 ft-lbs, but if you're already resolved to abandon the third pedal altogether, AODs will do the trick if they're built right.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:41 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
Ouch

I did a bunch of research a while back on T5's with the plan of eventually putting on behind my 331. I discovered a lot of people complaining about broken mainshafts and tailshafts, and had almost settled on getting a beefed up unit from AstroPerformance or the like. Then I scrounged up a close-ratio Toploader off cragislist around the same time I stopped driving the car on the freeway all the time, and I haven't looked back.

As for an automatic, I've heard that AOD's can take a fair amount of abuse and are almost plug-and-play. Lots of fox body guys keep them behind their strokers.
there are two different a5 trannies, i would get the one with the heavy duty case but if one does that, they might as well get a tko 600 with the shift upgrades.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:54 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

you can buy them pre-built or save money and have one built.

there are cable operated overdrives and electronic operated ones . . the cable ones are fine but not as sophisticated.

http://www.performanceautomatic.com/...transmissions/

your carb is a little small and not a great one . . i would consider this one.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qf...5-vs/overview/

unless you have flat top pistons and the block is 0 decked and the heads are 58 cc, your compression is a little less than it could be for 91 octane.

i would look at a 2400 rpm converter . . it you want to roast the tires a lot than around 2800 - 3000 rpm.

the headers should be 1 3/4" tubes with straight thru mufflers.

Last edited by barnett468; 10-25-2015 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:44 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by barnett468
there are two different a5 trannies, i would get the one with the heavy duty case but if one does that, they might as well get a tko 600 with the shift upgrades.
I had also looked at TKO's, but decided against one for use behind a high-winding small block. Apparently they're not at all designed for high-rpm shifting; a lot of people have complained about their TKO locking up when making the 2-3 shift at 6k+ rpm (usually on the track, but I tend to do that occasionally on the road...), which requires the removal of one of the top access plates to un-jam the tranny, which requires dropping the tranny.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:43 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
I had also looked at TKO's, but decided against one for use behind a high-winding small block. Apparently they're not at all designed for high-rpm shifting; a lot of people have complained about their TKO locking up when making the 2-3 shift at 6k+ rpm (usually on the track, but I tend to do that occasionally on the road...), which requires the removal of one of the top access plates to un-jam the tranny, which requires dropping the tranny.

Originally Posted by barnett468
a tko 600 with the shift upgrades.
they will gift all day long near 7k with the shift upgrades.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:11 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

WTF do the above threads have to do with automatic transmission selections?

And last I knew, BMW was not made by Ford. I'm sure that you can find a forum for your 347 questions. This is the Classic mustang section. Even the injector question does not apply here.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:43 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MonsterBilly
WTF do the above threads have to do with automatic transmission selections?
ummm, post 6 is about nothing but auto trannies.

Quick Reply: no more T5 for me