Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced hydrolic cylinders not working right

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 05:01 PM
dkcable8

Default Replaced hydrolic cylinders not working right

• I have a 2002 Ford Mustang
  • Recently replaced both Convertible Top Hydraulic Lift Cylinder’s as top wasslow closing
  • Bledthe lines by leaving the cylinders low on the floor the back seat—ran back and4th at least 4 times
  • Putback together and roof worked fine
  • Triedto open roof several days later and motor spins roof does not open
  • Tookseat out again and made sure full of hydraulic fluid and no leaks
  • Foundif I manually open roof about half way the motor and cylinders “catch” and takeroof off. Putting roof on is not aproblem although it drops fast near the end.
  • Tookthe plug out of the motor and ran several times thinking I needed to bleedlines again.
  • Madesure fluid was topped off.
  • Stillhave the same problem
  • Anythoughts—could they be bad cylinders? Was told by the place I bought them to try and bleed the linesagain. Should I bleed by taking out theplug on the motor or from the cylinders?
Old 08-16-2016, 05:58 PM
Special20
1st Gear Member

I would lower the top, take the plug out, use a syringe and with the motor level, put the fluid in until it is at the bottom of the fill hole. Now place a rag over the hole and run the top up and down 5-6 times. This will bleed the system. When you do not hear any air in the lines, top the fluid off the same way as stated before and put the plug back in. What type of fluid did you use. I believe it takes automatic transmission fluid. Also, check that the lines were not cross threaded into the cylinders as this will cause leaks.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:05 AM
Karl at aoksales

Your problem is air in the lines. That is why the motor spins, but nothing happens.
Always fill the reservoir when the top is in the up position because the fluid is pumped out of the reservoir.
Fill, cycle at least four times or till everything works properly.
Always replace the plug before cycling.
Yes, ATF is the correct fluid for your car.
Older cars used brake fluid.