General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Applying Vinyl Stripes

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Pnkhead
2nd Gear Member

Default Applying Vinyl Stripes

Applying Vinyl Stripes[align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align]This guide will teach you the basics to apply vinyl stripes to your car. I will tell you step by step and what you need. [align=left] [/align]DISCLAIMER: This is the way that worked for me and if you have a better way or another way please continue doing it. This is just for people that have no idea or need help on a certain part. Also this is a high risk thing, prepare for the worse.[align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align]ANOTHER DISCLAIMER: Your stripes might not turn out perfect and they prolly won’t. What I mean is all the bubbles might not go away and there maybe will be a crease(that’s the worse that can happen and I hope it wont happen)I had a few bubbles and one crease on the end of the trunk lid on mine. Are they noticeable? Not really, you can’t see them unless you stick your face up to the stripe which you wouldn’t do. Prolly 8/10 or even 9/10 people wont notice unless you tell them or there trying to find them or just happen to see your stripe really close depending how many bubbles there are. You’ve seen the pictures of mine can you see them? Second thought it could even be 10/10 that wouldn’t notice.[align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align]Materials[align=left] [/align][align=left] Measuring tape and string(like a spool of string)Some sort of safe tape, I used masking tape and I thought it ruined my paint but I just checked and I think everything’s ok there’s a questionable spot that may have been done by the tape so be careful on which tape you use! Also take the tape off as soon as you can. BTW my car is decently old (old as sn95s go) So if my paint can take it im sure yours can just be careful and put it on lightly but not to lightly. (DO NOT use duck tape or any super strong tape). IMO id buy same safer tape than use masking tape. Good thing about tape is it can come in different sizes so if you want 2’’ spacing get 2’’ spacing.Grease pen, you can make marks on your car and it’ll wash off. I actually used a normal pen on a piece of tape, still works but more work and more tape on your car :O so maybe you shouldn’t do it that way.Paper towels, they are very helpful for the first run of getting it smooth and make a good cushion for the squeegee.A squeegee, hopefully your vinyl stripe maker gives you one, if they don’t; go to a local sign shop or a hardware store.A liquid solution made up of 20 ounces of water, 1/4 teaspoon of dishwashing liquid and 1/2 teaspoon of Isopropyl Alcohol. This is what they told me to use and I used. It shouldn’t hurt your car, but if your nervous about the Alcohol then don’t use it I don’t think it’ll matter, but ill warn you I did it with Alcohol and that worked.Water or alcohol to wipe the area clean that you’re going to place your stripe on. I used alcohol the first time (the screw up time) and I used water the second time (the time it worked) so id just stick with water.A tarp or a soft blanket to put your vinyl stripes you’re not using on.An exacto knife or box cutter to get rid of excess vinyl or in some cases cutting out the whole for brake light.Scissors to cut the stripes with. [/align]11. The vinyl stripes of course, you can get them from[align=left] [/align]www.colebrothers.com -got mine here[align=left] [/align]www.baltimorestreetmods.com –Hear they have good customer service[align=left] [/align]www.bobwhitedecals.com –From what I understand they sell them[align=left] [/align]12. Maybe a picture of a car like yours that’s been striped the way you want.[align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align]1 major tip before I go on to step by step instruction. If it’s rainy or windy the day you want to apply the stripe, then don’t do it wait till tomorrow or a better day. Your friend not show up to help you? Or you don’t have anyone? Id suggests getting someone to help you because the long pieces are hard to do without a second person and ill explain later why.[align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align]Car prep- make sure the car is clean, id take the wax off before you put the stripe on again you prolly don’t have to but I think it sounds more reasonable. You can always put the wax back on. Before your do anything wipe the section your going to stripe with water or alcohol. I used water and I let it dry a bit, with alcohol idk prolly similar but maybe you should let it dry idk.[align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align]Step 1 the measuring- One thing you have to do is measure the area you’re going to putting the stripe on, I consider this the most annoying part. Basically this is where you’ll use the grease pin, you need to measure at least 2 bench marks, your going to wanna measure the width of the hood in two different places(cause of the curve of the hood one wont be enough) measure the width of the lower part of the hood and the upper area of the hood. You’re looking for the middle of these measurements, once you think you got the middle mark it with your grease pin. Too see if there straight take the tape measure and measure the middle to the end on one side and then the other, if you got what you originally measure then your good. As for measuring other parts of car do the same I found the hood to be the most annoying.[align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align]Step 1 part 2: Take your string and stretch it on the hood over the pen marks. Make sure its right over the pen marks then have a friend tape the two areas to hold the string in a straight position.(this is very important) take a pretty good sized piece of tape (like the size of a quarter or more of the hood) and place over top of the string in the middle(to assure your putting it on straight mark the tape in the middle on a couple spots on the tape no just one, USE a measuring tape to get the middle of the tape.) and hopefully your tape is translucent and you’ll be able to see the string underneath place it straight on the string, anything but straight is not what you want, if you mess up do it again.[align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align]Step 2 applying the stripe- Ok, first get your solution ready and make sure you have all your tools ready. Cut the stripe to the length of the area you want it to cover, I usually cut it a little larger to have some slack to work with, (FYI I had the 10’’ x 36 stripes) so I had more to work with.[align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align]This part needs a quick step instruction.[align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align]1. take the backing of the stripe not the stripe off the backing(if you do oh well prolly nothing wrong, but from what I understand the backing of the stripe is a better way)[align=left] [/align]2. Spray it down the adhesive side with the solution.[align=left] [/align]3. You and a friend (yes someone) take the stripe carefully and place it on your hood, make sure it lines up with the tape IT HAS TOO, if it’s a little over the tape that’s fine it worked for me but if you’re a perfectionist just pick it up and try it again, you can do this as long as you want. When it’s lined up with the tape spray the top with the solution, yes all over the top don’t even miss a spot this is a crucial step![align=left] [/align]4. There’s going to be allsorts of bubbles and things going on atm, start at one end and pick up the stripe a little bit (not all the way you don’t wanna mess up your alignments with the tape) and hold it up and use a p
Old 01-15-2008, 10:54 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Default RE: Applying Vinyl Stripes

