General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is there a big difference in MPG between V6 and V8 Stangs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 04:34 PM
Solver

Default Is there a big difference in MPG between V6 and V8 Stangs?

Just wondering is there a big difference in gas mileage between the V6 and V8 Stangs. I was reading somewhere that V8 stangs are big gas guzzlers and that really turnedme off on the V8 version, but I was I was considering a V6 version to save gas... sodoes the V6 get a big difference in gas mileage than the V8? If so how much... or should I just get a SRT-4 ...and does anyone know if those cars are good on gas?.. besides going in boost etc.. I like mustangs and neons only cars I like in the price range.. so I'll get either of the two.. which would you want V6 stange or SRT-4?... (I prob know that answer but..) post anyways thanks..
Old 12-28-2006, 05:09 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Is there a big difference in MPG between V6 and V8 Stangs?

The 6'rs are good for about 2mpg better than the 8's. You can make it up by choosing a standard tranny. In fact a GT with a 5 speed is nearly as good fuel economy as a 6'r auto, and WAAAAY more fun

Check out this site for different cars economies

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm
Old 12-28-2006, 05:23 PM
Wild_Side

I've owned both V6 Stang and my current 87 Stang GT. My thoughts, you will not get as good of gas mileage because hearing that 5.0 pushrod engine, or a hollowed out 4.6, sound is undescribable as you can feel the power pulsating in your right foot. If you have the V8 and the will power to drive it like a V6, then you will get almost as good of gas mileage. However, if you are like me and can't keep your foot out of it, then you will not see that good gas mileage. However, you don't buy a V8 stang for gas mileage.....
Old 12-28-2006, 05:44 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

my buddies 99 GT with 4.10s gets 21

my stock v6 gets 20[&o]

if you just want that v8 sound and something quick out of the box go with a GT if you want to have some fun and do a build up go with a v6
Old 12-28-2006, 05:45 PM
Solver

Thanks for the replys. Basically you're saying theres not really much difference in MPG between the V6 and V8. I really wish the GT had better gas mileage so I could afford to drive it. Im going to college soon and I dont have the cash for gas. Maybe I'll get the neon(srt-4) since those cars get like 20-22 city I believe and something like 30 on hwy. By the way how much do you GT owners spend on gas per month? Cause if I could spend like 50-60 dollars on gas a month I could drive the GT.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:48 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Depends on how much you drive the car. I generally get 24+mpg with my GT, and I drive about 45 miles per day. If you only drive 500 miles per month, you'll be well within your budget. If you happen to be driving friends around, make sure to use some of their gas budget as well.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:52 PM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Solver

Thanks for the replys. Basically you're saying theres not really much difference in MPG between the V6 and V8. I really wish the GT had better gas mileage so I could afford to drive it. Im going to college soon and I dont have the cash for gas. Maybe I'll get the neon(srt-4) since those cars get like 20-22 city I believe and something like 30 on hwy. By the way how much do you GT owners spend on gas per month? Cause if I could spend like 50-60 dollars on gas a month I could drive the GT.
I get that in my 5.0 if I keep my foot out of it and drive like grandma.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:40 PM
tjcoates7

I usually spend around 500-600 dollars a month on gas. I drive between 700-1100 miles a week! I feel like a truck driver sometimes.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:46 PM
wythors
2nd Gear Member

If you're asking this question in the first place, you probably shouldn't be considering a Mustang as your daily driver.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:07 AM
Solver

Well, I like mustangs so I was crossing my fingers to get some good replys on mgp for the stang. Thanks for the replys and hopefully I will see in the next two months what to get. I will weigh my options. Thanks again..happy new years.

Quick Reply: Is there a big difference in MPG between V6 and V8 Stangs?