Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

How often do you cringe? Do you say anything?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 09:34 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

OK, I found the right place. I just (60 miles) boiught a 09 gt/cs that sits in my garage until a nice saturday comes along. It has never, at least sine I've had it (5 days) seen rain, nor will it (hopefully), but here's my two questions.
1. I have never owned a toy, so what is the proper way to wash it?
2. After a week in the garage (very clean, professional garage..ie painted floors, ect) it still gets dust on it...How do i remove it without a wash?
Old 12-17-2008, 09:45 AM
oh6vee6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by highline
OK, I found the right place. I just (60 miles) boiught a 09 gt/cs that sits in my garage until a nice saturday comes along. It has never, at least sine I've had it (5 days) seen rain, nor will it (hopefully), but here's my two questions.
1. I have never owned a toy, so what is the proper way to wash it?
2. After a week in the garage (very clean, professional garage..ie painted floors, ect) it still gets dust on it...How do i remove it without a wash?
As far as the right way to wash. You will get alot of opinions on the "BEST" way, but heres what I do. Choose a high quality car wash soap (I have been using Optimum Car Wash), and I use a MicroFiber Mit. I also use a different mit for wheels and lower trim pieces. To dry I use a few Microfiber Drying Towels. Comes out smooth and shiny.

As for the dust buildup. That is really the perfect scenario for Quick Detailer and a MicroFiber cloth.

I have been using the Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detailer. I have been very happy with it. Much slicker than the original.

Also remember to keep your microfiber towels clean. Use a detergent with no scent or colors. And no Softener. All of the additives flatten the fibers in the towels and make then ineffective. G/L with the C/S.

Last edited by oh6vee6; 12-17-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:21 PM
highline
4th Gear Member

Great, thanks for the info
Old 12-23-2008, 10:51 AM
JFordJr
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by oh6vee6
As far as the right way to wash. You will get alot of opinions on the "BEST" way, but heres what I do. Choose a high quality car wash soap (I have been using Optimum Car Wash), and I use a MicroFiber Mit. I also use a different mit for wheels and lower trim pieces. To dry I use a few Microfiber Drying Towels. Comes out smooth and shiny.

As for the dust buildup. That is really the perfect scenario for Quick Detailer and a MicroFiber cloth.

I have been using the Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detailer. I have been very happy with it. Much slicker than the original.

Also remember to keep your microfiber towels clean. Use a detergent with no scent or colors. And no Softener. All of the additives flatten the fibers in the towels and make then ineffective. G/L with the C/S.
I too appreciate that info. Thanks!
Old 12-28-2008, 01:02 AM
NotStok
3rd Gear Member

I do it all the time. Some of my friends own really nice Mustangs too, including GT500's and Terminators, and some of their paint is abysmal. Of course I tell them what I would do to fix it, asking them how they wash, polish and wax. Some guys just use the cheapest car wash from Wal Mart and that's it. I've converted a couple people to all Optimum and Obsessive Detail products.

It's my opinion that if you're that proud of something like a car you've probably worked forever to afford, you're generally gonna keep it clean. It's fun getting asked how I keep it so shiny, too. Heh.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:51 AM
musicheadt
3rd Gear Member

I cringe when I see people using high pressure power washers under hood.

I try to teach my friends how to wash and dry properly, but I still find them going to drive-through car washing places. Some people don't have the time for proper car care, but if you really care, you make the time.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:49 PM
kda1967
1st Gear Member

Hard to believe the percentage of people that won't take the time to take care of there car properly.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:16 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

I always cringe and depending on the situation, I might just say something..LOL!!
Old 12-30-2008, 03:37 PM
drfister
3rd Gear Member

You want sad story? I work at a "car detailing" facility. Yea, you can start to get the picture already... Found the place on the interent, called the guy up, spoke to him about the job and he pretyy much hired me on the spot over the phone (warning sign #1). So I go for the first day, OMG it was like a automobile hell. Its a Car dealership, Used cas and a Mitsubishi together, they also send ppl to other dealers to have cars "detailed". HAH! Detail? What a joke.

Where do I start. Old nasty *** rags. They were microfiber, but they were also black from dirt. No problem at this place, just spray the car with WINDEX (WTF) and wipe dry. Bugs on the hood? Im told to use super strong chemicals and a knife to scrape it off, wtf? Wax if 05 and under? this "wax" is watered down BS. Dealership stickers? Yea, just take a knife and scrape it off. I get more angry the more I talk about it but your starting to get the idea.

Have I tried telling everyone that works there that this is wrong, hell yea every day. But what do I know, Im just another kid working here. The tire shine is the best chemical there and it still sucks cuzz it sligs everywhere. Each day I go to work its painful, having to abuse these cars. I wont even take my car out if it has dirt or waterspots etc, and here I am mutilating these helpless automobiles.

Sometimes we bring our own cars through, to be washed. Everyone always asks why I never bring mine in, I try to explain but they just dont understand. I have to sneak in to the supply room and steal clean microfiber cloths whenever a vette or other nice car comes in for me to work on. I dono how I am still there, I almost quit on the first day, I probably should of. If there was a sort of "detailing police" I would be more then happy to allow them to come in and shut the place down, its just horrible. The worst part... Buddy freakin certifies these goons that work for him as full automotive detailers. Certificate and all. Theres a scarry thought! If nothing else this job has taught me to ONLY take delivery of a car if I see it being rolled off the transport truck. You really cant trust anyone out there. I could go on and on but I will spare you all and end my rant.

Some people just dont understand...

Last edited by drfister; 12-30-2008 at 03:43 PM.