Nice write up!!! I'll look into getting a contributor tag for you...
Old 01-15-2008, 09:41 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Paint lasts forever!
Stickers are for little kids to play with.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:50 PM
Cryptostorm
2nd Gear Member

paint doesn't last forever... and is expensive when you need to get it redone...
Old 01-16-2008, 07:27 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Paint will last a lot longer than the "five years" the author claims.Paint won't leave dark area's where the stickers used to be when they crack and need to be removed.
Removing stickers might not be as easy as people think.I wouldn't know because I'd never put them on anything.
https://mustangforums.com/m_4243683/tm.htm

I stick by my original post.Get stripes and graphics painted on.Stickers are for little kids to play with!
Old 01-18-2008, 03:04 AM
Pnkhead
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chopper

Paint will last a lot longer than the "five years" the author claims.Paint won't leave dark area's where the stickers used to be when they crack and need to be removed.
Removing stickers might not be as easy as people think.I wouldn't know because I'd never put them on anything.
https://mustangforums.com/m_4243683/tm.htm

I stick by my original post.Get stripes and graphics painted on.Stickers are for little kids to play with!
It may last 5 years idk i have a hard time beliving that myself and im supporter, It dosent always leave dark areas i think that really depends on the conditions.

It may last 5 years idk I have a hard time believing that myself and im supporter, It doesn’t always leave dark areas I think that really depends on the conditions.

I’m not against painting it (I know, you never said I was just saying :P) by all means do it. But...50 dollars vs. something’s that’s well over 500+ and will have to be painted over to have it back to the original color if you get tired of it is a big risk for me(although id do it anyways IF I had the money). I wanted to paint mine on at first and if i had the money i would! id love that but i don’t.

Vinyl has a lot of pros and a lot of cons.

Paint has pros and cons too.

I do see were your coming from, painting is better if you want permanent flawless stripes, but it does cost and ill easily admit its worth it. I’m still flabbergasted that professionals charge 300 or 69/h for vinyl stripes(even though its high risk).
Old 01-20-2008, 11:28 AM
mustangmatt63
3rd Gear Member

Great Write up!!It will definitely come in handy when I am doing mine!!Everyone has different opinions on this but with the Vinyl you are not out a fortune if something goes wrong!I have seen people pay high$ for painted stripes that did not look any better than the vinyl and they weren't even Straight!
Old 01-21-2008, 04:42 AM
Pnkhead
2nd Gear Member

WOW someone painted for stripes and they wernt straight?! Id be angry! Thanks btw and if you have any questions please pm me!
Old 05-22-2013, 09:31 AM
cyp66stang

Default 66 stripe prob at license plates

Having problems getting stripes smooth at the license plate area. Any suggestions?

