General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ford 302 in a ... 3rd gen Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 12:41 AM
BlitzKrieg

Default Ford 302 in a ... 3rd gen Camaro

Ok, before you laugh and think I'm making a good joke hear me out. First, I'm serious, second it would really **** off a lot of Camaro owners and that would make me happy. I love my Camaro, but I also love the Ford 302 (and the Mustang too actually). I have a 1990 RS with a blown SBC 305. Gave me 251,845 miles of service before dying from an unexpected oil leak that caused the engine to run with no oil for the final 10 miles of it's life.

My goal is to just return the entire car to good restored condition but have a Ford 302 under the hood. Problem is, I cannot for the life of me find any information of anyone who has done this swap before using Google. I've seen the other way around where Foxbody owners put Chevy 350's in their Mustangs but not Mustang engines in Fbodies. Anyone have any information on if this has been done before? Any information is greatly appreciated.

Note: Please do not come in here just to insult me, my car or my idea. If you don't like it please don't waste your time even posting. And, don't suggest I sell my Camaro and "just by a Mustang". That isn't going to happen.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Randys66gt
2nd Gear Member

Laugh....... I'd kiss you if you did it!!! The first thing you would need is:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-529600/
mounts would have to be fabbed and mustang exhaust should work cuz of all the room in the bay. The Ford is narrower than a small chevy so it'll work with a rear sump pan like from the fox body.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:43 PM
BlitzKrieg

Originally Posted by Randys66gt
Laugh....... I'd kiss you if you did it!!! The first thing you would need is:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-529600/
mounts would have to be fabbed and mustang exhaust should work cuz of all the room in the bay. The Ford is narrower than a small chevy so it'll work with a rear sump pan like from the fox body.
Oh awsome, that's a great start! So with that bellhousing adapter I would just need the mounts since I can use the rest of the GM drivetrain (which is in great condition anyway). That saves me tons of money on having to buy the transmission, axle and rearend.

Plus, since I will be customizing my instrument gauge cluster with autometer gauges I won't have to worry about splicing up a bunch of wiring from the Ford ECU.

What else would you guys think I'd need to do? I know I'll need the engine, ECU and fuel pump (I've got a low pressure pump since I've got a TBI engine).
Old 11-26-2010, 01:35 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I assume that you want the classic pushrod 302, not the new '11 5.0 DOHC modular 302 5.0L Coyote.

The pushrod 302 crate long blocks can be had for as little as less than $3K, and whatever else you add to them: headers, intake, etc. are all gravy to really making some sick power.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:37 PM
BlitzKrieg

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
I assume that you want the classic pushrod 302, not the new '11 5.0 DOHC modular 302 5.0L Coyote.

The pushrod 302 crate long blocks can be had for as little as less than $3K, and whatever else you add to them: headers, intake, etc. are all gravy to really making some sick power.
Definitely want the 302 windsor engine. I'm actually not even wanting a whole bunch of power so I'm not planning on buying an engine that's all decked out. Hell, the stock 302 from 1987-1993 is more powerful than my GM 305 from 1987-1992. Take a stock 302 add an intake, full exhaust and some ECU programming and it would already compete with even the 4th gen Z28.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:15 PM
BlitzKrieg

I have a question.

What difference besides intake is there in the 302 that sits in the F150, Thunderbird and Crown Victoria? I can more easily pickup an engine from one of these than a Mustang. Mustang owners are overcharging for their 302's just because it came out of a Mustang.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:42 PM
MuscratGT99
1st Gear Member

Sounds like a pretty involved project. Make sure you post up pictures!
Old 11-29-2010, 08:24 PM
BlitzKrieg

Originally Posted by MuscratGT99
Sounds like a pretty involved project. Make sure you post up pictures!
Will definitely post pictures once I restart the project. For now the things I can do are clean out the car and start the sanding down and gathering of the parts needed to finish the restoration job.

The hardest most involved part will actually be the prep-work for the paint along with the gathering/assembling the replacement interior.

Here's a couple of recent pics of the Camaro as it sits (along with my SVTF)

Last edited by BlitzKrieg; 03-03-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:35 PM
BlitzKrieg

The project is still a go and I'm going to need more information. In August the future wife and I are buying a house and thus will have a garage for my Camaro to sit in while I strip it down and start building it up.

The main questions I have are:
  • What are the main (or small?) differences in the 302W that came in the Crown Victoria, F150, Mustang and Cougar/Thunderbird (etc)?
  • What's the best years to get a 302 (and from what)?
  • Carbs or EFI--what's the better one to go with that makes it easier and or cheaper to modify to get at least 270~320bhp (or more)?
  • If going carbs what's the best brand and or shop (online or in person) to get a good affordable set of carbs? 2bbl or 4bbl or more?
  • If going with EFI is the Mustang ECU the best ECU to go with?
  • If I said screw all of that and wanted to add 2 or 3 small turbos to the EFI setup what kind of power would that give and how much? After all my engine bay will be free'd up for space going with a skinny 302 over my 305 (that's massively wide).

My main objective is to get a good setup that won't break my bank (wife wouldn't like that) and be able to walk a stock WS6/SS fbody or C5 non-ZO6 Vette.

Now, the turbo question was thrown in there if the wife lets me and my current SVTF is paid off AND the stars align plus get another promotion.

Last edited by BlitzKrieg; 03-03-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:08 PM
BlitzKrieg

*bump*

Any answers?

Google images is no help. Does anyone have a 302 with accessories sitting on a stand to take 360 degree pictures of? Maybe a 351 as well? I need to know about what if anything might interfere with my existing engine bay. Does anyone know if the 302 is shorter or less wide vs a SBC 305\350? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Ford 302 in a ... 3rd gen Camaro