General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Should I buy this mustang (update with video)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 12:46 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Should I buy this mustang

ORIGINAL: outrunstang

So for what I want to do with it and the engine runs good and the trans is good it is worth it? How much is a new ignition? I think he said to get the title it's around 60 bucks. Also he said that is has 2 cycle gas in it cause it ran out of gas and that was all he had to put in it. But it ran. Guess that won't hurt it for that short bit.
2 cycle gas meaning gas and oil mixed together? [sm=badidea.gif]

if you can get it titled and it runs i'd grab it for 500 bucks if you are 100% positive its not boosted. you cant expect any decent condition one for 500. project car ftw (and since you have a primary vehicle right now perfect for you). a new ignition shouldnt cost much.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:21 PM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

Doesn't look like a Cobra engine to me, the intake doesn't match. It looks like it would be a good project car, and since you have another vehicle that would be fine. Notches are supposedly also getting harder to find so if you were to fix it up and later decide to sell it you will probably get a little more than if it were a hatchback.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Explosive

What kind of idiot puts 2-stroke gas in a car ?
Old 10-12-2007, 09:03 PM
outrunstang

Well he put 2cycle in cause it's all he had to get it running at the time. Well anyway I bought it for 500 bucks. But there is a catch to all this. There is indeed a lein on this car. I have the name of the guy and I am going to call him and see what he says. The guy that I bought it from said he only owes $900. But whatever I will give them a call. But on to the day here and this car.

He said it has close to 300 horses. It has a 411 rear end. Ok well I couldn't even hardly drive this thing. I don't know if this is right but I could barley even push down the clutch pedal. It is hard as a rock. Oh and first gear???? You might as well forget that. That should just be called burnout gear. I kept peeling out and I was barley even giving it gas. Then when I did get up to speed of around 65 I thought I was in like 4th gear but nope. It was in 5th. You got to be kidding. He said it will run 130. I guess it would but here is the funny part to all this. By the way I am going to shoot video of this thing also while driving it.

After I got gas which was 87octane. It runs like crap. He told me to run 93 but I didn't. Anyway I get the wife in the car. Now you have to remember this is like a drag car. You can even see the ground from the gear shift. If you look right also you can see then engine through the fire wall in some parts. So, I take her out and I get on it hard and BAM oil just fills up the window. Remember there is no hood on this car. Smoke is coming out everywhere and into the car. She can't roll down her window cause it don't work. I felt like I was driving a nascar. I would get on it then slow down. Get on it and slow down just trying to get home. Long story short after 2 hours and thinking I had blown the engine it turned out it was a small nylon hose that goes to the oil gauge. Can I get that at AZ or Napa?

Old 10-12-2007, 09:41 PM
metlcub
2nd Gear Member

you should be able to get that hose from anyplace. Just call ahead casue that year migth be a little harder to find..

For $500 it's not a bad deal if you have something to drive while you fix that up. If you put about 5k into it, that car would sound/run/look nice and you could probably get 7k for it, depending on how many miles it has..
Old 10-12-2007, 11:25 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

definately got rear end gears then if its driving like that. nothing to complain about its just more speed

he probably had it tuned for premium, running anything other than premium will make it run horrible.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:54 PM
WPsharpshooter
3rd Gear Member

if you cant get a title for it then make that bitch a drag car
Old 10-13-2007, 05:55 AM
corvetteguy
3rd Gear Member

If there is a lien on the car I hope you did
not pay the guy any money because
you don't own it. The lien holder has the title and you will never be able
to retitle it.
Not unless you satisfy the lienholder.

You bought a car in the condition it was in
and took it to 65 MJPH?

You must have a death wish...
Old 10-13-2007, 06:07 AM
outrunstang

Yes, I took to 65 that is nothing. The car is only in bad shape because that is what these guys do over there at there place. They just have lots of cars and money. A bunch of kids. This thing runs like a bad out of hell. I know it's a fast car and can do 65 easily with no problem. I have seen the guy driving it around over the past year as he is my neigbor down the street. He said it will do 130. The car is stable but it seriously feels like you are driving a nascar. It's rough, loud, and in first gear you can't even touch the gas cause you will be at 3,000 rpm just like that. When he drove it to my house to drop it off he peeled out for the longest time in it. I was kinda pissed but thought well it used to be his car so what the heck.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:10 AM
outrunstang

Also today I am going to contact the lein holder and find out more about this car. If I get this car running today after the hose is fixed I will shoot video of it on the road and off.

Quick Reply: Should I buy this mustang (update with video)