Originally Posted by Pnkhead
Applying Vinyl Stripes[align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align]This guide will teach you the basics to apply vinyl stripes to your car. I will tell you step by step and what you need. [align=left] [/align]DISCLAIMER: This is the way that worked for me and if you have a better way or another way please continue doing it. This is just for people that have no idea or need help on a certain part. Also this is a high risk thing, prepare for the worse.[align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align]ANOTHER DISCLAIMER: Your stripes might not turn out perfect and they prolly won’t. What I mean is all the bubbles might not go away and there maybe will be a crease(that’s the worse that can happen and I hope it wont happen)I had a few bubbles and one crease on the end of the trunk lid on mine. Are they noticeable? Not really, you can’t see them unless you stick your face up to the stripe which you wouldn’t do. Prolly 8/10 or even 9/10 people wont notice unless you tell them or there trying to find them or just happen to see your stripe really close depending how many bubbles there are. You’ve seen the pictures of mine can you see them? Second thought it could even be 10/10 that wouldn’t notice.[align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align]Materials[align=left] [/align][align=left] Measuring tape and string(like a spool of string)Some sort of safe tape, I used masking tape and I thought it ruined my paint but I just checked and I think everything’s ok there’s a questionable spot that may have been done by the tape so be careful on which tape you use! Also take the tape off as soon as you can. BTW my car is decently old (old as sn95s go) So if my paint can take it im sure yours can just be careful and put it on lightly but not to lightly. (DO NOT use duck tape or any super strong tape). IMO id buy same safer tape than use masking tape. Good thing about tape is it can come in different sizes so if you want 2’’ spacing get 2’’ spacing.Grease pen, you can make marks on your car and it’ll wash off. I actually used a normal pen on a piece of tape, still works but more work and more tape on your car :O so maybe you shouldn’t do it that way.Paper towels, they are very helpful for the first run of getting it smooth and make a good cushion for the squeegee.A squeegee, hopefully your vinyl stripe maker gives you one, if they don’t; go to a local sign shop or a hardware store.A liquid solution made up of 20 ounces of water, 1/4 teaspoon of dishwashing liquid and 1/2 teaspoon of Isopropyl Alcohol. This is what they told me to use and I used. It shouldn’t hurt your car, but if your nervous about the Alcohol then don’t use it I don’t think it’ll matter, but ill warn you I did it with Alcohol and that worked.Water or alcohol to wipe the area clean that you’re going to place your stripe on. I used alcohol the first time (the screw up time) and I used water the second time (the time it worked) so id just stick with water.A tarp or a soft blanket to put your vinyl stripes you’re not using on.An exacto knife or box cutter to get rid of excess vinyl or in some cases cutting out the whole for brake light.Scissors to cut the stripes with. [/align]11. The vinyl stripes of course, you can get them from[align=left] [/align]www.colebrothers.com -got mine here[align=left] [/align]www.baltimorestreetmods.com –Hear they have good customer service[align=left] [/align]www.bobwhitedecals.com –From what I understand they sell them[align=left] [/align]12. Maybe a picture of a car like yours that’s been striped the way you want.[align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align]1 major tip before I go on to step by step instruction. If it’s rainy or windy the day you want to apply the stripe, then don’t do it wait till tomorrow or a better day. Your friend not show up to help you? Or you don’t have anyone? Id suggests getting someone to help you because the long pieces are hard to do without a second person and ill explain later why.[align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align]Car prep- make sure the car is clean, id take the wax off before you put the stripe on again you prolly don’t have to but I think it sounds more reasonable. You can always put the wax back on. Before your do anything wipe the section your going to stripe with water or alcohol. I used water and I let it dry a bit, with alcohol idk prolly similar but maybe you should let it dry idk.[align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align]Step 1 the measuring- One thing you have to do is measure the area you’re going to putting the stripe on, I consider this the most annoying part. Basically this is where you’ll use the grease pin, you need to measure at least 2 bench marks, your going to wanna measure the width of the hood in two different places(cause of the curve of the hood one wont be enough) measure the width of the lower part of the hood and the upper area of the hood. You’re looking for the middle of these measurements, once you think you got the middle mark it with your grease pin. Too see if there straight take the tape measure and measure the middle to the end on one side and then the other, if you got what you originally measure then your good. As for measuring other parts of car do the same I found the hood to be the most annoying.[align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align]Step 1 part 2: Take your string and stretch it on the hood over the pen marks. Make sure its right over the pen marks then have a friend tape the two areas to hold the string in a straight position.(this is very important) take a pretty good sized piece of tape (like the size of a quarter or more of the hood) and place over top of the string in the middle(to assure your putting it on straight mark the tape in the middle on a couple spots on the tape no just one, USE a measuring tape to get the middle of the tape.) and hopefully your tape is translucent and you’ll be able to see the string underneath place it straight on the string, anything but straight is not what you want, if you mess up do it again.[align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align]Step 2 applying the stripe- Ok, first get your solution ready and make sure you have all your tools ready. Cut the stripe to the length of the area you want it to cover, I usually cut it a little larger to have some slack to work with, (FYI I had the 10’’ x 36 stripes) so I had more to work with.[align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align]This part needs a quick step instruction.[align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align]1. take the backing of the stripe not the stripe off the backing(if you do oh well prolly nothing wrong, but from what I understand the backing of the stripe is a better way)[align=left] [/align]2. Spray it down the adhesive side with the solution.[align=left] [/align]3. You and a friend (yes someone) take the stripe carefully and place it on your hood, make sure it lines up with the tape IT HAS TOO, if it’s a little over the tape that’s fine it worked for me but if you’re a perfectionist just pick it up and try it again, you can do this as long as you want. When it’s lined up with the tape spray the top with the solution, yes all over the top don’t even miss a spot this is a crucial step![align=left] [/align]4. There’s going to be allsorts of bubbles and things going on atm, start at one end and pick up the stripe a little bit (not all the way you don’t wanna mess up your alignments with the tape) and hold it up and use a p
Old 05-22-2013, 10:21 AM
darkcangri

Thanx for the write up

Quick Reply: Applying Vinyl Stripes