Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Where do i start?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 05:19 AM
derboesekoenig
1st Gear Member

Default Where do i start?

I have researched so many different kinds of products. There are so many to choose from. I'm looking for something to start with--like the whole shebang. Is there a kit worth getting? Or should I piece it all together myself? I'll need the microfiber cloths, maybe a buffer, and everything else. Interior as well as exterior. What do y'all recommend?

I've been looking at autogeeks different co plate kits. It's kind of overwhelming honestly.

Last edited by derboesekoenig; 06-02-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:08 PM
xocolleenox
1st Gear Member

Personally I'd gather your own stuff together.
If you're completely new to detailing a kit may be all you need/want but over time you'll find products you like better in their place.

What you should buy depends on how much you have spend. I'd start by gathering basic supplies before getting the pressure washers and polishers and such. Read through the section and see what others here recommend and are liking.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:52 AM
derboesekoenig
1st Gear Member

That's the thing--i don't know where to start and I feel like buying it all together would be a good starting point. Would it be recommended to add a PC with everything or just wait?
Old 06-03-2013, 08:43 AM
mith
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by derboesekoenig
That's the thing--i don't know where to start and I feel like buying it all together would be a good starting point. Would it be recommended to add a PC with everything or just wait?
Since nobody's replied to this yet, I'll give it a try and give you my 01¢... and being new to this myself, I don't feel I should assume my advice is worth 02¢.

Anyway, first you have to get a buffer. What kind? Not sure. There are two fundamental buffers. Orbital and non-orbital. The orbital not only spins, but it moves the pad in an off-set circular motion while the regular buffer only rotates in a circular motion. There are tons of brands to choose from, just Google (or Bing) "car buffers".

Then there's the stuff you will be using to remove swirls and polish after your swirl-free. I've been seeing a lot of people suggest Maguire's 105 and 205. I think the 105 is abrasive and the 205 is for finishing.

I couldn't find 105 or 205, so I got Maguire's 2.0 (which I assume since it says, "swirl remover" is the same as the 105. I use Blue Coral wax/sealer to finish my process. Don't know how it compares to say, Maguire's 205, but I'm certainly happy with it so far.

I have an orbital as well, but I think it takes longer to get the same effect as the regular buffer does... but you have to be willing to learn how to use it as it really does take some finesse to use.

Good luck with your endeavor. Nothing like stepping back after washing/waxing your car and admiring how nice it looks! Right now, I'm almost at the point where my car is 99% swirl free, though I still have more learning to do before I can get it perfect.

Also, do a Google search for, "Junk Man"... he seems to really know what he's doing! He has some very informative, step my step videos that will tell you everything you need to know.

PS... Harbor Freight seems to have some of the lowest prices on buffers... check them out.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:44 PM
derboesekoenig
1st Gear Member

Ok here is my situation. I will be coming back from deployment soon and will be returning to college dorms for a year. My car will be under a Covercraft cover all year, though there is a self-wash/detailing place across the street. I will probably buy a polisher from harbor freight just to try it out.
Here's what I just bought from auto geek:
Perfect wheel car care
Pinnacle Concours interior kit
Autogeek clean and clear kit
The original forum favorite kit
And some random free things...

How did I do?
Old 06-03-2013, 10:06 PM
MuffinSpecial
1st Gear Member

hello there. im gunna just see if i can help you out. I am a professional car detailer my self so im going to see what i can do to help you out.
okay so product wise your looking good so far. i looked up all the kits you bought and the products you have there are good solid specialty products. the more focused a product is on a one certain tast usually means the better because well lets face it. there is no do it all product. what i recommend next is holding off on the polisher. what you would want is a duel action polisher its the safest out there but i really recommend holding off for now. lets get our feet in the ground first. its best to protect and prevent then to make it perfect then ruin it again with improper technique. if you want to stay on the cheeper side of stuff i recomend getting the more basic essentials next time. like over the self stuff more. meguiar's makes good product for a good price for example. i actually like there california gold line. saves you a dollor if you try that out. honestly i recommend having at least six microfiber towels. makes it so you always have one thats clean. (always remove the tags from the towels if they come with one on them) also recomend getting three buckets if the packs that you bought didnt already give you any. i recomend three for the two bucket wash methed and one for the wheels strictly. the wheel bucket i like to make black so i know its the wheels and wheels only. never mix and match. if you want any help on how to use a product or some tips on how to properly take care of certain things on or in the car let me know ill happily help. i hope this helped you out.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:05 PM
derboesekoenig
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the advice. I wanted to just go all in and make sure I had all my bases covered. I honestly haven't done a lot of detailing but when I have, I've used cheap off the shelf products that didn't I press me too much. I'm still going to do further research into different techniques and methods because I'm not that familiar. Thanks again! I appreciate it.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:54 AM
mith
1st Gear Member

. I will be coming back from deployment soon
Derboesekoenig... thank you SO much for your service! You are a true hero to me and the rest of America!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:45 AM
MuffinSpecial
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the advice. I wanted to just go all in and make sure I had all my bases covered. I honestly haven't done a lot of detailing but when I have, I've used cheap off the shelf products that didn't I press me too much. I'm still going to do further research into different techniques and methods because I'm not that familiar. Thanks again! I appreciate it.
no problem man. if you want to look into the how to part and dont mind watching some videos http://www.youtube.com/user/AMMONYCdotcom i would have to say that this man really knows his stuff and is a good teacher. hope that helps
Old 06-05-2013, 07:40 AM
derboesekoenig
1st Gear Member

Thanks! That will help a bunch

Quick Reply: Where do i start?