General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fuzz Busters

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 04:00 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sransari
Hilarious...actually what you're saying is the complete OPPOSITE of reality. From wikipedia:

"Contrary to popular belief LIDAR does not suffer from “sweep” error when the operator uses the equipment correctly and when the LIDAR unit is equipped with algorithms that are able to detect when this has occurred. A combination of signal strength monitoring, receive gate timing, target position prediction and pre-filtering of the received signal wavelength prevents this from occurring. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LIDAR

The signal-strength monitoring is one of the give-aways for LIDAR that is picked up by a V1.
So basically, a jamming device will NOT work, but a V1 WILL alert in time. As far as the 500 feet rule goes, let's look at the actual LAW in Maryland (may the law is different in your state) directly from LexisNexis.com (you'll need a registered account to search for it, luckily my brother is a lawyer and has an account that I use):

Any "Law Enforcement Officer" must not engage in a "traffic stop" unless object evidence beyond a reasonable doubt can be produced at the time of the "traffic stop" or there is reasonable cause for the "traffic stop"... (basically saying a cop can't pull you over for no reason)

The law further continues to get specific about laser detection:

The device must be calibrated to the manufacturers specifications after each each use.
The device must show a speed in excess of the posted speed limit for a distance 500 FEET OR MORE

-----------------

So to answer your question, I get my information from the law books and from reputable sources such as wikipedia. It is unfortunate that a police officer is unaware of the law, which is why there are so many unlawful traffic tickets issued each and everyday.
Reputable sources such as wikipedia huh, I guess that trumps my knowledge of being a cop that is trained and uses a LIDAR gun every day. Have you ever used one??? Probably not, to be able to get a correct reading you must hit on the most reflective and flat surface of the vehicle (front license plate, headlight sometimes, front bumper sometimes). If you miss your intended spot it will read "sweep error" and if jammed it will constantly beep and never display a speed.

I'll give you your 500ft rule though. I guess that's just your state law. Some states judicial system require more evidence when using LIDAR than radar.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:12 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

One thing you did NOT post was your speed.

AND the speed limit where you were at.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:27 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

But while im here a minute, Ill let you in on lil secret.

Im doing 55, your doing 70/ same destination.

You gain a 2.7 mile advantage on me in 15 minutes of driving , yes 15 minutes.

You catch 3 Traffic lights and traffic which holds you back 4 mins, Im only a 1/2 mile behind you.

You get there like 3 mins before I do.

FUZZBUSTER IS OUTDATED GARBAGE, THEY ARE NOT IN EXISTANCE ANYMORE. Whisper mounted straight and level, not pointed at the sun, will alert you pretty well.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Ugh who cares...get a ticket, you deserve it plain and simple. I got one..guess what, I did deserve it. Hauling **** from a green light racing a friend. Photo finish, I won!

I would deserve one if I got one on my way home everyday as well. 75-80mph in a 65.

Last edited by Derf00; 09-02-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:34 AM
Phalanx8

The department I work for uses Kustom HR-12 radar guns. Our radar guns have a "hold" option that the radar is always on but not emitting a signal. There for, its like LIDAR that once I got you, I got you. We dont have a "500ft" rule here, although it does make sense to me. I prefer to use LIDAR, either a Kustom or a Stalker, because it is easier to pick out a specfic car. Even if the target car is behind another, I can still get it with ease. I have been to court a number of times for speeding tickets and have never lost. Basically if I can't prove my ticket or if there is any question, I wont even stop it.

At the department I work at, I got sent to a 4 day RADAR/LIDAR operator school and am certified throught the state to operate both, including testing them. When it comes down to it, after I stop someone, honesty is the best way. If someone says, "Yea I was going 20 over, its my mistake". It'll be a warning. If I get the old "I dont know" or "maybe 5 over" then its a ticket. I'v let some good speeds go because they were honest and I dont get anything extra for writing tickets (so it doesnt matter to me either way).
As for being rude to cops or saying bad things. Be smart, almost all squad cars have some kind of video/audio recording systems and when you go to trial for your ticket. Guess whats going to be played.

Fuzz busters are a waste of money and hassle. Be smart and be safe. Going 20 over in a popluated area is asking for problems. Going 20 over with corn fields on both sides of the road is fun.

