General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Suspension Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 01:32 AM
phat stang

Default Suspension Install

I have bought eibach loweing springs, and kyb gas shocks and struts. Anyone have any suggestions or a how to guide on how to put them in myself. I have an idea, but I would like some reccomendations from the pros.</P>
Old 08-02-2003, 06:02 PM
Buzzstang
4th Gear Member

jack the car up and put it on jack stands. the rear end should drop along with the fron suspension. you dont want any pressure on the springs.. on the back undo your lower control arms remove springs. make sure you support the rear end with a jack so you can lower it down slowly. while you got the rear lowered replace the shocks. repeat what you did to take them out just in reverse.
Old 08-03-2003, 04:22 PM
n2o44
2nd Gear Member

the front is a lil more tricky , and cn get hairy if u dont have a spring compressor . there are alot of ways to do the front but the way i do it is but getting the ball joint out first . do your self a favor and put a chain inside the coil and and tied to the k frame , put a bolt and nut on it to keep the spring at bay just incase it pops out , i have seen this happen in my dealership not nice . lower the control arm and pop the spring out wit a pry bar ill be stuck in there just a lil bit still. put the new one in and hold it against the control arm so it dosent slip out (u will know what i mean when u do it )slowly compress it it till u can put the spindle on the ball joint , thread it bout five turns and your done . thats the way i do it . w/o a compressor . dont forget spring isolators and the way the pig tail needs to face on the rear springs and the fronts need to be in between the two small holes . good luck.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:46 PM
phat stang

What do I do if I have a spring compressor already. I sure it would be a lot easier
Old 08-06-2003, 05:36 AM
n2o44
2nd Gear Member

there are diff types i made a peice to do the mustang coil faster, i have the one with hooks that goes into the coil, dosent fit , i made a peice thou , there are so many diff ones out there . basically you can compress the spring to give you more room while you jack the lower arm up , you can do it without it , you just have to hold it in place til you begin to compress it say 1/4 way up then ill stay in there . you will need a helper .
Old 08-06-2003, 06:41 AM
brockleew
2nd Gear Member

Changing the front springs are so easy. I thought they were gonna be tough b/c peeps were saying they were tricky. I had a friend of mine that REALLY knew what he was talking about show me, and we had the old ones out and new ones in all around in 30 minutes. You just have to loosen the nut on the ball joint till about half the nut is hangin off the threads....lower the jack a little bit till the top of the A arm is just about an 1/8 in from the bottom of the nut. Take a pickle fork and wedge it between the A arm and the bottom of the bushing on the ball joint and then knock the snot outta it. Once you break it free youll notice that the 1/8th in gap is gone underneith the nut on the balljoint and it will keep enough pressure on the joint to allow you to take the nut all the way off. Remove the nut and slowly lower the jack down. Make sure to have someone guiding the brake sheilding outta way and then lower the A arm all the way till it cant go any more. Take a tire iron and pop that spring out. If yer not installing drag shocks then just stick the other shocks back in and jack the A arm back up, guiding the balljoint back through the hole....thats it
Old 08-07-2003, 11:25 PM
Mustang88LXKid
3rd Gear Member

well if you subscribe to www.fordmuscle.com they will give you great installation tips and will guide you through lowering a mustang.