Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Clay Bar

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 12:19 AM
johnt2k7
4th Gear Member

Default Clay Bar

beings i double posted i have another question my uncle told me i shoud use a clay bar on my car

he keeps his car spotless and always gets on me for not keeping mine spotless

what is a clay bar and what is it used for the only thing i know is u rub the car down with it but thats all

[align=left] [/align]
Old 04-13-2007, 12:39 AM
Junior OTard
Banned

Default RE: Clay Bar

its takes the shine off your car, but it also gets rid of stains and stuff
your car will look like bright yellow matte but once you wax it itll look like it just rolled off the assemble line
they use it on cars in car shows and it makes em look stunning
Old 04-13-2007, 12:54 AM
Fambaa
2nd Gear Member

I bought my mustang from this lady.....clayed it showed her the car when iwas in a car show....she thought i gave it a new pain job....yes it is that good

Its essentially ...just clay.....it comes as a brick and you can buy the clay bar kit at walmart / anywhere really. Miguiars sells a nice kit.

Just spray on liquid detail wax rub the crap out of your car with the brick... you will see liike brown yellow all the crap come off your car....wipe it off...clean it....wax it....your all set

Time consuming though if you do it right
Old 04-13-2007, 12:57 AM
Sparks232
2nd Gear Member

wow you just stepped into my knowledge zone,
i was a certified detailer for like 2 years before i came into the air force
the clay bar when used right will take off all the road grime/brake dust spots/road tar/atmospheric 'fallout' off of your clear coat.
what you should do is NOT use the spray crap they give you with the clay bar....it smells funny and doesnt really work, so you want to do this process one body panel at a time, and keep in mind that using the clay bar WILL take off all the existing wax off of your car,
get a hose and a bucket with a thick concentration of soap, and of course do this in the shade
you want to get the whole car wet, and start with one panel...doesnt matter which one, but soap it up really good (and make sure your hands are wet before touching the bar or else it will stick to your hands) well with the wash mit and some suds, wash the panel really good, and take the clay bar and rub it across the surface of the paint, making sure not to touch the bar to any dry spot on the car. after you have thuroughly rubbed/scrubbed the paint with the bar, set it aside and re-wash the panel and rinse, then go to the next panel and do it all over again, rinse the entire car, dry er, and wax er up! it will be SO SO smooth and will look amazing,
this process does NOT hurt your clear coat in any way and will not make your paint look "Dull"
i highly reccommend using the clay bar.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:58 AM
johnt2k7
4th Gear Member

so does this remove all the wax on the car and then cleans the clear and then you re wax
Old 04-13-2007, 01:01 AM
Fambaa
2nd Gear Member

It removes almost if not ALL impurities on your paint including existong wax

After wash the car

and then wax the car

It will look brand new
Old 04-13-2007, 01:02 AM
Sparks232
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: johnt2k7

so does this remove all the wax on the car and then cleans the clear and then you re wax
yea it will take most of the wax off. if you have ever put meguires 'paint cleanser' it effectively does the same thing, but i think the clay works a little better, but definatly save time to re-wax after you are done!!
Old 04-13-2007, 01:05 AM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

Yup.

I love the results after clay barring my car. It'll feel like it's got the best coat of wax ever, with nothing on it at all.

You're actually supposed to remove wax when you clean your car and then re-apply it.

There are also different levels of clay bars as well. They aren't really "just clay", they all have an abrasive level.

Ryan
Old 04-13-2007, 01:06 AM
tommy2273boy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: johnt2k7

http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/
this site tells alot about basic stuff...the products are all the same, he recently got sponsored so he uses all that pinnicale stuff...

and search inthe Detailing section, there is alot of knowlegde down there. Juztang, who owns Obsessivedetail.com knows a ton about detailing. Shoot him a PM or search in Detail section, you'l llearn alot.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:07 AM
johnt2k7
4th Gear Member

i have a 2 or 3 chips in my paint and i used the touchup paint to fix um will the clay bar remove the touch up paint or am i ok

Quick Reply: Clay Bar