Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

drive it or polish it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 08:25 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jim Henderson
It seems that keeping my black gt clean is a full time job , with 3 miles of gravel road before I even get to black top ,,, I should have bought one a different color!!!!Attachment 34516
i hear ya jim..me last stang was black..never ever again own a black car..
dust is the killer aye?
Old 06-12-2013, 09:15 AM
mith
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
It makes me happy to drive them. Not put it away, hiding from the world to be a garage find when I die at 80 years old and never profited from the sale of it.
I will never be able to afford to buy another Mustang like the one I have, so I don't drive it to work (except for now since my Honda's out of commission right now). I would like to drive my baby ONLY for fun, not work.

For me, my Mustang is my baby, not a work horse for me. I get a lot of pleasure out of washing/waxing it. Do with your car what ever makes you happy. If you have a Cobra... and can afford to drive it, DO SO! I would NEVER criticize someone for driving their car on a daily basis.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:33 PM
teetertotter
2nd Gear Member

Talking

Mine got driven every day to and from work or 110 miles a day, through rain, sleet, snow and salt for 4 years. Then I retired. It is still my daily driver and was getting once a year exterior treatment by Ziebart. In a few weeks, it will get Fire Glaze exterior treatment from local detailer. With 125,000 miles on it, I am amazed it has very few paint chips, which has to be addressed. My car was originally Ziebarted right off the lot along with underbody sound deadening. Then it gets the usual auto car washes with rotating brushes once a week during snow season and when ever in the summer. Mine is black and looks superb after the clear coat car wash treatment every time. I ride mine!
Old 06-18-2013, 05:42 PM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

Again, there are some guys that have older classic Mustangs, my buddy for example has a '69 Mach 1 w/428 cobra jet in showroom condition. The car is so fine that yeah, your gonna be afraid to drive it in fear of getting stone chips and just the extra miles and wear & tear of driving will cause the value of the car to go down... Dam shame because I would love to drive it around town. Is that the way to treat a Mustang?

Nothing wrong with washing & waxing your car, that should be a part of normal part of maintaining your ride but the real enjoyment of owning a Mustang is driving it..
I think having a few bug marks up front, a few stone chips here or there adds character to your car...
Old 06-22-2013, 05:12 AM
mith
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CaptainRon
Again, there are some guys that have older classic Mustangs, my buddy for example has a '69 Mach 1 w/428 cobra jet in showroom condition. The car is so fine that yeah, your gonna be afraid to drive it in fear of getting stone chips and just the extra miles and wear & tear of driving will cause the value of the car to go down... Dam shame because I would love to drive it around town. Is that the way to treat a Mustang?

Nothing wrong with washing & waxing your car, that should be a part of normal part of maintaining your ride but the real enjoyment of owning a Mustang is driving it..
I think having a few bug marks up front, a few stone chips here or there adds character to your car...
A high school friend of mine had a Mach 1. I almost bought it... AWESOME looking car! It took me 30 plus years to finally get MY Mustang... heh. The reason I love my 2013 Mustang is because It's similar to the "68" fast back mustang. Sometimes patience is a virtue... hehe...
Old 06-22-2013, 08:34 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gadgetech
I keep mine polished but it gets driven very little. My DD is a Pathfinder and while I do like cleaning on a vehicle I don't want to spend hours every weekend doing it. I find that keeping a car waxed makes it easier to clean and having the right tools for the job makes it easier. It takes me less time to wax (not polish) a car than it does wash it, gotta love a DA polisher.
I get to drive mine on weekends only most of the time. I would agree totally, very easy to clean a waxed car.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:09 PM
MarkMan
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker
tbh it's a waste or time me owning this stang..i'm too paranoid to drive it..all i'm doing with it now is taking it outa the garage once a week to get the lawn mower out and driving it back in..
i'm scared it's gonna get stone chips or the motor is gonna go bang.
shall i sell it?
I tend to clean mine a lot! But stop and think about it: the more you drive it the more reason you have to clean it! Get out on a road course track or drag race it a little, it's fun and you will really have a reason to clean it up!
Old 06-23-2013, 08:38 AM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mith
A high school friend of mine had a Mach 1. I almost bought it... AWESOME looking car! It took me 30 plus years to finally get MY Mustang... heh. The reason I love my 2013 Mustang is because It's similar to the "68" fast back mustang. Sometimes patience is a virtue... hehe...
Oh I couldnt agree anymore! My last Mustang was a '84 GT back in 1988 when I was just out of H/S. When I first saw the redesigned '05's I feel in love with it and promised myself I was going to buy one. well, I got my 2012! Am I paranoid about driving it? sure, I think thats normal with any brand new car. The first year I had it I drove it only on weekends & long road trips. I find myself driving it more & more as the sensation of buying a brand spanking new car wears off...
Its a blast to drive and they should be driven to enjoy...
Old 07-12-2013, 06:20 AM
Shikobasmith

I am having great fun here while exploring the beauty of the latest cars. Now I am getting eager to purchase a new one.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:29 AM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

Hi. I may be in Georgia, but I feel like I polish, as much as I drive it sometimes.

Quick Reply: drive it or polish it?