General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil and Oil Filter Brands....

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 01:33 PM
dreamer1uk
3rd Gear Member

Default Oil and Oil Filter Brands....

Hi all,

Im just wondering what you all prefer when it comes to choosing motor oil and filters and why you stick with a certain brand.

Do you guys use branded oil and filter like Mobil 1 because of the name? or do you just pay a few bucks for a no name brand like Valuecraft if the oil is API certified?

Discuss
Old 11-12-2008, 01:52 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

motorcraft filter and syn blend oil 530, in my f350 i run a napa gold filter with just 1540 dino oil
Old 11-12-2008, 02:16 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

I use Q Horsepower or Pennzoil Full syn. The reason i stick between the two is because of the R&D that goes into the oil. I pay more, but I also get more. I use Fram filters because...well I always have. Also, on the frams I love the textured bottom that allows me to grip the filter to get it off. Of course, it doesn't really matter with conventional oil. I would still use Castrol or Pennzoil, but I have used Exxon and Valucraft in my other vehicles and they have never let me down.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

While I do have preferences on oil brands and filter brands. I even use different brands in my different cars. Fact is if you are concerned with protection and life of your engine. It will benefit most from regular change intervals.

Drain it warm, pre fill your filter and drive easy until the engine is fully warmed up.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:32 PM
inyadreems
2nd Gear Member

I use Pennzoil Platinum Full syn. and Purolator Pure One Gold filters. I just did an oil change about a week ago and noticed that the engine is quieter on start up and when idling. I previously had a Motorcraft filter and Ford syn blend oil.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:07 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

I use royle purple with mobile 1 filter in the stang and valvoline with motorcraft filter in the vic.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:16 PM
dreamer1uk
3rd Gear Member

Hi,

The input in this thread is really interesting.

Do you guys recomend going from a conventional to a full synthetic in a higher mileage vehicle?
Old 11-12-2008, 09:02 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlueBloodedPony
I use Q Horsepower or Pennzoil Full syn. The reason i stick between the two is because of the R&D that goes into the oil. I pay more, but I also get more. I use Fram filters because...well I always have. Also, on the frams I love the textured bottom that allows me to grip the filter to get it off. Of course, it doesn't really matter with conventional oil. I would still use Castrol or Pennzoil, but I have used Exxon and Valucraft in my other vehicles and they have never let me down.
congrats, you use two of the worst products available, pennzoil/Q is a waxed base forumula which causes sludge and buildup, and fram filters are complete junk

use whatever the manufacture recomends, 97+ fords is syn blend
Old 11-12-2008, 11:00 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

I run Supertech 10w-30 Full synthetic and a Supertech filter in the old Slobra.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:37 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Originally Posted by mustangman02232
congrats, you use two of the worst products available, pennzoil/Q is a waxed base forumula which causes sludge and buildup, and fram filters are complete junk

use whatever the manufacture recomends, 97+ fords is syn blend
Then what do you use? If your stuff is soooo great then please share with the rest of us. And for the love of God don't say you use Motorcraft syn blend with a MC filter.

Quick Reply: Oil and Oil Filter Brands....