Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Washing my car!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 04:46 PM
acctingman
1st Gear Member

Default Washing my car!

Greetings and salutations!

So, I have a bit of a problem. We're not allowed to wash our cars at my condo complex (lame azz association).

Anyways, I was thinking of the 2 bucket method at a nice car wash.

Has anyone tried this? Does it work? How do you NOT spend a small fortune in quarters?
Old 03-11-2013, 07:49 PM
theczar
2nd Gear Member

my 2 cents....move
Old 03-11-2013, 07:57 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Make sure the car wash you go to allows you to bring buckets. Some have rules against this.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:58 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

This option might work and if your in the Seattle/Tacoma area they are local so you can just go in and pick it up. It's a spray on and wipe car wash stuff works great. You just need to make sure you only wipe on direction and use micro fiber towels which you can also get there.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks
Old 03-27-2013, 12:15 PM
jeremy95gt
1st Gear Member

I used to use that wasterless spray on car wash stuff too on my old xtreme, worked outstanding
Old 03-27-2013, 04:33 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Yeah it's great stuff huh, to bad it does not last long that is the only downside.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:22 AM
Coyote'13

I used to take my ws6 to the brown bear self wash. I just brought my own bucket, soap, 2 micro fiber sponges, wheel brush, micro fiber cloths for drying. I even have a mini squeegee for drying the windows. I just used it for initial spray off then rinse.

My car was black to minimizing scratches is always priority. I really didn't have any since it was a garage queen and had 22k miles on it. But anyways, I used one bucket. I always wash the top 3/4 of the car first so the bucket remains mostly uncontaminated. Then go back around to the bottom 1/4 (dirtiest section) if your moving with a purpose you won't have any issues with soap drying. If your taking your time just use your sponge to keep the areas starting to dry lubricated. They when the cars complete drop a few quarters in and rinse her off. You don't need a second bucket really.

I highly recommend a microfiber spronge opposed to a foam. The foam only sponge has a greatly chance of scratching the paint with debris. Always rinse at top of water level with shaking motion submerged in water. Always inspect the sponge every time you rinse it for debris before continuing washing. Your sponge should always look clean as new after the rinse. If not its still contaminated and scratches may be a result.

Sorry I know you didn't ask for all that :P
Old 04-06-2013, 04:38 AM
amyhughes
1st Gear Member

The coin-op places tend to disallow bucket washes while others are waiting, so go when they aren't busy. It doesn't cost a lot to use the coin-op for a bucket wash. The trick is to use a bucket with a lid so you can use the high-pressure sprayer to fill the bucket without blasting the water out of the bucket.

You could also try to convince your condo association to create a dedicated car wash spot. Hang a hose on the side of the maintenance garage or something. That's all I have available and I had to add a spray nozzle to my car wash kit since one isn't provided.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:48 AM
Coyote'13

I did forget also that since your using a high pressure line, you need to put the nozzle in bucket using your sponge to cover the tip of nozzle. Keep it submerged at the bottom until bucket is full. This will still allow the water to mix your soap solution as well. I wouldn't recommend just putting a lid over it while you fill it. Most ppl add soap to bucket first and added water mixes it....so with that being said. Blasting water in there will create a crazy amount of suds.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:53 AM
amyhughes
1st Gear Member

Default chassis bath?

Another question: how do you wash the underside without a lift? My mustang is my DD, including winter months, probably for another year until I can get an AWD Volvo or something. I'd like to be able to wash the underside in the winter.

Quick Reply: Washing my car!