Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

How do you keep your paint looking new?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 10:20 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Some of the other guys may disagree but here's my thoughts on preserving the color and shine of paint.

3 step system. I firmly believe in the 3 step. You don't need to waste your time waxing every month. I do the 3-step once a year and my paint still looks almost brand new after 8 years. I occasionally get comments like "wow that thing still looks brand new! What do you do?"

I will admit my color has faded slightly, but this is solely due to the fact that I live in GA and the car has always been parked outside. Had i parked in a garage all this time, my paint would be flawless. If you can park in a garage, or even under a tin roof it makes a big difference for your paint, and interior as well!

But the 3 steps is killer, and i think you really only need it once (maybe twice) per year. You wash it. You do a thorough cleaner wax, a thorough polish wax, then a thorough carnuba wax. This system removes grit and oxidization, brings the color & shine back, then locks everything in with a strong layer of carnuba. The results are killer, no gimmick, i believe in the 3-step 100%.

As far as car covers and not driving in inclement weather go, ultimately it is a car, and not a very expensive one at that. It's meant to be driven and rode hard. Taking the time to put on a car cover on and off every day is a pain-in-the-***! And if it's raining or a little snow, I still gotta go where i need to go and don't want to be a pansy about babying my car.

As far as scratches i think 3m's scratch remover is best. I dab a little primer into the scratch, then wait 24 hours then sand with 1500 and water. Then i carefully do the same with base paint, then the same process with clear. Then buff everything together alternating between 3m scratch remover and Turtle's polishing wax. And i get my base paint from Paintscratch.com, they are great.

Just my thoughts on car-paint care. My car after 8 years:

Old 12-23-2013, 09:30 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Yes, I guess car covers can be a pain if you aren't use to it. For me, I have it down to 3 minutes or less....that's detailing with the California Duster and folding and storing the cover. I have a work vehicle as well as two other vehicles that are my primary cars. The Mustang is just a "pretty day" toy for me, so there is no need to drive it in nasty weather if I choose not to.....which I never have.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:48 AM
shad2009
5th Gear Member

if your car stays outside in all these harsh elements i'd suggest a full correction in the spring and just before the winter. by full correction, I mean wash, machine polish (the strength of the polish depending on how damaged your paint is), a good sealant (which should last you until the next correction), top off the sealant with a glaze and carnauba wax. and in between the corrections you should only need to wash (2 bucket) an top some glaze and wax on every 6 weeks (less if you store outside, more time if you store inside) it will take time to perfect it but if you keep at it, you'll be able to keep your paint gorgeous for a long time
Old 12-24-2013, 05:49 PM
massguy54
1st Gear Member

Never drive in rain ,or high wind .That is too funny
Old 12-25-2013, 04:20 AM
timhazlewood

A car is not a small investment by any means. When you buy a car, you expect that it will run well on the inside and look great on the outside. Some of the responsibility for keeping your car looking nice falls to you as the owner. Auto body paint can be a serious issue when a car starts to fade or is involved in an accident. Use the following tips to keep your car’s paint looking brand new for as long as you own the car.
A very reputed auto body shop gives you Tips To Keep Your Car Looking New:

Not All Car Washes Are Created Equally
Polishing
Wax On, Wax Off
No Laundry Soap or Dish Detergent!
Keep Your Car Dusted.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:06 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by massguy54
Never drive in rain ,or high wind .That is too funny
I guess if you aren't concerned about the paint finish and you are the type that drives your car everyday, then yes driving in rain or high wind would sound funny. But for those of us who have other cars to drive in adverse weather plus like keeping our Mustangs looking new, then driving in rain or high wind is a no, no. High wind can throw debris that will scratch or chip the paint. Rain could cause electrical grimlins as well as getting the car dirty. Believe it or not, I have yet to wash my Mustang.....and I do keep it outside but I keep it clean and detailed.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:07 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
I guess if you aren't concerned about the paint finish and you are the type that drives your car everyday, then yes driving in rain or high wind would sound funny. But for those of us who have other cars to drive in adverse weather plus like keeping our Mustangs looking new, then driving in rain or high wind is a no, no. High wind can throw debris that will scratch or chip the paint. Rain could cause electrical grimlins as well as getting the car dirty. Believe it or not, I have yet to wash my Mustang.....and I do keep it outside but I keep it clean and detailed.
Thanks for that. Around here the wind whips up sand something fierce which not only pits the paint but the windshield as well.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:09 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

Depends on what the dust particles are. If it's dirt dust that has blown on your car from a nearby dirt road, then I would spray or wash the car down. You don't want dirt or debris to get into the fibers of the car cover...it could scratch your finish.
If it's fine dust....like powder, then you could use a microfiber cloth with Detailing Spray. Just don't put so much pressure when wiping off.
It's just dust that settles on it when it sits in the garage. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:30 AM
massguy54
1st Gear Member

Driving on the road in nice weather can throw debris from cars in front you also.I guess if its a show car then I can understand.But think of all the times you miss driving it because of looking for perfect weather
Old 01-09-2014, 03:25 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

Depends on what the dust particles are. If it's dirt dust that has blown on your car from a nearby dirt road, then I would spray or wash the car down. You don't want dirt or debris to get into the fibers of the car cover...it could scratch your finish.
If it's fine dust....like powder, then you could use a microfiber cloth with Detailing Spray. Just don't put so much pressure when wiping off.
Found one at the hardware store and love it. Thanks. Even though it's winter and has sat in the garage for the past month, still want it looking good.

Quick Reply: How do you keep your paint looking new?