Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Re-did heater core. Now only works out lower vents

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 08:45 PM
kylehamilton79

Default Re-did heater core. Now only works out lower vents

I redid my heater core for my '67 with factory air for the 2nd time after blowing the first one. I still had everything labeled from before and installed tonight. When I checked it it only blows out of the floor vents when I toggle the different settings. What did I install wrong? All the settings worked before I took it apart a few days ago.

Even if I manually move the vacuum levers it still only blows from the bottom. I'm guessing the door isn't moving back and forth or wedged. This has been a nightmare so far and I'd like to have heat. Should I pull the box again and check?

I read online that some vehicles only have enough vacuum to adjust the HVAC a couple of times before they are out of vacuum with the car not started. Should I try again with with it running? Anything to not have to pull that SOB out again.

My box is a little torqued and the clips were terrible to get back on so I'm thinking something is binding inside. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by kylehamilton79; 12-14-2016 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:17 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

That under the dash work ,can be brutal. Based on your description I think I'd start with making sure the flap isn't in a bind like you suspect.

If you turn your AC on, does it blow out of the vents then?
Old 12-20-2016, 09:29 AM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

what are you meaning by adjusting an hvac?

if the door is not in a bind and it worked previously, you have a disconnected hose or a split end on a hose or the cable on the valve on the valve on the box is incorrectly adjusted.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:50 AM
kylehamilton79

I got it figured out a few nights ago. My only problem was I checked everything without starting the engine, so I didn't have any vacuum to activate any of the doors.

As soon as I started the car everything worked so I proceeded with running my new heater hoses and replacing the water pump.

An unrelated questions I have is, how often do you replace parts like alternators? Mine is from 2001, just an AutoZone special and it works fine currently. I've gotten 5 years out of the battery so far, which is way longer than my daily driver battery.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:09 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

I've seen 25 year old alternators & generators work like the day they were made and then some that I haven't gotten a year out of so, it all depends.