General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Exhaust Tips

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 12:11 AM
stngman00
2nd Gear Member

Default Exhaust Tips

What I am about to say is going to sound dumb, because it sounds dumb to me. But I need to find out something. When I bought my car it had dual exhaust already but whoever had it also put tips on the end. I just never felt like taking them off until the other day (I mean it didn't look to bad having them on there). Well the other day I took them off to clean them and after I took them off I realized how much better it looked having them off, and I looked at the tips and they look to me like they were just there for looks. I know that some tips are just looks and some change the pitch of the sound.

Well after I took the tips off I started my car to see if it sounded any different. Well at idle and cruising speed it sounds like the tone has gotten a bit deeper. Well two questions. First I thought tips would make the sound deeper not softer, so why is it now it sounds like the tone is deeper with the tips off? Second between 600 and 800 rpms I have a rattle in my car now, and I know this is going to sound like I am a grandma and complaining about everything but It didn't start until after I took the tips off. And the rattle is comming from the exhaust I can tell. So what do you guys and girls think could cause this problem? Thanks for all of your help. And by the way my car is a 2000 V6 Automatic.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 07-27-2005, 01:13 AM
86gt5.0HO
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust Tips

First off, the sound is proly deeper sounding cause the exhaust exits more under the car without the tips. And as far as the rattle goes, check the heat shields on the cats.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:15 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Heya, hows it going?

Now that rattle can be a couple things, it could be your hanger just rattleing a little now that it isnt holding a tip up or because the tip isnt on the hanger then the tube is hitting the top of the car or the rear end. Now do you have two muffler or was it just a Y-Pipe after the one muffler? Or did the do it right and go from the first two cats back with true duals?

It would makes sense to me that it would make the car sound deeper if you have true duals and took it off at the muffler or just after, otherwise i couldnt see just taking 18" +/- long tips off.

To make that exhaust really come alive you need a Borla off road X-Pipe with series 40 flows 2 chambers and either dumps or 3" tips after the 2 3/4" exhaust. Also long tube headers are a huge plus, shorties really dont do **** for power or sound but long tube really help alot in power and sound and fuel economy of all things. A new set of underdrive, a Cold air and a larger TB will make your car really happy with an estimated 240hp in just those mods.

Welp good luck with that, you have a good car to mod, for some awesome mods check out www.supersixmotorsports.com

-Eric-
Old 07-28-2005, 12:46 AM
stngman00
2nd Gear Member

I might need to explain this a little bit more. The tips I took off were tips you would go buy from an auto store not something that was already on the exhaust stystem. So there was no hanger holding them up or anything. Now for the noise, I will describe it a little bit better and maybe then somebody can explain to me what it might be. The noise happens between 600-800 rpms. It happens when I just tap the guess and hit those rpms, it happens when I brake and then hit them and it happens when I am cruising slowly at those rmps. Once I go under or above them, the noise stops. Now to better explain the noise its self. It's not a rattle like it's comming from the heat shield because I've heard that noise and this isen't it. It sounds like I have a system and when I hit those rpms is when a low bass noise comes in and shakes the car. That's how low the noise is, and it does shake the car a little bit. That's the best way I can describe it. And thanks for any help ahead of time. I might take it to a muffler shop on Friday if nobody can help me before then.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 07-28-2005, 03:57 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Ok then, its just the flows working their magic. Flowmaster series 40's have a drone that can occur at low rpms and mid rpm at about 1800-2200 and its like a low bass noise too that can rumble your car. Oh also, I dont know where you car rides on the tech when cruising on the freeway because your an auto, but thats where my drone happens, at really low rpms just cruising on the freeway (Im a manual.)

Heheh, just try a set of Raptors on a heavily modified 70' Chevelle with a Big block 396 in it pushin out 600 ponies! OH YEAH!!! But anyways, eherm, thats what it could be

-Eric-
Old 07-28-2005, 04:13 AM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

the tips make your exhaust exit smaller, making the tone higher pitched. larger exit, deeper sound.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:47 AM
stngman00
2nd Gear Member

So your saying that between 600-800 rpms I am getting the drone. If that's the case I am ok with it. But what made it start now. They have been on there for atleast a year and a half. And the noise just starts now after I take the tips that someone put on there off! Not saying your wrong or anything NeoTokyo but I find that a little hard to believe, I think that something has come lose or broken somewhere. But thanks for the help.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 07-28-2005, 05:16 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Well all mufflers age with use and tones can change, a Flowmaster is a chambered muffler with metal baffles so they age differently, mostly they dont change pitch at all because one of the metal baffles would have to come loose to do that.

The tips that were on the car, were they larger, the same size or smaller then the exhaust pipe? If they were smaller (Hard to believe) then the sound would improve, if they were the same size then the sound would improve because the exhaust system is shorter now, if they were larger then the sound should have not improved, probably gotten higher in the tone, but if it was a larger tip but about 18" long or longer then you would get a change in sound once again due to the shorter exhaust.

I doubt that your exhaust system is leaking or has broken open somewhere, you would hear a kind of ticking noise. Also, if you have cats on your system they can wear out and sometimes blow out the material, that is another possibility of the sound.

Otherwise I dont think its anything to worry about, your car is still running great and a little but lower tone is nothing to get worried over.

Welp good luck, and if you dont find the answer that you want here then just take it to a mechanic, they should be able to help you.

-Eric-
Old 07-28-2005, 05:20 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NeoTokyo

Well all mufflers age with use and tones can change, a Flowmaster is a chambered muffler with metal baffles so they age differently, mostly they dont change pitch at all because one of the metal baffles would have to come loose to do that.

The tips that were on the car, were they larger, the same size or smaller then the exhaust pipe? If they were smaller (Hard to believe) then the sound would improve, if they were the same size then the sound would improve because the exhaust system is shorter now, if they were larger then the sound should have not improved, probably gotten higher in the tone, but if it was a larger tip but about 18" long or longer then you would get a change in sound once again due to the shorter exhaust.

I doubt that your exhaust system is leaking or has broken open somewhere, you would hear a kind of ticking noise. Also, if you have cats on your system they can wear out and sometimes blow out the material, that is another possibility of the sound.

Otherwise I dont think its anything to worry about, your car is still running great and a little but lower tone is nothing to get worried over.

Welp good luck, and if you dont find the answer that you want here then just take it to a mechanic, they should be able to help you.

-Eric-

HUH.......................
Old 07-28-2005, 06:14 PM
stngman00
2nd Gear Member

The tips that I took off were about 4 inches long. What it did was slide of the tail pipe and then you tighten a bolt to keep it snug. I mean it was a bit bigger due to the fact it had to slide over the existening tailpipe, but not much bigger at all. It's not the deeper tone I am worried about, it's the bass noise that makes the car shake a little bit that I am worried about. And like I said this only happens around 600-800 rpms. This is the only noise I am worried about. I had a friend stand out side of my car today and I got it to make that noise, and they said that they couldn't hear the noise outside of the car but when you put your head in the car you can hear the deeper bass noise and you can feel the car shake a little bit. Any other ideas what it might be.

Thanks,

Mike

Quick Reply: Exhaust Tips