Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

New to all of this...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 03:27 AM
Blacktop

Default New to all of this...

Hello...

This is my first post about my first Mustang. I picked up a '66 289 hardtop from a friend who is leaving on a trip around the world, and I'm going to try my hand at fixing it up a bit.

The engine was replaced recently and the transmission was rebuilt (possibly replaced... I'm not sure) not long before that, so I'm confident that at least those parts are in good shape.

I've found a few problems with the car already like: A worn out turn signal switch, a broken AC system (I don't know how much work -- if any -- I'll do on this one), and hole in the rear passenger side floor (which let water in just enough to ruin the new carpet). I'm also pretty sure I'll be redoing the electrical system from the ground up because a lot of it looks like it was messed with, and some of the wires are in pretty bad shape.

I guess what I'm asking is are there any common problems with these cars that I should check into right away? Anything that y'all see a lot of?

Thanks so much. I'm looking forward to this project.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:20 PM
1966 Mustang15
1st Gear Member

the trunk and your frame rails in the rear and front may be screwed
Old 01-27-2004, 10:13 PM
bob emmerich
2nd Gear Member

Problems.....HMMMMM.....</P>

O.K.: rear frame rot along the back under the trunk pans,floor rust,front frame rail rust,door rot/rust along the bottoms,shock tower rust along the bottom where it meets the frame,leaking cowls,rear quarter panel rust,leaking windshield/back glass.</P>

Previous owner doings: hacked/spliced wiring,hacked dash panel(to put in aftermarket radios),poor rust repairs,not doing rust repairs,aftermarket bolt-on parts improperly installed.</P>

Now, don't get discouraged from this, I'm trying to be honest about answering your question.If the car is in good shape except for what you already stated, then I'd say you have minimal work ahead of you. The parts you need are available from many vendors. My best advice I can give is to get 1)A factory shop manual(about 35 bucks) 2)A wiring diagram of the car(about 6 bucks) 3)An owners manual(about 6 bucks) 4)some restoration manuals/books. Good Luck with the car and keep us updated.</P>
Old 02-02-2004, 03:59 AM
rjardy

persoanlly I think the biggest design flaw in the cars are the stupid window regulator mechanisms. Minor stuff though, you will love it once you get involved.</P>

</P>

</P>

Rob</P>
Old 02-02-2004, 08:49 PM
Ci Stang '65

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">
<T>
<TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="on">
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background=" height=250 UNABLE="off">you talking about the track? 2 of my windows have come out of the grove, and one track is ruined. i have to rip apart the passenger door and the drivers side rear side window...</TD></TR>
<TR hb_tag="1" UNABLE="on">
<TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on">
<DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
<BLOCKQUOTE id=2cb5ce1e>
Originally Posted by rjardy

persoanlly I think the biggest design flaw in the cars are the stupid window regulator mechanisms. Minor stuff though, you will love it once you get involved.</P>

</P>

</P>

Rob</P>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 02-02-2004, 10:04 PM
rjardy

im talking about the entire damn thing, the track the regulator, those stupid little plastic clips, it all sucks. But hey thats 1960's engineering i guess.</P>

</P>

Rob</P>
Old 02-03-2004, 01:11 AM
Parabellum

Ya, i have to second the window regulator issue. They weren't designed with the future in mind. I've spent far to much time cussing at my window rugulator, as well as my door locks. It be nicer if there was a little more access, but oh well. I guess thats what makes it fun!</P>
Old 02-03-2004, 11:20 PM
meich75

I also agree with the regulator issue. I don't know who decided to use plastic clips and rollers but I hope they were beaten for it. At least they are cheap and easy to replace.