General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Installed shocks / Strange 10 way struts etc. last night

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 12:14 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default Installed shocks / Strange 10 way struts etc. last night

Got em in yesterday, was gonna take the car to the shop and do it but I got impatient and threw down in the ole garage last night. Dropped the front swaybar and installed fox body Strange 10 way struts and removed the quad shocks in the rear and installed Monroe Sensi-trac fox body shocks (thanks JD!)

Let me tell you, them Strange 10-ways are the best thing since sliced bread. I can go from a drag strut to regular street driving to road racing strut in literally 10 seconds per side. To adjust them all I have to do is turn the wheel out and reach my hand in and turn the dial. Setting of 1 - 10, 1 being softest and 10 being the stiffest.

On #2 (they recommend 2-3 for drag) and no sway bar the car squats great and the front end rises, even with cold Nitto's and half throttle. You DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT want to ride on the street like this. A jerk of the wheel to either side and the car literally dips and rises a foot on either side. Way cool but just not for me for daily driving. Considering I didn't have the swaybar on I set the struts to the #9 setting on both sides and, even with no sway bar, theirs very little body roll - it drives nearly identicle to the way it drove before with the swaybar still on! Meaning I won't be taking the swaybar on and off on track day - I can just twist the dial and now I have a drag setup! Way cool.

Removing the quad shocks and brackets saved me about 10#'s in the back and I didn't have ANY wheelhop - not even close. If you've got aftermarket lower control arms you don't need the quad shocks, their just dead weight... othewise if you've still got the stock ones then leave the quads on.

As far as the rear Sensi-trac shocks - its hard for me to give them a comparison because I changed so much of my suspension, but JD says they really give a comfortable ride and good weight transfer.

Also I test fit the slicks, all's good and hopefully Sunday my clutch won't slip to bad on the launch and I can get some great 60's and some great times. My goal is 11.49 - if my clutch holds halfway decent I think I can do it. Hoping for a 60' of 1.59 or better.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:32 PM
chriscindy6369
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Installed shocks / Strange 10 way struts etc. last night

keep us posted bro. good job
Old 01-07-2005, 07:22 PM
Mustangous
2nd Gear Member

wow... sounds great. how much are those stang struts???
Old 01-07-2005, 07:25 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

strange 10ways were only $110 each, the monroe's were $25 each
Old 01-07-2005, 07:26 PM
Mustangous
2nd Gear Member

thats a good deal..
Old 01-07-2005, 07:27 PM
vshayes
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: mdvaldosta

Considering I didn't have the swaybar on I set the struts to the #9 setting on both sides and, even with no sway bar, theirs very little body roll - it drives nearly identicle to the way it drove before with the swaybar still on! Meaning I won't be taking the swaybar on and off on track day - I can just twist the dial and now I have a drag setup! Way cool.

Oh yea you will be putting that sway bar back on. [sm=trust_me.gif][sm=exactly.gif]
Old 01-08-2005, 02:16 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

I also put the Monroe's on last weekend. Thanks also, JD. The weight transfer is very noticeable. From second gear at 2000 rpms, the *** end squats and you can feel and see the front end lift. My new upper and lower control arms will be in next week. MD let me know how it goes at the track.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:02 AM
fastmustangs1
2nd Gear Member

How does the car handle with those struts and shocks. Are they adjustable, because they will allow you to set it up the way you want. I went with Koni sports because I wanted the best quality and came with a lifetime warranty.

Matt[sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old 08-23-2010, 04:52 PM
Nemesis_5.0
1st Gear Member

Question

Originally Posted by mdvaldosta
Got em in yesterday, was gonna take the car to the shop and do it but I got impatient and threw down in the ole garage last night. Dropped the front swaybar and installed fox body Strange 10 way struts and removed the quad shocks in the rear and installed Monroe Sensi-trac fox body shocks (thanks JD!)

Let me tell you, them Strange 10-ways are the best thing since sliced bread. I can go from a drag strut to regular street driving to road racing strut in literally 10 seconds per side. To adjust them all I have to do is turn the wheel out and reach my hand in and turn the dial. Setting of 1 - 10, 1 being softest and 10 being the stiffest.

On #2 (they recommend 2-3 for drag) and no sway bar the car squats great and the front end rises, even with cold Nitto's and half throttle. You DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT want to ride on the street like this. A jerk of the wheel to either side and the car literally dips and rises a foot on either side. Way cool but just not for me for daily driving. Considering I didn't have the swaybar on I set the struts to the #9 setting on both sides and, even with no sway bar, theirs very little body roll - it drives nearly identicle to the way it drove before with the swaybar still on! Meaning I won't be taking the swaybar on and off on track day - I can just twist the dial and now I have a drag setup! Way cool.

Removing the quad shocks and brackets saved me about 10#'s in the back and I didn't have ANY wheelhop - not even close. If you've got aftermarket lower control arms you don't need the quad shocks, their just dead weight... othewise if you've still got the stock ones then leave the quads on.

As far as the rear Sensi-trac shocks - its hard for me to give them a comparison because I changed so much of my suspension, but JD says they really give a comfortable ride and good weight transfer.

Also I test fit the slicks, all's good and hopefully Sunday my clutch won't slip to bad on the launch and I can get some great 60's and some great times. My goal is 11.49 - if my clutch holds halfway decent I think I can do it. Hoping for a 60' of 1.59 or better.
I just recently installed my strange 10 ways last weekend and i took it out for a drive and i noticed a "bumping" noise like if the top nut on the strut wasn't tightened all the way? So i tried to tighten it some more and it's already as tight as it will go! Any suggestions? How did you tighten your top nuts without the strut shaft turning? I also installed the Maximum Motorsports Caster Camper plates at the same time not sure if they are what is causing the problem or not?
Old 08-23-2010, 05:37 PM
robs400
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nemesis_5.0
I just recently installed my strange 10 ways last weekend and i took it out for a drive and i noticed a "bumping" noise like if the top nut on the strut wasn't tightened all the way? So i tried to tighten it some more and it's already as tight as it will go! Any suggestions? How did you tighten your top nuts without the strut shaft turning? I also installed the Maximum Motorsports Caster Camper plates at the same time not sure if they are what is causing the problem or not?
I went thru the same "issue" that you are having 2 years ago when I installed the strange equipment front and rear on my car. I at first thought there was somethign wrong with the way I installed them, or the shocks/struts happened to be defective. I took the video seen below and sent it to strange for their input.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o...ent=Shocks.mp4

They wanted the shocks and struts sent back to them for testing. I sent them out and they put them on a shock dyno to try and recreate the noise at different rates. They could not find anything or re-create the noise heard in the video. We even went so far as to put tighter fit bushings inside of the shock mounts (inside the rubber). Still not change. I double checked everything and installed with new mounts and the noise is still there. I have also talked with several other people that have said they are "noisy" mine function fine and I am definately happy with them. Once I put the insulation back in the trunk and the back seat back up I really dont notice it anymore. I have had no problems at all with them. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Installed shocks / Strange 10 way struts etc. last night