General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Starting car after few years of sitting...tips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 05:14 AM
ryan0007

Default Starting car after few years of sitting...tips?

Hi all,

I have an 83 GT 5.0 that has been sitting for a couple years. Just wondering any tips you might have to get her goin again. I already figure on changing the oil and draining all the gas. Is there an easy way to clean the carb/injectors? I was planning on dropping a lot of oil into the cylinders and let it sit for a while before i cranked it over. Then change to new plugs. Any tips, please let me know.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 07-07-2005, 06:01 AM
UhadMEatGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Starting car after few years of sitting...tips?

What you said + replace the fuel filter after you drain the gas and then add new gas.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:10 AM
DaGGer
4th Gear Member

your probably going to want to check the plug wires and distributor just to make sure that nothings rotted....also make sure that no little animals have made homes in your engine
Old 07-07-2005, 02:42 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Yea good idea to dump some oil into the cylinders first. I would recommend too the first time you turn the engine over with the sparkplugs out so to let the oil coat the cylinder walls & not just goo up the plugs.

Check your brake fluid and your rotors/drums, they're probably got a nice rust layer on them.

And get fresh gas into it ASAP. Siphon out whatever is in the tank now and put in fresh stuff, along with some injector cleaner.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:07 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GreyStang

Yea good idea to dump some oil into the cylinders first. I would recommend too the first time you turn the engine over with the sparkplugs out so to let the oil coat the cylinder walls & not just goo up the plugs.

Check your brake fluid and your rotors/drums, they're probably got a nice rust layer on them.

And get fresh gas into it ASAP. Siphon out whatever is in the tank now and put in fresh stuff, along with some injector cleaner.
I dont think your gonna find injecters on a 83 gt.But just dump some mystery oil in the carb and fire it up should be fine if it ran when you stuck it there.Ever see the American hotrod with the crazy horse stang,was sitting in a barn for 20 years and fired right up.I would worry about anything just throw some jumpers on it and fire it up
Old 07-07-2005, 05:33 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

I would change any/all fluids in the vehicle because they are probably all gunky. Actually, I would check everything.!!
Old 07-07-2005, 05:34 PM
ryan0007

Awesome thanks for the tips guys. Also just wondering if it would be worth pulling the carb and trying to figure out how to clean it, wouldnt it get a sludgy in there, like my 2-stroke dirt bike? I dont know very much about car carbs, they might be different.

Thanks again,
Ryan
Old 07-07-2005, 09:01 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99saleen351r

I dont think your gonna find injecters on a 83 gt.
Doh yeah you're right. Sorry, hada brain fart. I was actually gonna say carb cleaner in the first place lol

Yeah Ryan if you're gonna start using this car as a daily driver then going through the carb etc needs to be done. How well was it stored in the first place?
Old 07-07-2005, 09:49 PM
ryan0007

Ive had the car for about 8yrs now, and its been a project ever since, just about every part on its been replaced, its been sitting for a about 3yrs now and i do remember putting some fuel stabalizer in it before she went away, but thats about it. I dont think its been sitting long enough to seize itself, but i guess we'll find out on fri/sat when i plan on reviving her. As for her becoming a daily driver, i cant see it anymore this year, but id like to have her in tip top shape for next spring.

Thanks All,
Ryan
Old 07-08-2005, 11:15 PM
86gt5.0HO
2nd Gear Member

That american hotrod crazyhorse stang was totally set-up. A car that has sat in a barn for that long will never start right up. When they showed it on the truck the rotors were nice and shiney. A car that had sat that long would not have shiney rotors.

Quick Reply: Starting car after few years of sitting...tips?