Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

drive it or polish it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 11:39 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

I drive it more. Polishing is fun and all, but it's just not the same and my arms get worn out. Sometimes I call the neighbor over to help out, she's really good at getting it all shiny. Just make sure you're not relying only on friends, you need to get out there because you get out of practice after a while and your driving skills suffer, which is just not good for any parties involved. After all, if you don't use it, you lose it.

Last edited by CMcNam; 05-19-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:57 PM
Trez83
2nd Gear Member

If you polish it more than you drive it I have two suggestions:
1 - Drive it more.
2 - Sell it to someone who will drive it more.

If you wanted something to look at and not use, you should have bought some expensive art. At least that will appreciate over time, unlike your car.

Drive it man! It does it no good to sit still.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:13 PM
kdryan
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Trez83
If you polish it more than you drive it I have two suggestions:
1 - Drive it more.
2 - Sell it to someone who will drive it more.

If you wanted something to look at and not use, you should have bought some expensive art. At least that will appreciate over time, unlike your car.

Drive it man! It does it no good to sit still.
Why would you think his Mustang would not appreciate given enough time? I think any Boss 429 owner would disagree with that.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:41 PM
Trez83
2nd Gear Member

Depends. Did they make less than 1,400 of his car over 2 years like the Boss 429 cars? Sadly, I doubt it. Even the 2012-2013 Boss 302 run totals over 8,000 units.
It's just a sign of the times. They make more cars now then they did back then.
Apples to oranges.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:13 PM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

Depends. Did they make less than 1,400 of his car over 2 years like the Boss 429 cars? Sadly, I doubt it. Even the 2012-2013 Boss 302 run totals over 8,000 units.
Apples to oranges.
But he does lives in Sweden so it's probably more rare than that, I doubt there are more than a handful of those in his country.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:35 AM
kdryan
2nd Gear Member

Apples to oranges.
Never say never... No stock GT may ever roll across the stage at Barrett-Jackson for $400k, but the signs of collectablity are all there.

1. To paraphrase someone 'Like aging hookers and old buildings, Mustangs earn respectability given enough time.' If you look at what has become collectible over even just the last ten years, you'll be surprised by what people are buying up. Mavericks? We used to laugh at people who drove Mavericks. Today they are hot. '71-73 Mustangs? The black sheep of the first gen and for good reason. They were over-sized boats that couldn't get out of their own way. Now people are paying top dollar for them. Even the '74-78's are going for a premium depending on the model. $9000 for a Cobra II ten years ago? Take a zero off, maybe. Go price a couple Fox bodies compared to even five years ago...

2. This generation of Mustang is the one that brought it all back. '94-2004 are great cars and they started the Mustang on the retro trend, but 2005-2014 are the cars where Ford said '**** it, we're going for broke here.' My 2005 V6 at 210hp from the factory had more horsepower than most early 90's Corvettes. I think the 1992 'vette was rated at something like 205 hp. They only keep getting better as you get deeper into the S-197 years, which is a hell of a lot more than most cars do over their lifespan.

3. It's a Mustang, not a Chevy Impala or Monte Carlo or some crap like that. 'Nuff said... There is an entire community built up around the Mustang that is only bested by that of 'Vette owners, and I might even doubt that. It is an affordable car where the 'Vette isn't. The Camaro has been crap since '92 and is just coming back with this generation. The Challenger is over-hyped garbage. The Firebird/Trans Am died a painful embarrassing death, and for the last 20 years, the Mustang has been the only thing keeping the ricers in their place.

4. They may be making more cars, but cars today aren't around nearly as long nor are they as durable as cars used to be. While engine improvements are dramatic in horsepower and life, so much of the body has been sacrificed on the alter of weight, that what would have been a minor accident to a 60's Mustang will total a car today. They are more expensive to repair, more complicated, more everything. The result? They get junked quicker than a car would even twenty years ago. That means while there may be more to start with, pretty soon there won't be. How often do you see a Fox body Mustang these days? They were EVERYWHERE, now they're an unusual sight.

So yeah, I think given enough time, he could get his money back on the car. Personally, mine is going to my son and hopefully his son will look at it the way I look at a '70 Mach 1.

End of rant...

Last edited by kdryan; 05-20-2013 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Added content.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:44 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CMcNam
That's the last time I post an innuendo.
Of course it's not...
Old 05-20-2013, 08:38 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Of course it's not...
Yeah, you're right.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:50 AM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

I bought my 2012 Mustang so i can drive it, blow other drivers away, Do some autocross & basically to enjoy my driving experience. I didnt bust my butt working & saving money to buy something i always wanted only to tuck it away in the corner and polish it every weekend & run like a girl every time I see a rain cloud.
I think the best way to enjoy a Mustang is to take it over to Hallet, Ok at the Shelby meets and drive that thing, take it on a road trip.
Some guys (babies) like to polish their trophies (*****) ....me, I like to actually use my car.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:12 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Talking

Originally Posted by mph07alloy
Yes, on a boring weekend afternoon its not uncommon for me to find something with my car that I need to clean, regardless if it actually needs cleaned or not.
DITTO

Quick Reply: drive it or polish it?