General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Paseo..?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

Default Paseo..?

Ok guys before i get flamed for talkin about a non mustang related car let me just say thanks because id do the same but watha heck.! I just bought this 92 paseo (gas saver) for $400 bucks... i will post piks later.

Problem- does not pass cali smog. No C/I light ever (but does work as it lights up before i turn car on) previous owner gave me a print out of the smog that didnt pass so if there is a way you guys can help me diagnose my problem with it, it would great. I was told by a mechanic that saw this car say that the catalytic converter was bad..? Previous owner says he was told it was his egr when he did the failed smog.? I just dont wanna throw money away on such a cheap car but wouldnt the egr valve make the C/I light turn on..? I know that this car is too old and the C/I light does not turn on when cats are bad. HELP ME
Old 12-13-2012, 08:13 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

There may be some inactive codes stored in the ECM. Perhaps you can take it to a parts store and have the codes pulled, maybe help narrow it down some? At this point it really could be anything.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:30 PM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

dang.., guess im going to become a member of toyotanation.com just for the 1 question.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:51 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

It may not have hard codes stored but it may have event codes stored. It could help. Or join toyotanation...There isn't enough information here for anything more than a guess. If you believe the mechanic you saw, change the cat and see if it fixes it. Do you have a copy of the smog report? Don't mean to sound nasty here but there isn't enough info in your op.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:22 PM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stevednmc
It may not have hard codes stored but it may have event codes stored. It could help. Or join toyotanation...There isn't enough information here for anything more than a guess. If you believe the mechanic you saw, change the cat and see if it fixes it. Do you have a copy of the smog report? Don't mean to sound nasty here but there isn't enough info in your op.
Sorry about the not enough info! Yes i do have the print out from the smog shop. I thought i would ask because i know that the print out of the smog can help diagnose or help finding the issue. Just let me know what numbers are needed to help out if possible. Thanks!