General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

used or home made n2o kits safe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 02:09 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Default used or home made n2o kits safe?

i was wondering if it is safe to make your own n2o kit (i.e. buy the solinoids, bottle, sprayer/fogger, lines, etc separately) or to buy a used n2o kit from some one. its seems that a kit is little more then listed above just all the parts come in one box. yes i know its a good idea to have it dyno tuned after installed, thats not what im asking. basically is it safe to use used solinoids or sprayers? i was thinking of running a 50-75 shot and its easy to get used kits around here.

also, APROX. how long will a 75 shot last, in seconds, say if you had a perfectly straight area to run and you hit the n2o and stayed on it till the bottle ran dry? 10lbs bottle
Old 06-10-2005, 12:50 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: used or home made n2o kits safe?

No problem using a used kit as long as everything appears undamaged.

Make your own?? Do you really think you can cobble all that stuff together & mill a spray plate for less money than a used kit? Doubtful.

Chances are you might not blow yourself up with a homemade nitrous system, but the endresult will be rough, and probably won't get optimum power from it.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:32 PM
C/Note
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: luckythirteen13

i was wondering if it is safe to make your own n2o kit (i.e. buy the solinoids, bottle, sprayer/fogger, lines, etc separately) or to buy a used n2o kit from some one. its seems that a kit is little more then listed above just all the parts come in one box. yes i know its a good idea to have it dyno tuned after installed, thats not what im asking. basically is it safe to use used solinoids or sprayers? i was thinking of running a 50-75 shot and its easy to get used kits around here.

also, APROX. how long will a 75 shot last, in seconds, say if you had a perfectly straight area to run and you hit the n2o and stayed on it till the bottle ran dry? 10lbs bottle
about 120 seconds
Old 06-10-2005, 02:00 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

you better REALLY know your stuff if you plan on making a nitrous system, that's all I have to say about that.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:21 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

Buy the kit your gonna waste time and money!
Old 06-10-2005, 05:41 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

when i said make my own kit, i didnt mean actually fabricate the parts. i meant is it safe to buy the solinoids say from one place, then the spray from another place, the bottle from a third place and then get the lines from a local place. greystang, hell no i dont think i can mill anything. i meant buy the parts separately.

thanks nos for the estimate.

how do i find a place that will fill the bottle. i looked up the local welding supply place and they sell nitrous and they sell oxygen and they said they will mix them at any ratio you want but they dont sell n2o....im confused. is two parts nitrous and one part oxygen different from n2o you run in your car?
im going to do a compression test and if its good im getting a cam and maybe a 75 shot but i cant afford a new kit for $550ish so i was asking about the used kits or putting the parts together myself.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:46 PM
C/Note
I ♥ Acer

never make a home made kit....bad idea..
Old 06-10-2005, 05:55 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: luckythirteen13

when i said make my own kit, i didnt mean actually fabricate the parts. i meant is it safe to buy the solinoids say from one place, then the spray from another place, the bottle from a third place and then get the lines from a local place. greystang, hell no i dont think i can mill anything. i meant buy the parts separately.

thanks nos for the estimate.

how do i find a place that will fill the bottle. i looked up the local welding supply place and they sell nitrous and they sell oxygen and they said they will mix them at any ratio you want but they dont sell n2o....im confused. is two parts nitrous and one part oxygen different from n2o you run in your car?
im going to do a compression test and if its good im getting a cam and maybe a 75 shot but i cant afford a new kit for $550ish so i was asking about the used kits or putting the parts together myself.
Nitrous Oxide is 2 parts nitrogen and 1 part oxygen, but you can just find a performance shop they all fill bottles. If you do buy a used kit I would at least rebuild the solinoids, the rebuild kit is cheap and then you basicly have new solinoids.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:03 PM
C/Note
I ♥ Acer

i got nos cheater kit ..150/250 hp .make sure you get a bottle pressure gauge to montor psi or you will be pissing in the wind....
Old 06-10-2005, 09:03 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

its called nitrous oxyde but what two elements are actually in there? nitrogen and oxy? is nitrous actually a gas or is that just the name n2o is given?

Quick Reply: used or home made n2o kits safe?