General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

V6 or V8 for Daughter's First Car

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 09:15 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

Default RE: V6 or V8 for Daughter's First Car

p-zero:in 94 they were so gutless they couldnt turn the tires over on dry pavement (dumping the clutch at 5k).
have u drove one? my 95 i barely have to get on it and i can eat the tires off the car

anyways with the topic i would get her the v6 its easier on gas and as high as gas it getting it will be a lot easier on a 16yrs old budget. i would worry more about the boyfriends driving the car then her cause you know since its a mustang there going to rod it whether its a 6 or a v8
Old 07-09-2005, 11:14 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

To those of you who have mentioned the fact that the boyfriend may be the one to look out for, you are absolutely correct. I let a her previous boyfriend drive my GT once and he burned out on it as soon as he got in the seat. I was ready to knock his block off and told him so because I was in the car too. Needless to say, he never drove my car again.

You all give sound advice. I truly appreciate it because you think of things that I don't. Maybe I should make it a rule no body but her drives it, but then, since when do kids listen? Especially when they make the payments.

Regarding the gas mileage, right now I wish I was driving a 6? Gas is $2.14 and just put in $18 into my tank. Agggghh!

Keep the opinions coming.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:47 PM
ryan1994mustang
4th Gear Member

i say that if you can find her a nice v6 then get that, if not stick with a 94-95 gt. they are some of the slowest v8 mustangs made, but they still have some decent power. the thing with a v6, that is what everyone gets their kids as a first car, and they rag it out and dont take care of them. that is why most of the ones you find are POS's. Just make her pay for the car, insurance, and all the other costs that go along with owning the car and she will respect it a whole lot more than if you just made her pay for the gas or something. I'm 17, with a 94 gt vert and i had to pay for half of the car, and everything else to do with my car(gas, ins., maint., mods). needless to say, my car is in perfect condition, noone else drives it, and i very rarely drive too wild in it all because i know that if something screws up then it is me paying for it. Alot of these kids at my school get these nice, new cars and trucks and they drive the hell out of them, after a few years they aren't worth crap, because their parents paid for it all, so they could have cared less what happened to it. And like alot of others were saying, if she feels like driving crazy, then she will do it in any car she is in, wether it be a mustang gt or a 80's model 4cyl toyota. Oh yes, make sure to watch out for her friends driving it too. it isnt theirs, they dont care if it breaks.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:42 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

Believe me, she is going to pay for EVERYTHING that's involved with the future car. I never got anything for free when I was a kid. I currently have a Honda and a Mustang. The Mustang was a luxury item for me so I pay for all the maintenance, insurance, etc. out of my paycheck. That was the deal I made with my husband because he didn't think we needed another car.

I agree with you 100% that if my daughter pays for it, she'll realize the value of the car and the cost of having one. Gas, oil changes, etc., she will pay for because it's part of the ownership of a car. It isn't all that glamorous after all.

We are still looking for the right one. It took me 6 months for mine so I expect it to take her that long as well. By that time, maybe she'll have 1/4 to 1/2 of it saved up.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:41 PM
Allstar
5th Gear Member

heres my situation... ever since i seen a mustangive wanted one probably when i was 5 or 6. I refused to get any other car then a mustang especially as my first. So my parents agreed and wth my money i bought the car you see in my sig, its in excellent condition engine has been taken care of although it is a 2.3l 4cyl i was happy with it at the time. I'm a guy so insurance at my age heh i wish i could play lotto put it that way. For my 4 cyl it will be more for me then her having a GT v8 just to put that into perspective i also live in NY where you can get your liscence at 17 if you have taken and passed drivers ed so i'll have my full liscence n a month. Now i've driving and learned on 2 mini vans.. o how fun so driving a mustang is what i wanted to do at the time it was to drive with that name "MUSTANG" ya know but now its for the name and the power haha. Insurance in NY is also really high but i'm not sure what state your in but my parents are going to pay half for my insurance its about 3 grand... for a 4cyl a year. I think the v8 can be safer in some situations, the v6's arn't that slow when you compare it to most other cars on the road.. but the v8 really i dont think its too big of a deal other then your daughter having a faster car then you lol. Which would be funny but i know i wouldn't want that.. but also girls are alot less likely to be the speed demons guys are unless shes a car freak lie alot of guys. But I know she would be more happy with the GT because that will probably be the same feeling i have wanting the 5.0, but im looking into the conversion soo its almost like buying another car haha. Honestly if you find a nice GT in the price range you have set go for it. Also consider one of the newer v6's becuase of saftey options will lower insurance, airbags anti lock brakes, automatic running lights, etc. and then just compare from there... But i wish you luck either way i know she'll be happy
Old 07-11-2005, 02:26 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

I appreciate your story. Nothing so far has been decided. On Autotrader the prices go up and down -- no pattern whatsoever. Some V6s cost more than a V8, but so far they all are to far to look at or they are out of our price range.

I have about a year to figure something out and she's still saving, but when we find a good deal we will jump on it whether it's a V8 or V6. Sometimes something is too good to pass up, even if it's not what you envisioned.

I was looking for a red convertible with a black top but ended up with a triple black one. The only thing I am unhappy with is that it has to be washed so often and I ABSOLUTELY HATE washing cars. It was selling $3,000 below blue book so we took it. I still kinda wish it was red, but I could repaint it sometime down the line. I wonder if it would affect the resale value if I did.