General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Purchasing a Torque Wrench: Which brand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 11:35 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Question Purchasing a Torque Wrench: Which brand?

So I need to buy a Torque Wrench. I don't plan on using it much (otherwise I'd spring the money for the likes of Snap-On brand or similar.)

Ideally I'd like it to torque in the range of 10 ft. lbs. to 150 ft. lbs.

Without spending the proverbial arm & leg for a professional grade one, who would you give your money to?

3 common "consumer" grade brands come to mind:

1) Kobalt (Lowes brand)
2) Husky (Home Depot brand)
3) Craftsman (Sears brand)

I've heard the good and not so good about all 3.

What say you folks? (With the recommendations not limited to the above 3 big-box store brands.)

I already own a Craftsman MicroTork Torque wrench, but it is limited in range from 20 in. lbs. to 250 in. lbs. The locking ring is kinda cheap, but I don't use it often though.

Thank you.

(Hope this is the proper area to post this question.)

Last edited by 7up; 10-18-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:00 AM
Improvisedtech

I have only used the Craftsman TW so here is my bias review. The craftsman TW did great for me when i was redoing my rear end. no problems,and good enough to tighten up my ring gear, diff etc. But i do know a sears associate so i would have no trouble replacing it if it was to ever break.

So from me, the craftsman got the job done.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:14 AM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

They are all good for the average guy. Snap-On is as good as it gets but unless you are making your living as a mechanic, there is absolutely no reason to spend the money for it. Kobalt and Husky are actually made by the same company which also makes Blue-Point (Snap-On's cheape brand). The problem with buying one from one the retail store type places is that some douchebag has usually left them cranked down and they need to be recalibrated before they should even be used. If you can find one that hasn't been messed with, I say go for any of the three.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:09 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

I've used a "beam type" Craftsman for years and haven't pulled any threads with it.
Calibration consists of bending the pointer to zero before use.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:12 AM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

I have a CDI torque wrench that I got from my grandfather and it works good for me.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:01 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Thanx for the input people.

After a bit of reading and researching, it seems the safest way to go if I want a Torque Wrench on the cheap is the beam type. And since Craftsman is the only local big-box store brand that still carries one 'round my parts, I'll pick one up for about $30.

I could get a click type for not much more, but then I'd worry about calibration; and unless you spend that extra dime, the cheaper click type T.W. are just that: cheap. (I know, I have one -- and while it works, I'm not too happy with the locking mechanism, its readibility under low light, etc.)

Besides, I only plan on using this one in upright, easy to read places. (But isn't that always the case: buy a tool for one purpose, and down the road you want it for a different application. Decisions decisions ...)

Last edited by 7up; 09-22-2009 at 08:00 PM. Reason: spelling, grammar, ...
Old 09-22-2009, 09:21 PM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rdsx18
I have a CDI torque wrench that I got from my grandfather and it works good for me.
CDI makes very good torque wrenches.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:34 PM
RobertJ
2nd Gear Member

Be patient with Craftsman as you can usually get them at 50% off if you wait for a sale.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:53 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

I got some cheep one from auto zone and it did the job on my friends lt1 Camaro heads. Kept the setting the entire time, easy to read and I think I only paid $40 for it. It comes in packaging so you know some asswipe didnt **** it up, and its cheep.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:31 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

I've decided on a CDI brand torque wrench (best buy for the money v. quality ratio, IMO) -- and notice they have a Flex-Head version.

(1) Are there any significant compromises in accuracy with this type of head?

(2) How often does anyone wish they had a flexible head when using their torque wrench?

They're about $20 extra for the Flex-Head version - so I'm not totally sold on it.

Yea or Nay -- opinions on my above 2 issues please? Thx.

Last edited by 7up; 10-03-2009 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Clarity...

Quick Reply: Purchasing a Torque Wrench: Which brand?