Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

How long should I wait to wax

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 09:16 AM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

Default How long should I wait to wax

It doesn't need it right away but I'd like to wax my 2014 black GT soon. Got the wax already (stepped up to SONAX products)

My production date is 12/13 so the paint is brand brand new. Should I wait to wax it for a a few months or am I good to go?
Old 01-08-2014, 10:21 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

claybar first 100%
without a claybaring first your waisting ya time.
i wax mine once a week during the driving months..i use black wax aswell from turtle wax which works amazingly on black cars..
claybar first is essential
Old 01-08-2014, 08:07 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

Is it really necessary to clay, because it's brand new paint.
I usually clay before wax anyway.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:16 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Thoroughly washing, claying, and waxing my car would have been the first thing I did when I got home from the dealership with a brand new car. A couple of things:

You're assuming the dealership waxed it at all for you. Did they say they did? You didn't buy one of those paint protection packages or whatever crap that try to push, right? Wax is protection on top of paint, so regardless how new, it needs wax. I don't know what your dealer protocol is, or what Ford's is, whatever it is I wouldn't trust it anyway.

Cars are usually shipped in bulk by train, and in the process pick up rail dust that can really embed itself in your paint. This is why I would clay immediately when getting the car, and then obviously you'd need to wax afterwards.

Also, if you didn't tell the dealership to keep their hands off the car (which most people except us obsessive detailers don't), it probably has dealer installed swirl marks as well, so you may or may not want to polish if you have a polisher. Otherwise, it's probably not THAT bad as long as you don't add more yourself.

Oh, and waxing once a week is excessive and only wastes your wax. If you have a wax of any decent quality, it should last you a good month or so (if for some reason it doesn't throw it away and get something better). Any more and you're probably just doing a lot of work for nothing. I've been using Carnaubavore from our very own SON1C and it lasts two to three months pretty easy, if not more.

Last edited by AJ06GT; 01-08-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:04 AM
XxDISMEMBEREDxX
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJ06GT
Thoroughly washing, claying, and waxing my car would have been the first thing I did when I got home from the dealership with a brand new car. A couple of things:

You're assuming the dealership waxed it at all for you. Did they say they did? You didn't buy one of those paint protection packages or whatever crap that try to push, right? Wax is protection on top of paint, so regardless how new, it needs wax. I don't know what your dealer protocol is, or what Ford's is, whatever it is I wouldn't trust it anyway.

Cars are usually shipped in bulk by train, and in the process pick up rail dust that can really embed itself in your paint. This is why I would clay immediately when getting the car, and then obviously you'd need to wax afterwards.

Also, if you didn't tell the dealership to keep their hands off the car (which most people except us obsessive detailers don't), it probably has dealer installed swirl marks as well, so you may or may not want to polish if you have a polisher. Otherwise, it's probably not THAT bad as long as you don't add more yourself.

Oh, and waxing once a week is excessive and only wastes your wax. If you have a wax of any decent quality, it should last you a good month or so (if for some reason it doesn't throw it away and get something better). Any more and you're probably just doing a lot of work for nothing. I've been using Carnaubavore from our very own SON1C and it lasts two to three months pretty easy, if not more.
Why does everyone keep saying that waxing my car every week is "excessive"? My obsessions are none of your business! Alan enables me by sending me more detail products. OK, OK... I need an intervention. LOL!
Old 01-09-2014, 10:19 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by XxDISMEMBEREDxX
Why does everyone keep saying that waxing my car every week is "excessive"? My obsessions are none of your business! Alan enables me by sending me more detail products. OK, OK... I need an intervention. LOL!
Hahaha, I mean, it won't hurt to wax it once a week if you really want to. I completely understand the obsessions!
Old 01-09-2014, 10:42 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

i wax mine after every drive..
even if it's up the road...
Old 01-09-2014, 02:40 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lethaldosage423
It doesn't need it right away but I'd like to wax my 2014 black GT soon. Got the wax already (stepped up to SONAX products)

My production date is 12/13 so the paint is brand brand new. Should I wait to wax it for a a few months or am I good to go?
To answer your question, I've always understood you should wait about 6 months before waxing a new paint job.

But I'm an old guy and this was before clear coat, but I think it still applies.

Last edited by potman; 01-09-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:53 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

For a factory paint job, you only need to wait a maximum of 30 days from date of manufacture. For a repaint, waiting 90 days would be appropriate.

I would clay a new car immediately, but not wax it if it was manufactured within the last 30 days. Go easy with the clay bar so you don't scratch the paint. Be sure to use plenty of lubricant. At the 30 day mark, I would clay it, polish it only if needed, and then apply sealant or wax or both.

Just my opinion--there are undoubtedly plenty of differing opinions out there.

People who wax their cars weekly are not harming the car unless the wax contains abrasives. Neither are they helping the car any. But it's something to do, and if you enjoy it, then go for it!

Last edited by Art161; 01-11-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:01 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

I should clarify, I have heard that you should wait 30 days or so for a factory paint job, I'm just assuming you didn't custom order your car, and even if you did, it's probably already getting close to 30 days. Re-reading I see you said your production date is 12/13 and you don't know the day, you're about 50/50 that it's already had 30 days. Wait until the end of January if you want to be safe, but after 30 days you should be fine.

Quick Reply: How long should I wait to wax