General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

mustangs bad for winter driving?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Southern Stang 722
2nd Gear Member

It's all in the right foot and the wheel in your hands . Get those to work together flawlessly and you will have no problem in snow and ice.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:24 AM
sadface
2nd Gear Member

my first car was a 1990 lx in highschool in dutchess county NY, bald all season tires and inexperience i wised up quick. i cant think of a better way to teach some one to drive a car in bad weather then giving him something not really meant to handle it and seeing how and what he does with it. i went sideways alot but never hit anything even in very heavy snow.

now down here in NC i laugh when i see people tearing at the mention of snow when 85% drive 4x4 trucks i mean comon its a dusting
Old 12-02-2009, 11:01 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

AWD > FWD > RWD for the snow IMO.

An auto kinda blows for the snow. It makes it harder to rock the car if you're stuck and trying to get out.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:58 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Our Civic sucked in the snow, I hate that thing. I will take one of our Mustangs any day for the snow if its down to the two of them.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Snow in Sacramento?
Old 12-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Chasev27

on your headers what midpipe do you have sliverngray?
Old 12-02-2009, 05:14 PM
thunderhorse
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LittleMisses
Great advice everyone! I honestly, truly appreciate it. I am still undecided but you all have cleared up some of my misconceptions and given me much to think about. I have seen some good deals on mustangs that include snow tires and am excited to take it for a test drive! I'll be ready to purchase within the next couple of weeks but plan on taking my time choosing..my 2nd choice was a ford escape or explorer..soo i'll have much debating to do! Once again thanks everyone!
I have 4 snow tires for a 17 inch rim (stock GT size from 99-04) if you're interested. They're 245/45/17s with about 70% tread left. I wanna get rid of em and I'd part with them for pretty cheap!

Like everyone is saying, snow tires are a must. My mustang, before I modified it, was used all year round in Buffalo, a city famous for the amounts of snow it gets. Obviously it won't work too well with a lot of snowfall (1ft plus on roads), but if your area is generally plowed it should be just fine!
Old 12-02-2009, 05:55 PM
dbraniff

Winter tires are always a help! But good all-season tires work too. I prefer stick more in the winter as I can choose what gears I am in, I only drive the V6, but with a full tank of gas when it snows.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:41 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Hey I drive my GT all year 'round and we get HEAVY winters here too Yup 4 SNOW tires makes all the difference.

.. and my car's a VERT too!
Old 12-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Robobble
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GreyStang
Hey I drive my GT all year 'round and we get HEAVY winters here too Yup 4 SNOW tires makes all the difference.

.. and my car's a VERT too!
the snow/ice doesn't f with the top? I'm thinking about all the times I had 1/4" of ice on my car, but at the same time, Ford can't expect everyone with a vert to cover it up every winter.

Quick Reply: mustangs bad for winter driving?