Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Eliminating my Air Shocks - Lets do suspension right

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 02:40 PM
Cgottschalk66

Default Eliminating my Air Shocks - Lets do suspension right

While technically I'm going to be asking a lot of questions I may find in the wheels and ride height section, I have more questions about what I should do that are specific to my car and what I want from my shocks..

So my car is a 6 cylinder car that came with air shocks installed on the back. My car looked like it went through a half-done 80s or 90s restoration when I got it. Completely different car now, and I'm planning to put a built 351w in it soon.

Not long after having the car I switched to Gabriel shocks on the front which were soon replaced with KYB Gas-A-Just shocks which I thought was such a significant improvement because of the reduced body roll, less bouncy on hills, and stiffness. Rebuilt the front end (minus coil springs for now) with all V8 steering components, did the Granada swap, 5 lug 8 inch rear conversion with new 4 leaf springs.. but now my air shocks are still there. I want to take everyone's advice and replace these with better shocks, as I have a lot of bounce in the back no matter what psi, and I'm sure another shock would ride better. --- I have a couple of concerns.

My 8 inch rear end was a happy accident because my tires actually stick out further than my old rear end. Maybe not a 66 rear end? That's fine. I love the look, however I fear that once I eliminate my air shocks my quarter panel will touch my tire when I go over a bounce on the highway or on the back roads. I will post a picture from my phone to show where my tire sticks out.

When measuring my ride height with my shocks at 25-30 psi (where I have always kept them) I get about 28.3 inches from the ground to the highest point of the wheel gap in my quarter pane/rear fender. When I let it down to 0 psi I get about 27 inches. Will this be my ride height once I eliminate my air shocks and replace with another shock? I know springs affect ride height, but air shocks do, too. When I bounce on the back end of my car I still do not have contact even with 0 psi, but will regular shocks drop my height even more? I have new leaf springs and shackles, less than 2 years old.

My other concern is which shock to go with. I like the Gas-A-Just KYBs up front for handling purposes on the street. They ride ok, a little stiff, but I like it. However am I going to want to put a drag shock on the rear once I get this 351w in this thing? This is going to be a street/strip car not just strip so I care about handling, but I don't want to be spinning tires all the time either because I went with the wrong shock. I was looking at the Lakewood 50/50 drag shock as well, but will these handle as well as the KYBs around corners and such? and if I go with the Lakewoods is it acceptable to keep the KYBs in the front and have Lakewoods in the back or should I go with a 70/30 or 90/10 Lakewood in the front. Looking for opinions here for sure.

I also plan on doing the one inch shelby drop in the front, add a 3/4 in sway bar in the rear, upgradge front sway bar to a 1 1/8 inch, and add a monte carlo bar with brace. So last question.. Which coil springs should I go with in the front when I do the shelby drop? Not expecting a modern handling autocross car but I like that my Mustang already handles well for an old car and I want to embrace the fact that it's a small fun car and not a muscle-car-boat.. but comprimise with not spinning the back tires with my 330-350 hp 351w.

A lot of questions.. just wanting opinions here.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:42 PM
Cgottschalk66

Old 02-01-2017, 11:56 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

I would let all the air out of the air shocks and see how far the rear end drops lower.

If the rear end dips a lot your gonna have to look at other options.

Regular shocks don't do much for raising up the car.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:41 PM
Gun Jam

Ive been really happy with Global west stuff.

I run the neg wedge upper control arms, tubular lower control arms, and their strut rods.
I run the maier bilstein custom valved shocks for 650lb springs.

Lower rear leaf springs and a set of pilot super sports on 17" wheels.
1.25" front sway bar and 3/4 rear (I think)

It goes where you point it.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:25 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

I went with the KYB's all the way around and loved the way it handled the bumps and corners.

It looks like you have plenty of clearance between your tire and fender now so if you go with say, a stock ride height spring and your tire isn't too oversized then you should be just fine. I kept the stock ride height spring in the rear and did the Shelby drop up front and it gave it a nice little rake. Probably not optimum for corner carving like Jams but for daily driving it did just fine.