On my department, there are no quotas, some guys write 3 tickets a month, some write 50. I usually go for 20. Like I said, I dont get anything extra for writing more tickets, it just means more work.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:27 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Talking

Alot of cities grant the city officers extra $$ for tickets, even though they deny it, already confirmed by a Captain.

Our State give the State Troopers Recongnition, not bonuses, but thats their main job - the road, so a State Trooper usually will never give warnings and will show up to court.

However, you must be going more than 10 mph over the speed limit to get a ticket here.

I have been clocked 8-9 miles over on the highway for years, no ticket.

But smaller juristitions that depend on traffic citations for its survival, roads, etc, will usually issue more tickets but cut a BETTER DEAL IN COURT, IF YOU PAY MORE MONEY.

Something the state troopers have been hitting hard on are, SEAT BELTS, FRONT LICENSE PLATES, WINDOW TINT, NOISE, LIGHT BULBS, NEON LIGHTS, COMMERCIAL EQUIPMENT VIOLATIONS.

Those tickets WILL cost at least $104.00, go to court for a deal $154.00 min.

Pay that day- No Points

So, the justice system is somewhat reasonable to screwups like myself : ) P
Old 09-04-2008, 02:11 AM
Phalanx8

Yea we have alot of speeding problems here. I wont even stop unless its at least 15 over or more. At that point if the driver has a prior record, then its ticket time. 10 over is a waste of time because everyone goes at least 10 over.

Totally argree that there is a "cash register" style of justice. Our system is the samy way that if you bump up the fine, the penality goes way down with no points. Its unfair that if you have the money, you can get out of anything. I know when I was in highschool, I got screwed because I didnt have money to spend of fines. Thats why I am fair when people are honest with me and they usually get a warning. We already have pricy tickets anyway.

Speeding:
Between 11-15 over: $160 and 4 points
Between 16-19 over: $186 and 4 points
Between 20-24 over: $211 and 6 points
Between 25-29 over: $285 and 6 points

If I pace a car and can't get a accurate speed we can write a ticket for "Unreasonable Speed" which is $198 and 4 points. Its basically a "I know you were speeding, just cant prove how fast".

Last edited by Phalanx8; 09-04-2008 at 02:14 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:35 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Yea some of the $$$ justice systems just bug me. Photo radar has to be the biggest stupid cash cow ever, here in Toronto Ontario Canada they "tried it out" for a couple years, collected $$$ millions, then abandoned it because it wasn't found to be making the roads much safer. Even cops didn't like it because photo radar doesn't nail tailgaters, bad lane changers, drunks, etc. The biggest problem is no demerit points are issued with a photo radar ticket, because it doesn't positively ID who was driving the car. It's funny that even though many other cities "tried and abandoned" photo radar, Toronto still decided it needed to to it's own testing [rolleyes] obviously just to create some quick revenue.

On the other hand, IMO red light cameras are a great idea. I have NO sympathy for idiots who run a red light. Make the fine a BIG one!
Old 09-04-2008, 07:13 AM
Misbehavin
2nd Gear Member

On the other hand, IMO red light cameras are a great idea. I have NO sympathy for idiots who run a red light. Make the fine a BIG one!
I don't care for people who run red lights either, but I don't see how one can support photo based tickets for one case but not the other. After all, neither positively identify the driver.

IMO for the state to issue a citation, you should be physically stopped. Not simply receive something in the mail days after the fact.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:39 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Misbehavin
I don't care for people who run red lights either, but I don't see how one can support photo based tickets for one case but not the other. After all, neither positively identify the driver.

IMO for the state to issue a citation, you should be physically stopped. Not simply receive something in the mail days after the fact.
You're right about that, it is a bit of a contradiction. But too many people were being killed or injured at intersections because of red light runners. Sure it'd be great if an actual COP was deployed 24/7 at each intersection that red light cameras currently exist, but of course that'd be impractical & for the majority of the time a wasted use of a cop. Hmm,, well if they can't issue demit points for the "driver" perhaps after 3-or-more redlight tickets they should impound the offending "car" for a few weeks, how about that?

Quick Reply: Fuzz Busters